Author Topic: Vera Proximity New Android Applications  (Read 48386 times)

Offline clippermiami

Re: Vera Proximity New Android Applications
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2014, 11:42:24 am »
Thats why I need to see a crash report ... the IDE is usually pretty good about flagging these potential problems.

I've sent it again this time from the HTC One VX (Android 4.0.4) [I've already uninstalled it from the Android 4.1.1 device but I'll be happy to reinstall]
Two Vera Plus UI7 Linked via HTTP, 90+ Devices. PlugIns: PLEG, DSC, Blue Iris, MySensors,  AutoVera, ImperiHome, VeraAlerts, EventWatcher

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2014, 06:41:14 pm »

4) When I leave or enter my fence, my phone is in a state of "wifi" confusion as it is trying to figure out if it can connect. Will the app attempt to resend the command X times until it knows it went through? I noticed when I left that I got a popup stating "No data connect". I think it was from this app. It could have been authomation though as I had it up to check on the multiswitch status
Also want to know how this app responds to no data connection, but I think that's all in the setting on how often it reports. Maybe a better understanding from Richard would be goo tho. I also see there is some instant report settings under the fence too.
[/quote]

Richard after I cross the geofence how many retries or so does this app attempt to send the command? And currently it never checks back in with vera to make sure that virtual switch is correct?

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
    • RTS Services Plugins
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2014, 09:24:43 pm »
@clippermiami
I received the crash report today ... I think there is a 1 day delay in delivering them.

I use a feature that has a difference in behavior between 4.4 and earlier. The docs do not indicate a problem, but the Android forums recommended a strategy that works.
I can't test in the simulator because my app uses features that do not run in the simulator. My phone and tablet are already upgraded to 4.4.x

Version 1.2 should fix the problem ... fingers crossed.

@integlikewhoa
It tries  twice to send (4 times if you are on Wifi; twice using LAN Address and twice using Remote Access) the command.
But I noticed I did not check to see if it actually went and report an error in that case. That will be in the next version (1.3).
There should be an error in the log file, but that does not help the user.

Offline clippermiami

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2014, 07:23:25 am »
@clippermiami
I received the crash report today ... I think there is a 1 day delay in delivering them.

I use a feature that has a difference in behavior between 4.4 and earlier. The docs do not indicate a problem, but the Android forums recommended a strategy that works.
I can't test in the simulator because my app uses features that do not run in the simulator. My phone and tablet are already upgraded to 4.4.x

Version 1.2 should fix the problem ... fingers crossed.

@integlikewhoa
It tries  twice to send (4 times if you are on Wifi; twice using LAN Address and twice using Remote Access) the command.
But I noticed I did not check to see if it actually went and report an error in that case. That will be in the next version (1.3).
There should be an error in the log file, but that does not help the user.

@Richard, I will be happy to test and report back. Is the update on the Play Store already?
Two Vera Plus UI7 Linked via HTTP, 90+ Devices. PlugIns: PLEG, DSC, Blue Iris, MySensors,  AutoVera, ImperiHome, VeraAlerts, EventWatcher

Offline bucko

• Travel and Living in China
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2014, 09:03:22 am »
@Richard

I have been playing more with the app, and opened my Google Play services. In Location which I have on it says Location Reporting not available in China. Also same for Location History.

Is this the root of my problem?
Vera 3, 40+ Fibaro relays & dimmers, IPUX cams, Elk M1 Gold, M1XEP, M1SP, XVOR, M1RB, Elk124, Monoprice HDMI matrix & 6 zone amp, Denon AVR, Panasonic A8000, BI DV,On Controls

Offline clippermiami

« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2014, 09:25:28 am »
@Richard, FYI, I re-installed on my HTC One X+ and it does not crash immediately on startup now. However there are two points in the setup/configuration where it did and i have sent Crash Reports for those incidents.

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
    • RTS Services Plugins
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2014, 09:29:54 am »
I borrowed an old Samsung S2 on 4.0.4 and I am to run.  So I will wait to see your crash reports.

Offline SirMeili

« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2014, 04:47:57 pm »
I wanted to give a quick update. I'm running this on my MotoX running 4.4.x since it was released.

I set my "home" fence to .03 miles (I think it's miles). This is just around my lot and barely crosses across the street (.02 was just too small). I set a larger fence to .5 miles and told it to do rapid update for 2 minutes.

So far when leaving I can about 1 street over in any direction before it says "Exiting home" (my message for when I leave my "Home" fence). I expect this delay as the polling frequency is likely low.  However, upon arriving, WITHOUT fail, it tells me as soon as I enter the fence. I'm sure this is some sort of coincidence since rapid update should be once every 60 seconds, but it has been dead on accurate for me. Same spot, every single time (as soon as I park).

Now, I was on a business call earlier and I walked outside and was walking up and down the drive and when I got off the phone I got a bunch of "arriving home" and "exiting home" tts messages. It ultimately settled on "arriving home", so it wasn't an issue. I don't know how much time was between each one, but I do plan on using PLEG to make sure I was gone for so long before doing most of my actions.

I do not have it doing anything in vera yet except set a multiswitch button (I have a radio set of 2 that are "Frank Home" and "Frank Away"). I will start with doing more stuff via PLEG maybe next week, but so far, this app is doing exactly what I want.

