We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Do all Leviton Dimmers have poor feedback from the dimmer bar?  (Read 3597 times)

Offline malbano

**Moved from other thread**

Now that the new low voltage Leviton Dimmer switches are more reasonably priced I decided to try the Leviton out for the first time by purchasing one new VRMX1 (SB-031-VRMX1-2B) and the matching LED Slave Accessory switch to see if I liked them before outfitting my entire first floor with them.  My question to you guys is about the feedback or feel that you are getting on the dimmer bar from the vizia rf line?  The pair that I have, they both have a very different feel or response and I don't know if the main dimmer switch is just faulty and needs to be replaced or if these dimmer bars on a whole are inconsistent from model to model. I find it hard to believe that the $20 aux switch has a much more distinct responsive click to it than the brand new redesigned $90 main dimmer that feels mushy and very difficult to even actuate a dim command. 

Is there anything I can do about this besides trying a replacement main switch, or is this common and I am wasting my time by doing so?  Is there anything I can do to the switch besides reseat and try different faceplates to improve the function of the dimmer bar?  What are your feelings on your leviton vizia switches?

Besides the dim bar, I do like how well these control my led can load and how well the aux dimmer switch works in concert with the main due to having an actual traveler wire between the two units .

Any feedback from you guys would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline AgileHumor

• KISS
Re: Do all Leviton Dimmers have poor feedback from the dimmer bar?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 11:38:07 am »
I have the older low voltage models and would not categorize them as mushy at all.

Maybe you just have a bad model.
WMC Leviton:18xVPE06,8xVRS15,3xVRP03-W,2xVRR15,4xVRCS4,2xVRCS2,VP00R,8xVRS15 Aeon:5xDSC06106,4xDSC24,4xDSC25,12xDSB29,2xDSC11,4xDSB54,DSB05,3xDSA22,DSA38,2xDSA03202B,DSB09104,HEM Other:3xYale,12xHSM100v3,7xSP103,45604,WDHA-12,SSA2USR,EVLCD1T,6xWWA02A,7xIPC-HFW2100,URTSI,Hue,Russound,OpenSprinker

Offline tbully

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 12:15:53 pm »
This is hard for me to type as I recently sunk a lot of money in to these switches......

Subjective analysis....

I love the feedback/feel of the on/off function.  The look (again, to me) is the best of the bunch as well.

With that said, I agree that the dimmer control has A LOT to be desired.  I don't know if "mushy" is how I'd describe it but the lack of feedback and the effort/pressure exerted to control it is a bit much.  The kids are having trouble controlling them. (I have two 6-year old twin girls....)  The LED brightness indicator is also too dim.  I wish you could control that like you can with the Insteons.  You really have to look at it in certain lighting conditions to see them.

I tested almost every dimmer out there before going with Leviton.  I even have a few Insteon models around.  To me, the best dimmer control was the Coopers.  However, the Leviton (especially after the price drop) won over the wife and I over from an ascetics standpoint.  Customer support is fantastic at Leviton while Cooper's was non-existent.  I couldn't get them to return my calls.

Hope this helps.

Offline malbano

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 02:58:27 pm »
TBully, do you have any of the aux dimmer switches or other leviton vista rf switch versions to compare the dimmer bar too?  Are they all relatively consistent in their feel?  My assumption is that I just had a little bad luck and got a bad unit because the aux switch bar isn't perfect but it is more than acceptable while the dimmer one just has no feedback at all and hardly dims unless i am pushing very hard on it. The aux switch will give me a slight click while the main is like pushing into a pillow.  Everything else is great with these so I will probably give a replacement a shot before moving onto another brand.  The on off bottom paddle push is great on these.

Offline AgileHumor

• KISS
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 03:17:18 pm »
The 3 leg aux switch and exactly it's exactly same as the others.
WMC Leviton:18xVPE06,8xVRS15,3xVRP03-W,2xVRR15,4xVRCS4,2xVRCS2,VP00R,8xVRS15 Aeon:5xDSC06106,4xDSC24,4xDSC25,12xDSB29,2xDSC11,4xDSB54,DSB05,3xDSA22,DSA38,2xDSA03202B,DSB09104,HEM Other:3xYale,12xHSM100v3,7xSP103,45604,WDHA-12,SSA2USR,EVLCD1T,6xWWA02A,7xIPC-HFW2100,URTSI,Hue,Russound,OpenSprinker

Offline Katmai

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 12:44:00 am »
I initially tried out some Levitons just as a test and came to the same conclusions as well. I like the look, but the dimmer bar was too difficult and "mushy" as you say to actuate. It doesn't have any kind of positive feel and takes quite a bit more pressure for such a small switch. Putting that much pressure on such a small spot actually hurts my finger a bit. The LED indicator is also too dim for my tastes and can't be seen from all angles very well. On the other hand I really like the look. I ended up going with Coopers instead as they LEDs were much brighter, and although there is no real click, the switch and dimmer are very easy to actuate.

Offline tbully

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 09:14:29 am »
All of my Levitons feel the same.....   

Offline TC1

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 11:21:56 am »
Pretty much same opinion as others. I bought a couple of Levitons to try out first, and both the wife and I hate the mechanical feel/feedback of the dim bar. It's a deal breaker for me.

So my short list is down to the Cooper Decorator (cheaper) or Designer series, or the Linear/Evolve dimmers. I might use the new 'neutral required' GEs in some situations, but they are limited because they don't support being a controller for group associations. The Coopers also have the edge because they support Instant Status and direct associations, but they are more money.

just my 2-cents.

-TC

Offline malbano

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 05:05:23 pm »
So today I contact my seller to get a replacement for what I believe to be a bad dimmer as discussed in my earlier posts.

It turns out that they only have one other unit on hand, and after they checked it before shipping it to me as a replacement, they  too feel that one has a horrible dim bar action to it.  So little was learned today and either the seller received a bad batch, or Leviton's design on this new unit is worse than previous models.  The seller is going to order a few more in from a different batch to see if those units are any different. I will try to give you guys an update next week to see if this problem is just an isolated batch or if the new stuff has just changed.  In the mean time I will order in some Coopers to see if they will play nice with my LED can lights.

Offline TC1

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 05:15:16 pm »
@malbano, any 3-wire dimmer (uses a neutral wire) will more than likely work fine with LED lights. It's only the older/cheaper 2-wire dimmers you have to stay away from.

Offline JamesDVB

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 08:47:58 am »
I just received one of the new Leviton VRMX1-1LZ dimmers yesterday (direct from Leviton).

I can confirm the issue with the dimmer bar being nearly impossible to work on the VRMX1-1LZ.  The dimmer control on my VRE06-1LZ works fine, but on the new VRMX1-1LZ you have to press REALLY hard and fiddle with it to get it to change the brightness.  Something is different in the dimmer bar button, and the new VRMX1-1LZ's is horrible.

As a side note, just like virtually every other dimmer I've tried (Cooper RF9540-N, Fibaro FGD211, Lutron Maestro C*L), the VRMX1-1LZ causes my LED bulbs to hum.  The only dimmer I've tried that doesn't cause the LEDs to hum is the Leviton VRE06-1LZ, and they're crazy expensive. I have neutrals, I've confirmed my wiring, and I've tried 7 different brands/models of dimmable LED bulbs.  They all hum on any of the dimmers except the VRE06-1LZ.