We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Everspring ST814 reading frequency  (Read 9217 times)

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
Re: Everspring ST814 reading frequency
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2014, 06:02:11 am »
The ST814 can auto-report based on time, and based on delta. Or Vera could poll it.

Presumably, you have set parameters 7 and 8 to 0, which is supposed to disable auto-reporting based on delta.
Did you also set parameter 6 to 0? If so, you could set the wakeup to 1 hour, and the poll interval to 60.
Alternatively, you could set parameter 6 to 1 hour, the wakeup to say 1 day, and the poll interval to 60.

Having the sensor push the values may be more reliable than having Vera pull the values.

Just looking to confirm what you have tried / are looking to do; I have not actually tried your use case on a sensor yet. (Mine are set to auto-report on delta *and* time.)

Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline AndreasE

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2014, 07:07:03 am »
Yes, I did set parameters 6, 7 and 8 to 0. Still, the sensor only reports on delta.  ???

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2014, 08:29:50 am »
Thanks for confirming that. I'll see if I can find a moment to attempt to reproduce this.

What did you set the wake-up and poll interval to? And how are you confirming that the device only sends deltas / are you saying you see the values change outside of the wake-up interval?

Offline AndreasE

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2014, 09:21:31 am »
I've set the poll and wake up to 3 600 (seconds). I'm using the log function in EventWatcher to see that only deltas are reported.

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2014, 09:41:11 am »
OK; but are these deltas reported right when you would expect them? That is, they are spaced a multiple of 3600 seconds (i.e. the wake-up interval) apart?

I tested the parameters. It appears to behave as expected: settings parameters 7 and 8 to 0 will stop auto-reporting based on the configured delta. Setting parameter 6 to 1, will cause readings to be pushed to Vera every minute.

At the Z-Wave level the values are always reported, whether they changed or not. Vera does appear to update the timestamp for unchanged values also.

Presumably it is your way of monitoring (i.e. EventWatcher and its underlying mechanism (which may be the variable_watch mechanism provided by Luup) to lead you to believe the device only reports deltas, where in fact it's Vera?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 09:44:24 am by oTi@ »

Offline akbooer

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • "Less is more"
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2014, 12:10:58 pm »
... EventWatcher and its underlying mechanism (which may be the variable_watch mechanism provided by Luup)

...indeed it is.
3x Vera Lite-UI5/Edge-UI7, 25x Fibaro, 23x TKB, 9x MiniMote, 2x NorthQ Power, 2x Netatmo, 1x Foscam FI9831P, 9x Philips Hue,
Razberry, MySensors Arduino, HomeWave, AltUI, AltHue, DataYours, Grafana, openLuup, ZWay, ZeroBrane Studio.

Offline AndreasE

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2014, 02:20:04 pm »

OK; but are these deltas reported right when you would expect them? That is, they are spaced a multiple of 3600 seconds (i.e. the wake-up interval) apart?

No, the time stamps are completely random. Sometimes there's hours in between readings, sometimes minutes. Annoyingly, it seems that that setting autoreport features (i e parameter 8 set to 5 or 0) has no effect whatsoever on reporting. The sensor still reports humidity deltas of 1 though I've set parameter 8 to 5. Setting parameter 6,7 and 8 to 0 doesn't change the behaviour in any way.

Presumably it is your way of monitoring (i.e. EventWatcher and its underlying mechanism (which may be the variable_watch mechanism provided by Luup) to lead you to believe the device only reports deltas, where in fact it's Vera?

Well, that could be it. Is that a bug? Is there some other way to monitor this?

Offline akbooer

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • "Less is more"
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2014, 02:26:26 pm »

You could poll the device variable but it would tell you the same as the variable watch. This is apparently a problem with the device, or the way that the MCV driver handles it.  Either way there's not an obvious way to code around it.  I can't really see what problem this gives you.
3x Vera Lite-UI5/Edge-UI7, 25x Fibaro, 23x TKB, 9x MiniMote, 2x NorthQ Power, 2x Netatmo, 1x Foscam FI9831P, 9x Philips Hue,
Razberry, MySensors Arduino, HomeWave, AltUI, AltHue, DataYours, Grafana, openLuup, ZWay, ZeroBrane Studio.

Offline AndreasE

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2014, 02:44:59 pm »
You could poll the device variable but it would tell you the same as the variable watch. This is apparently a problem with the device, or the way that the MCV driver handles it.  Either way there's not an obvious way to code around it.  I can't really see what problem this gives you.
The problem would be to tell if the sensor i completely dead or just sensing the same temp and humidity. As far as I have understood it, Vera reports non responding sensors after days.

