We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Z-Wave for Light Switches For Ancient Wiring  (Read 4848 times)

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
Re: Z-Wave for Light Switches For Ancient Wiring
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2014, 11:15:42 am »
The corridor is similar setup in my house I think.

One wire ( neutral ) goes directly to the lamp. The other wire (Fase)  goes to the lightswitch and from the light switch to the lamp.
You can not (unless you pull some extra wires) insert a relais like fibaro at the lightswitch.

Not judging by what he is telling us. Your house is quiet common in older setups. But you have a hot and a neutral coming into the first light (usually in a romex depending on how old the house really is), then the hot comes back out of the box and heads down to the switch from another romex and comes back up after the switch in the same romex it went down in. Hot only from the switch.

Hmmm.  I think my problem is that at the load, I just have two wires: neutral, and the hot-load wire which comes directly from the switch (which is either hot or not, depending on the status of the switch).

Above might not be true but it's what he has told us so far. If there is more then one light on this switch maybe he's checking the wrong one.

Offline gymshoe

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2014, 03:44:45 pm »
I will have to look around for where all these wires come together as running new wires does not appear doable.

thanks for the help.

jim

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2014, 05:47:30 pm »
I will have to look around for where all these wires come together as running new wires does not appear doable.

thanks for the help.

jim

Running wires is always doable but is never a 5 min job and sometimes requires long drill bits and a crawlspace or attic. Electrician might be your next step if the wiring gets to complicated. No one want's to see you get hurt.

Offline gymshoe

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2014, 03:51:08 am »
LOL.
I did mean "doable by me".  I am usually good knowing my limits.

j

Offline aa6vh

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2014, 11:50:51 am »
Another possibility is to use a ZWave socket. It screws into the existing socket, and the bulb then screws into the Zwave socket. Might be easier to implement in an apartment.

Something like the Intermatic HA05 (though good luck finding one), or the Everspring model:

http://www.amazon.com/Everspring-Z-Wave-Screw-In-Socket-Module/dp/B00G3OEW9C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413560670&sr=8-1&keywords=zwave+socket

You would need to disable the existing light switch, to prevent cutting power to the ZWave socket.