We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Everspring ST814 reading frequency  (Read 9210 times)

Offline AndreasE

Re: Everspring ST814 reading frequency
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2014, 02:43:37 am »
Am I the only one that believes that some sort of time stamp should be presented together with the entity? As I said, Vera is the first system that I've came across that doesn't. Even my kitchen oven has a digital clock.

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2014, 07:51:54 am »
Yes, they do.
OK. Have you tried setting the parameters to some other, non-zero, value; just to see if those take effect appropriately, and you're thus seeing an issue specifically with disabling?

(As said, in my brief test the other day, setting the parameters to stop auto-reporting based on delta worked fine, and setting auto-report based on time interval, appeared to work also; I tried 1 minute and 2 minute intervals.)

Apparently not.
What is this in reference to?

To me it seems obvious that a sensor should either report automatically on deltas or whenever you wan't it to. If I don't want to save battery, I'm capable to decide that on my own.
To me too.

Also, what kind of crappy software system would not automatically give you the timestamps of entities in a readable form if you want. In fact, Vera is the first system I've ever seen that doesn't. Hey, all I wan't is the LastWakeup or BatteryDate presented to me in readable form together with the temp/humidity, just to know that the sensor is alive.
Am I the only one that believes that some sort of time stamp should be presented together with the entity? As I said, Vera is the first system that I've came across that doesn't. Even my kitchen oven has a digital clock.
Nope, you're not the only one. It would be very handy if these time stamps were easily accessible and in human readable form. I didn't think that was news. Given the frequency of firmware updates and MCV taking in our feedback, you're best off going with a forum suggestion.

(At this point, I actually wish my kitchen oven didn't have a digital clock, or that it supports NTP. ;D)
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline dzmiller

« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2014, 09:55:15 am »
The Everspring isn't designed to report temperature accurately at a high reporting frequency. If it could be programmed to report or be polled frequently the next complaint would be that the device sucks as a thermostat.
The Aeon multisensor can be plugged in and set to report temperature frequently. It just doesn't report an accurate temperature as it heats up from being frequently awake. The multisensor is a great example of how a device trying to do many things ends up doing nothing particularly well.
A battery powered thermostat capable of being polled reliability is about three times the cost of the Everspring. An example is the Remotec ZTS-100. It's sluggish in answering the poll if set up on battery, but it will answer. Its a more robust device with a thermal design that is intended as a thermostat that is awake and busy on the network.
I would like my car to fly, but I didn't pay for a flying car.

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2014, 10:31:59 am »
Just wanted to clarify that the OP's use case appears to be a reasonable temperature report, say every hour, with an observable time stamp to assure the reading is current, but no other reporting, so as to maximize battery life; as this is a sensor in a remote, cold location. (Presumably some form of immediate action is required if the temperature starts to approach freezing levels.)
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline dzmiller

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2014, 02:38:37 pm »
He may need to capture the group 1 report to get a timestamp, which Vera may not see correctly. From what I remember always been a question as to whether Vera handles this aspect of this device correctly.

On vera the people dissatisfied with device are really wanting something pollable. On dream green house they could have let the device trigger and set a virtual switch like "high humidity". Then they could use that switch in their logic.

Offline AndreasE

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2014, 03:13:17 pm »
OK. Have you tried setting the parameters to some other, non-zero, value; just to see if those take effect appropriately, and you're thus seeing an issue specifically with disabling?

Yes, I tried to set paramater 8 to 1 and the sensor started to report like crazy even though I set parameter 6 to 60 (minutes, that is). Setting parameter 6 to 1, 7 to 0 and 8 to 0 doesn't doesn't change the behaviour, i e the sensor only reports on delta (according to EventWatcher).

I don't quite understand the settings. Setting parameter 8 to 1 (autoreport on humidity changing by 1) and parameter 6 to 0 (autoreport off), what does that imply? Setting parameter 7 and 8 to 0 and parameter 6 to 60?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 04:42:17 am by AndreasE »