Either way and no matter what, Thanks @RichardTSchaefer for this awesome app!
VeraLite (Live); ISY 994i (Live); Vera 3 (Waiting to replace VeraLite); Vera Edge (Waiting for all the bugs to be fixed); Xuan StackBox (Testing and waiting for more plugins and for it to mature)
Countless z-wave and insteon devices :D

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
    • RTS Services Plugins
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2014, 05:09:59 pm »
The voice messages and notification tones will be delayed if you are on the phone.
The Vera Commands will be sent right away.I may have to tweak the inter message setting ... this is adjustable in Vera Alerts ... I did not bring out the parameter in Vera Proximity.

There is a standard "rapid" update for all network transistions (wifi to GSM, GSM to wifi), and for Fence entry/exit for 2 minutes.
 I am changing the location sampling interval to 30 seconds for this period.

Offline SirMeili

« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2014, 05:15:51 pm »
The voice messages and notification tones will be delayed if you are on the phone.
The Vera Commands will be sent right away.I may have to tweak the inter message setting ... this is adjustable in Vera Alerts ... I did not bring out the parameter in Vera Proximity.

Yeah, I'm used to it because of Vera Alerts. I also assumed the Vera was being set. It was more just referring to the fact that it caught me going in and out of the fence so many times (I think there were 5 sets or so). So it is somewhat accurate and that was all on Wifi. It could have been I was "bouncing" around towers and that was doing it.

There is a standard "rapid" update for all network transistions (wifi to GSM, GSM to wifi), and for Fence entry/exit for 2 minutes.
 I am changing the location sampling interval to 30 seconds for this period.

If this rapid update is when transfering networks, does it do one right off the bat? If so that might be why it's triggering for me so accurately when I get home. My parking spot is right where I start to get Wifi and my phone switches over.
VeraLite (Live); ISY 994i (Live); Vera 3 (Waiting to replace VeraLite); Vera Edge (Waiting for all the bugs to be fixed); Xuan StackBox (Testing and waiting for more plugins and for it to mature)
Countless z-wave and insteon devices :D

Offline clippermiami

« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2014, 11:34:51 am »
@Richard

FYI, I found the update on Play Store and installed it on my HTC One X+. It no longer crashes in any of the functions I've tested so far; setting up fences and Vera functions, etc.

Looks like you got it for earlier Android 4 versions. I'll test it on the other two pre-4.4 Android devices I have but it looks to be working

Thanks

Offline clippermiami

« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2014, 05:26:51 pm »
I've installed the current version of the app on:

HTC One X+ - Android 4.1.1
HTC One VX - Android 4.0.4
Nexus 7 - Android 4.4.2

And configured them to update a MultiSwitch on the Vera 3 fore Home/Away status. So far they seem to be working fine. I have not done any comparative testing for acquisition times, switchover time, etc., but I'll do that over the next few days and  report back.

I did have one crash on the HTC One VX editing a GeoFence setting but I did not get a crash report for that incident.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 05:29:24 pm by clippermiami »

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2014, 06:34:56 pm »
I have problems, my multiswitch currently says I'm home and I'm at work but I haven't been home for hours. I suspect it's because of my bad cell reception and delay (wifi to cell) when leaving my house. Also that combined with my fence set to small. I'f I were to set my fence big enough that I was already in 3g cell coverage I might be ok. 

No one wants battery drain but I really would like to have something with 2 way communication to check that the switch is in the right place every so often. Or Maybe more so like 2-5 min. after a geofence change I guess after that its not as critical.

Right now I guess I could set a double Fence so if the first one doesn't send on the way out just resend the off command again, but all this is kind of disappointing. 

On the way in a double fence means flipping the switch on earlier then using the closer one as backup but that too kind of sucks. I need to test more but If I do it close enough to the house I'm hoping I'm in wifi, connected and get a positive switch. Maybe only need a double fence on the way out.   

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
    • RTS Services Plugins
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2014, 09:16:55 pm »
The following has nothing to do with my software ... but how Geofencing works on Android, and IOS I would imagine:

Geofencing tries hard to save batteries ... and it can use   GPS, GSM, and Wifi (if you enabled it).
When the phone is off, it often wakes up periodically and just checks the GSM location. This is the cheapest in turns of energy usage ...
because the phone's  radio is often still listening for GSM messages. If it's up for a while, and GPS is enabled .. it might take a gps location.
In any case it evaluates the fence descriptions and them wakes up the application that created the fences.

That's where Vera Proximity comes into play.  So a SMALL fence zone will have significant error when the GPS is not readable ... or while it's being turned on.

As a result you should not use a GeoFence in close proximity as a 100% indication of being home or being gone.

The same is true for Ping, Wifi Router Connection, etc ... they can all give false readings as devices turn on and off or are temporarily not reachable.

However they can be coupled with other events to provide a reliable indication.  For example a garage door opening or closing does not provide any indication of arriving or departing. However couple that event with a geofence event using a PLEG sequence expression and you can get a very reliable indicator. I use my garage  door 100% of the time to enter the house.

GarageEvent   GarageOpen or ! GarageOpen;
With a repeat flag!

AtHome       InnerPertimeterEntry; GarageOpen< 5:00
Gone         GarageEvent; InnerPerimterExit < 5:00

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2014, 11:24:32 pm »
Richard my main house has a 1 car wide long driveway down one side of the house and a gate that I don't open to keep the dogs in the yard. A detached garage in the back yard. Both cars park in the driveway and a lot of times during the day on the street depending on who's home first and which car goes in the driveway first.  So even a motion sensor across the driveway won't help much.