We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Vera Proximity New Android Applications  (Read 79792 times)

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
Re: Vera Proximity New Android Applications
« Reply #195 on: August 11, 2015, 08:37:17 pm »
I have fences for home and vacation home and work. I send notifications to my wife (and I receive notifications from her) when we leave work. 

I have 3 distances from my house. I use more then one to turn off my location incase it misses one. I also use the bigger outer one when entering to stop notifications of motion in driveway and front yard before I arrive home. If one of us is home for so long and the outter fence is tripped it also sends who's home a notification that I'm almost home.

smaller fence turns on front porch light and unlocks front door if I have crossed more then on and it now says I'm home.

At work It likes to bounce me out of the smaller circle. So I have a larger circle to say I'm gone and a smaller one to say I'm at work.

I generally like to have atleast 2 if not 3 size fences around the location to be able to watch for 2 tripping in a cirten direction to tell if your coming or going and to have a safety net of a false alert.

I also use a ping sensor ontop of geofence tho. Accurate home and away is important to me from running the roomba, locking unlocking doors or sending notifications.

Offline gwichman

« Reply #196 on: August 13, 2015, 07:12:24 pm »
very interesting an helpful.. how do you use the order that fences are tripped functionally? or do you?

e.g. i don't see anything in the app that allows me to specify "if entering fence 1 and then entering fence 2, do X" (because i know it implies that i'm coming or going in a certain direction). so it's not clear to me outside of having rundundent fences in case one doesn't trip invoking the same scene how to use that info.

what do you put for reporting interval? by default its blank?

i can't seem to delete a fence. somehow i accidentally created 3 for work and wanted to delete one but selecting it and selecting the X button does nothing.

how do you deal with when one of you is a work while the other chose to stay home? how do you prevent your device from putting the home in "away" mode when you cross a fence in that scenario?

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #197 on: August 14, 2015, 12:21:04 am »
very interesting an helpful.. how do you use the order that fences are tripped functionally? or do you?
VERA and PLEG does this not the app. App only trips a certain virtual switch on VERA.

e.g. i don't see anything in the app that allows me to specify "if entering fence 1 and then entering fence 2, do X" (because i know it implies that i'm coming or going in a certain direction). so it's not clear to me outside of having rundundent fences in case one doesn't trip invoking the same scene how to use that info.
Again VERA and PLEG does this not the app. App flips one button on the multiswitch then next fence cross trips another switch in vera. PLEG in vera looks at what just happens and useing order does what I have set. PLEG is the Logic. I don't use scenes. VP just flips on or off a button (or more then one depending on fence) and the app is done.

what do you put for reporting interval? by default its blank?
Not used I think it says.

i can't seem to delete a fence. somehow i accidentally created 3 for work and wanted to delete one but selecting it and selecting the X button does nothing.
Haven't looked or know off the top of my head what your issue is.

how do you deal with when one of you is a work while the other chose to stay home? how do you prevent your device from putting the home in "away" mode when you cross a fence in that scenario?
My home is set in home mode when anyone of us are at home. So if I leave but wife is at home it knows I have left but she hasn't. Since one or more of us is at home don't auto lock doors or send me notifications any time there is motion, door or window opened or .........Ect.  But as soon as everyone else also leave it sends me a notification wife left home, and now from that point until one of us arrives back home the house will send me alerts, if any door opens, motion is tripped in any room, any door is opened, outside gate or pretty much anything changes while we all gone.

PLEG is all my logic for the above, I don't use scense nor would that have the power to do this. PLEG is the heart.

Offline williams2353

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #198 on: August 22, 2015, 07:05:47 am »
I am using Vera Proximity on my wife's phone to provide a PLEG with home and away status, using the inner and outer geofence logic described by Richard Schaefer, and it is working well.  What I can't figure out is how to stop Vera Proximity notifications on her phone?  I would like for the app to carry out the Vera actions without any messages or notifications on the device.

"Disable Alerts" is checked, but she is still getting them.  It is a Samsung Galaxy S5, Android 5.0.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Tom Williams

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #199 on: August 22, 2015, 08:20:45 am »
Edit each Fence Action ...
Turn off the notifications for that action.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #200 on: August 24, 2015, 06:46:52 pm »
Richard,

When upgrading your phone is there away to export all your data, fences and such to your new unrooted phone?

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #201 on: August 24, 2015, 07:00:53 pm »
There is no way to go from a Normal Phone to a rooted phone.
That's an Android security feature.