As of now, in my cabin, I have a camera watching a physical thermometer and the camera ftp:s the pictures to a web page that I check on a regular basis. Once, I had a power brownout on a really cold day. I did check the web page, but did not realise that the power was down as there was no time stamp on the images. After this incident, I wan't temperature reportings on a regular basis, say every hour.

Also, it seems that others have discovered that there are issues with the ST814 sensor:

http://www.dreamgreenhouse.com/projects/2012/zwave/index.php
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 02:48:19 pm by AndreasE »

Offline akbooer

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • "Less is more"
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2014, 02:53:41 pm »
I want temperature reportings on a regular basis, say every hour.

If it's that critical, use different hardware.  I switched to Netatmo for exactly these reasons, and get readings every ten minutes (and one decimal place on temperature.)

Also, it seems that others have discovered that there are issues with the ST814 sensor:

http://www.dreamgreenhouse.com/projects/2012/zwave/index.php

Yes, I love that website.  Always an interesting read.  Their 'Wasp in a Box' algorithm for calculating occupancy is terrific.

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2014, 10:44:50 am »
No, the time stamps are completely random. Sometimes there's hours in between readings, sometimes minutes.
I see. Do the parameters show 0 as their current value? It seems as if your updated settings didn't make it to the device, after a wake-up. (I manually forced the update by pushing the link button, but that's not an option for you as this is a remote device.)

Well, this is actually a scenario where the updates are pushed (or pulled) regularly, say every hour, but you don't see the update of an unchanged value because of how you observe the variable.

You could have a custom scene with some Luup that monitors the timestamp of the updates and 'do something' if you observe an anomaly. Or, if you used the wake-up mechanism, you could monitor the LastWakeup variable. That one should change (as its contents are the timestamp itself). I don't know if you can do this in EventWatcher.

I'm going to guess, based on the linked thread, that that is old info. Or put differently, originally, there were some issues observed with the ST814 when used with Vera. Even though the root cause could be considered a bug in the ST814, a workaround was posted here (on that same thread). And MCV has since included that workaround in Vera's firmware, so things should work out-of-the-box. I'm not aware of other issues with the ST814.

Offline akbooer

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • "Less is more"
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2014, 10:50:03 am »
Or, if you used the wake-up mechanism, you could monitor the LastWakeup variable. That one should change (as its contents are the timestamp itself). I don't know if you can do this in EventWatcher.
No, but you can do it in dataMine or DataYours.

Offline AndreasE

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2014, 03:26:43 pm »
No, the time stamps are completely random. Sometimes there's hours in between readings, sometimes minutes.
I see. Do the parameters show 0 as their current value? It seems as if your updated settings didn't make it to the device, after a wake-up. (I manually forced the update by pushing the link button, but that's not an option for you as this is a remote device.)

Yes, they do.

I'm going to guess, based on the linked thread, that that is old info.

Apparently not. To me it seems obvious that a sensor should either report automatically on deltas or whenever you wan't it to. If I don't want to save battery, I'm capable to decide that on my own. Also, what kind of crappy software system would not automatically give you the timestamps of entities in a readable form if you want. In fact, Vera is the first system I've ever seen that doesn't. Hey, all I wan't is the LastWakeup or BatteryDate presented to me in readable form together with the temp/humidity, just to know that the sensor is alive.

I'm giving up. 
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 03:28:38 pm by AndreasE »

Offline dzmiller

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2014, 04:13:17 pm »
The only reliably pollable temperature reporting devices are actual HVAC thermostats that were included while on line power, AFAIK. 
No one has ever been satisfied trying to turn the ST814 into something it isn't. I use the st814 to control a humidity range in my basement. I consider it to be the best designed and built battery powered zwave device I own.
I recently replaced my piece of crap fortezz water sensor with the Everspring model. Night and day on build quality.
If Everspring actually had customer service I would buy all their products just to acknowledge product designers who put skilled effort into their work.

Offline BulldogLowell

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2014, 04:34:48 pm »
I'm giving up.

Andreas,

Take a look at the MySensors website and I can tell you you can get exactly what you are looking for for less money to get your bridge and sensor working.

PLUS, those devices report their last read time right on the Device in the vera UI.

You can transmit temperature and humidity at any interval you wish.

They are easy to build, require no soldering or programming skills, Hek's MySensors team has it down pretty well...

Good Luck in your quest, sorry you haven't been able to get there yet.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 05:12:06 pm by Bulldoglowell »