We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Everspring ST814 reading frequency  (Read 9218 times)

Offline AndreasE

Everspring ST814 reading frequency
« on: April 16, 2014, 08:53:12 am »
I have an Everspring ST814 temp/humidity sensor. As of now the temperature and humidity are read whenever these are changing. However, I would like the temperature and humidity to be read (say) every hour. I've tried disabling auto report in the sensor and changing the wake up interval and poll settings in the device settings, but with no luck.

Offline BulldogLowell

Re: Everspring ST814 reading frequency
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 09:30:35 am »
Wakeup is a parameter that opens up a communications window to allow configuration changes and changing its frequency will not affect the frequency of its readings.

I'm guessing that the firmware is programmed to transmit on changes, as to preserve battery life.

However, I would like the temperature and humidity to be read (say) every hour.

Are you asking for a report that takes a reading from your sensor at hourly intervals, or are you looking to make sure that the sensor is maintaining and reporting its states with sufficient frequency?

Offline AndreasE

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 12:49:55 pm »
Are you asking for a report that takes a reading from your sensor at hourly intervals, or are you looking to make sure that the sensor is maintaining and reporting its states with sufficient frequency?

The latter.

Offline BulldogLowell

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 01:12:50 pm »
don't trust it, eh?

Whole degrees C or F make it a problem, too.  If it reported back decimal changes in temperature, it would report back an order of magnitude more often...

Offline AndreasE

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 02:14:26 pm »
Well, as of now, no updates can mean nothing has changed, or complete breakdown. It would be nice to know witch.

Offline AndreasE

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 04:13:16 am »
Does anybody have a clue how to poll the device say every hour?

Offline RexBeckett

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 06:24:33 am »
Does anybody have a clue how to poll the device say every hour?

You could create a scene to run every hour and select the Poll action for your device on the ADVANCED tab. It may not achieve what you want, though. If it is a battery-operated device, the poll will be queued until the next device wake-up.

Offline TC1

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 01:11:49 pm »
As previously stated, battery operated devices only transmit on changes, in order to preserve battery.

Checking a temperature sensor is easy, simply put a hot or cold source near it. I blow dryer set on low can elevate it, something like a small fan or compressed air can can lower temp. You should then see temp changes in Vera.

Offline BulldogLowell

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 01:45:37 pm »
If you switch to MySensors you can have it report at specified intervals, and it will display the time last updated.  Battery or no battery, as you like.

Offline AndreasE

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 01:01:40 pm »
As previously stated, battery operated devices only transmit on changes, in order to preserve battery.

Checking a temperature sensor is easy, simply put a hot or cold source near it. I blow dryer set on low can elevate it, something like a small fan or compressed air can can lower temp. You should then see temp changes in Vera.
My sensor is not in the vicinity, so doing manual tricks will not work. As I said, no updates would mean everything is like it used to be - or a dead sensor. If it's -35 degrees outside, I would like to know if the sensor is sending data correctly or is dead.

Offline BulldogLowell

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 01:36:55 pm »
this is sort of a 'nature of the beast' thing with the battery devices.  Be assured that if the device does not get successfully polled, meaning that it is no longer in communication with Vera, it should show as an error on the device on your dashboard.

Even indoors, temperature and light are changing incrementally with enough frequency that you can have some assurance that it is working.

Another thing to worry about is the battery, which (you may know) you can monitor and send an alert when it drops to an uncomfortable level.

You may want to try to generate an alert if the device is reporting the exact same readings for more than X hours.  Look at PLEG for that.

Offline AndreasE

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 01:45:12 pm »
this is sort of a 'nature of the beast' thing with the battery devices.  Be assured that if the device does not get successfully polled, meaning that it is no longer in communication with Vera, it should show as an error on the device on your dashboard.
I've read that Vera reacts on no communication after days, rather than after hours.

Offline AndreasE

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2014, 02:19:32 am »
This is hard for me to understand. I do understand that the sensor only reports changing entities, but I did turn off autoreport. Still, the sensor only reports changing entities. How come?

Offline TC1

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2014, 10:58:38 am »
This is hard for me to understand. I do understand that the sensor only reports changing entities, but I did turn off autoreport. Still, the sensor only reports changing entities. How come?

It's been stated over and over, to preserve battery life.

If the Z-wave device is permanently powered during the inclusion process, then it can be polled on a regular basis. This is part of the Z-wave process/specification.

Offline AndreasE

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2014, 01:42:06 am »
It's been stated over and over, to preserve battery life.

I understand that. But I have disabled autoreport? According to the manual autoreport means setting the temp/humidity changes on which the sensor will autoreport. If I disable autoreport, why does it autoreport anyway?