We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Geofencing setup problem  (Read 4181 times)

Offline mikee123

Geofencing setup problem
« on: April 18, 2014, 07:45:19 am »
I have an iPhone 4 on iOS 7.04, and just installed iViri 1.1 from the app store. Getting it to see Vera and control it was no problem at all.
I set up a geofence home, with a radius of 50m. On my Android phone i have a geofence setting of 325m which works well but for testing purposes on the iphone i set it to 50m. I have set the virtual switch to off as away. I walked out of the house to test, my Androis phone told me i was away, walked further but nothing from the iphone. So i walked back to the house but still nothing from the iphone (iViri). The geofence is turned on (i think), the switch in iViri - geofences is green. I have got the right device number set up in the geofence setting of iViri. (suggestion for future releases, can you enable switching a multi switch as well)
Any suggestions ?

Offline jpete7683

Re: Geofencing setup problem
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 02:02:40 pm »
I have an iPhone 4 on iOS 7.04, and just installed iViri 1.1 from the app store. Getting it to see Vera and control it was no problem at all.
I set up a geofence home, with a radius of 50m. On my Android phone i have a geofence setting of 325m which works well but for testing purposes on the iphone i set it to 50m. I have set the virtual switch to off as away. I walked out of the house to test, my Androis phone told me i was away, walked further but nothing from the iphone. So i walked back to the house but still nothing from the iphone (iViri). The geofence is turned on (i think), the switch in iViri - geofences is green. I have got the right device number set up in the geofence setting of iViri. (suggestion for future releases, can you enable switching a multi switch as well)
Any suggestions ?

Multi-switch is supported in v1.2 which has been submitted to the apple store, just waiting for approval.  As for your issue, is the app still running?  Killed off and in the background?
I am the developer of iViri.  iViri is available in Apple Store.  Check out its Voice Control and Geofence integration, which causes less battery drain than the other options for locating an iphone.

Offline mikee123

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 02:13:15 pm »
Yes the app is still running in the background

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Offline jpete7683

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 02:23:45 pm »
Can you just up and drive a couple miles away and come back home, see if  your switch turns on when you are home, and check it via iViri when you are away that it turns off.  Setup your notifications so you get those to see when it is getting triggered.  iOS is closed off and I cannot force your phone to scan geofence exit/enters but the iPhone listens for the iOS to deliver these call back events.
I am the developer of iViri.  iViri is available in Apple Store.  Check out its Voice Control and Geofence integration, which causes less battery drain than the other options for locating an iphone.

Offline mikee123

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 05:56:39 am »
I think i might have got a clue as to why its not working. The app has crashed. When i try to open the app, its stuck on the screen with the house and the microphone in. I ended the app in the task manager, reopened, same thing. Sometimes after a while it just goes back to the springboard, other times i have to turn off the phone and restart it. So something is not right. I have uninstalled the app, and reinstalled. Will let you know how i get on. If there is a log i can send you to help debugging please let me know how to get to it and more than happy to try to help developing the app

Offline jpete7683

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 07:31:51 pm »
I think i might have got a clue as to why its not working. The app has crashed. When i try to open the app, its stuck on the screen with the house and the microphone in. I ended the app in the task manager, reopened, same thing. Sometimes after a while it just goes back to the springboard, other times i have to turn off the phone and restart it. So something is not right. I have uninstalled the app, and reinstalled. Will let you know how i get on. If there is a log i can send you to help debugging please let me know how to get to it and more than happy to try to help developing the app

Email me your UDID (support@instruodev.com) of you device and register with test flight and I will get you v1.2 early to try.  I have had positive results from iPhone 4 users on the upcoming release.  The only things that cause crashes in iViri are devices with improper configuration for connection info or if you don't allow mios server to talk to your Vera.

Offline mikee123

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 04:23:28 am »
Since my upgrade to v1.2 my geofence has been working really well. But when my wife comes home by car, it is sometimes a bit late to switch her to 'home'. So I decided to make the geofence a bit bigger, I changed it to the same radius as I have on my Android phone. I clicked on the home geofence, changed the distance, saved. Then I closed iViri in the task manager. I then clicked on the iViri app to restart it (I don't know if it has to run in the background to work, that would be interesting to know)
My wife left the house this morning but the phone for the first time ! since upgrading to v1.2 did not detect her leaving. Am I doing something wrong, have I missed something ?

Offline jpete7683

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 06:20:10 pm »
Since my upgrade to v1.2 my geofence has been working really well. But when my wife comes home by car, it is sometimes a bit late to switch her to 'home'. So I decided to make the geofence a bit bigger, I changed it to the same radius as I have on my Android phone. I clicked on the home geofence, changed the distance, saved. Then I closed iViri in the task manager. I then clicked on the iViri app to restart it (I don't know if it has to run in the background to work, that would be interesting to know)
My wife left the house this morning but the phone for the first time ! since upgrading to v1.2 did not detect her leaving. Am I doing something wrong, have I missed something ?

As for leaving the app running, you can kill the app and it will still trigger the geofence as long as you are running iOS 7.1 or greater.  If she is on iOS 7.0 the app will need to run in the background.  There might have been an issue when you resaved the geofence where it detected her as already away so when she left the house it didn't fire as the code determined her to already be away and it could fire when she comes home.  I have addressed this in v1.3, as when iViri was originally coded it used the GPS and not geofences to determine so I need that check to make sure it would only fire once and never again after that, but since moving to geofences we don't need that check and the check isn't always reliable so I have removed it and implemented iOS 7's multi-tasking API to handle this stuff in the background correctly.  With v1.3 we should see far more reliability around geofences when setting them up and adding them along with how they appear in the app, I have resolved the disappearing issues where they just go away and what not.

Offline mikee123

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 06:23:01 pm »
The geofence has just disappeared, so that was obviously causing the problem. So i set it up again, see if that works. If not i just delete the app and reinstall, and v1.3 should not be that far away anyway.

Offline jpete7683

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 06:34:31 pm »
The geofence has just disappeared, so that was obviously causing the problem. So i set it up again, see if that works. If not i just delete the app and reinstall, and v1.3 should not be that far away anyway.

It is really a timing issue when you add it and activate it.  If you wait after activating it then it should not disappear, like 10 - 20 seconds after activating it.  Then navigate to a different view in the app and back to it to see if it is there.  I have gone away from using NSUserDefaults for this reason as there was no way to sync the different operations and one operation could remove it before another activated and so on, so now in v1.3 I have a Singleton class that all updates and what not occur in that class causing it to be in sync.