We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Best dimmer for this use case  (Read 2219 times)

Offline TC1

Best dimmer for this use case
« on: April 18, 2014, 01:51:22 pm »
Use case: Three separate light circuits, A, B, and C. Want to put dimmers on each circuit with the control as follows.

A can control and dim itself, plus B and C
B can control and dim itself, plus A and C
C will only control itself.

I know that many dimmers support bilateral associations, IOW, associate A to B and B to A. I'm looking for real world experience on my particular use case.

The two dimmers that come to mind are Linear and Cooper (staying away from Leviton due to aesthetic reasons).

Thoughts? Experiences?

Thanks,

-TC

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
Re: Best dimmer for this use case
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 02:18:24 pm »
@TC1 - I know that the Levitons will do this, but I realize you don;t want to use them. The Coopers might do it too, I don't have any experience with them.

The Linears will NOT work. Contrary to their advertising and their manuals, the dimmer itself cannot be associated with another device. Their scene controller(no load) for 3-way installations can associate with other devices, but the Linear dimmer will not associate with another Linear(or anyone else's) dimmer.

When I ask Linear's sales and support about this, they do not respond.

Offline TC1

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 02:54:15 pm »
Thanks Z-Waver, that's important info. Sounds like you've helped me make a decision. I'll order some Coopers and see what happens, I'm pretty sure someone else has confirmed that they do support bilateral association with no problems. Plus, having instant status doesn't suck.

Thanks,

-TC

Offline AgileHumor

• KISS
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 08:14:01 pm »
While not as instant as you may want, this can be adjusted in code (PLEG):
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,23919.0.html

You may need a dimmer that supports "Instant Status"
WMC Leviton:18xVPE06,8xVRS15,3xVRP03-W,2xVRR15,4xVRCS4,2xVRCS2,VP00R,8xVRS15 Aeon:5xDSC06106,4xDSC24,4xDSC25,12xDSB29,2xDSC11,4xDSB54,DSB05,3xDSA22,DSA38,2xDSA03202B,DSB09104,HEM Other:3xYale,12xHSM100v3,7xSP103,45604,WDHA-12,SSA2USR,EVLCD1T,6xWWA02A,7xIPC-HFW2100,URTSI,Hue,Russound,OpenSprinker

Offline TC1

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 03:52:35 pm »
While not as instant as you may want, this can be adjusted in code (PLEG):
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,23919.0.html

You may need a dimmer that supports "Instant Status"

Right... which means Leviton or Cooper ;) Which both support direct associations, so no need for controller logic.

Offline Katmai

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 12:44:38 am »
I'm using mostly Cooper products all around. They do associate the way you describe. Switch A, B, and C are all configured individually to whatever other devices you want it to control. For example, to make A and B "bilateral" you would first have to program A and link it to B. Then A will control B but not vice versa. Then go into B and link it to A. Now they're associated both ways. You can come up with all kinds of combinations.

And they don't have to be similar switches either. A dimmer can control an on/off switch or vice versa, or a plug outlet, or any other device that supports it. I try to stay with one brand as various brands don't always cooperate with others.

Offline TC1

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 11:33:43 am »
@Katmai, great feedback, thanks for the insights. For my particular use case I'm going to keep them all dimmers, since i want to be able to dim the light levels together from either the A or B dimmer. As soon as I verify that I have the best pricing on Cooper Decorator series dimmers, I'll order a few.

-TC

Offline Katmai

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 11:39:07 pm »
As an aside if you're thinking of getting Coopers, the place I buy them from is really cheap lately (relatively). I posted this in another thread but some switches are half the normal price. Not sure if its a sale or not, but they usually drop ship from Cooper so its always new stuff. The site is http://www.westwayelectricsupply.com/

To expand, the association thing is nice. For example, my living room has a number of lights in it from the media center, overhead lights, desk lights, lamps, etc. Some dim, some do not. I have most of the lights connected to various Cooper switches or modules. Instead of going to each one to turn them on or off, I have a battery powered light switch they make which has a dimmer function. It looks like a normal light switch with a plate. I stuck it on a wall that is the most convenient for me but didn't have a light switch previously. I've associated all of these different modules to this battery switch, so now they all come on with one press. The dimmers will come on at the previously set dim level, and I can control them all from the one switch. I didn't associate any of the other switches backwards so I could turn them on or off individually from their respective locations.

Offline TC1

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 09:50:43 am »
Good to know @Katmai, thanks.

-TC