You can go from a Rooted phone to another rooted phone ... since you can access the APP's cached files which is where all of the settings are stored.

Titanium Backup is a good app for this for Rooted phones!

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #202 on: August 24, 2015, 07:08:56 pm »
There is no way to go from a Normal Phone to a rooted phone.
That's an Android security feature.

You can go from a Rooted phone to another rooted phone ... since you can access the APP's cached files which is where all of the settings are stored.

Titanium Backup is a good app for this for Rooted phones!

How about Not Rooted to Not Rooted.

Yes I have used Titanium Backup before, but new phone (Note 5) and KNOX and Samsung Pay might not play so nice with rooted especially yet.

The deal currently is I already went from note 4 to note 5 (rooted to unrooted) and I manually redid everything from scratch. Its working now on my unrooted note 5. But I currently have an issue with my Note 5 that's only a week old and I'm going to get a replacement. I don't want to have to redo everything again from scratch again.

So now I need to transfer from Note5 to Note 5 both stock. Any way to backup something to cut down on me re making all my fences.

Also I tried to run registration (as I assume I am on my 30 day trial with this new device) but I don't see how to get a serial key or if I even need one. How does registration work when changing phones (I swapped both mine and my wifes phones to note 5's and we were both running VP before on 3 different vera's)

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #203 on: August 24, 2015, 09:36:14 pm »
To copy NON-ROOTED to NOT-ROOTED you need to copy the files in the cache directory for the app.

Offline alpha1

« Reply #204 on: October 12, 2015, 05:06:35 am »
Hi Richard

How do i go about registering Vera Proximity.

I have 2 devices id like to register

Thanks
N

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #205 on: October 12, 2015, 12:42:18 pm »
Hi Richard

How do i go about registering Vera Proximity.

I have 2 devices id like to register

Thanks
N

Open Vera Proximity, go to settings, scroll down to registration key, select the VERA your using this on and click the registration portal button.

Offline embeeded

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #206 on: February 08, 2016, 02:28:22 am »
I just installed this nice app and I have some several questions:

1 - What is the recommend fence configuration for detecting home/away? I don't need a complicated solution
2 - Do I need to play with the rapid update option?
3 - Can I get phone notifications when I enter/exit fence?

Thanks!

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #207 on: February 08, 2016, 11:32:27 am »
I just installed this nice app and I have some several questions:

1 - What is the recommend fence configuration for detecting home/away? I don't need a complicated solution
2 - Do I need to play with the rapid update option?
3 - Can I get phone notifications when I enter/exit fence?

Thanks!

1 -  a single fence can do that
2 - You don't have to but you should if you want a faster update. By default your phone on checks it location every so often to say battery on using all the sensors. (you should use most accurate in your gps location settings under andriod side) Rapid update puts your phone in a constant check for what ever period you want. I most common way to use this is to make a larger fence around your house and when entering that fence have it run a rapid update for several min (long enough to pass the smaller fence). When you pass the larger fence depending on when your phone polls it's location it may or may not update right away (make sure the fence is large enough to kick in rapid update before you cross the small fence). So if you run only one small fence around your house, you might get home and it takes a min or two before it actually says your home without rapid update. 
I have doors unlock and outside motion sensors stop sensing notifications when I get home. If my update was delayed I would get alot of unwanted notifications as I pulled up the driveway walked on front porch and had to manually unlock the door.  I also don't want to set the fence so far away that it unlocks my door before I can see my house. This is where rapid update shines. Not using Rapid Update may or may not be fine for your needs.

3- Yes under the fence you have vera actions but you also have "local alerts". That is to vibrate or notify your own phone. Besides some minor testing (which this doesn't account for internet and vera delay) I'm not sure why you would need to know when your phone is home.

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #208 on: February 08, 2016, 12:42:59 pm »
If you make the Fence radius to small you can have two types of problems:

1) When you leave (if you have poor GPS coverage inside your house)
    You might cross the fence before your have good GPS quality. And if the quality is below threshold, the transition will be lost.

2) If its two small and you have poor GPS coverage ... it might convert to cell phone triangulation, which is less accurate and place you outside of you small fence.

The reason for SMS is not to notify yourself, but to notify some one else if you are leaving or arriving at a location.

Offline embeeded

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #209 on: February 08, 2016, 12:53:43 pm »
thanks, this is what I configured:
1 - fence 0.5 mile with actions on entry / exit
2 - fence 2.0 miles with rapid update for 10 minutes (1000) on entry

Let me know what you think.