We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Vera Proximity New Android Applications  (Read 76412 times)

Offline tp546

Re: Vera Proximity New Android Applications
« Reply #165 on: November 22, 2014, 02:28:31 pm »
Okay so I think I have figured out the problem, I just don't know how to solve it. For some reason, it looks like the app is unable to reach Vera when I am outside my home network because when I try to change the switch settings, it tells me it can't find my Vera. I have my credentials set in the settings though so I'm at a loss how to further troubleshoot - any ideas?

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #166 on: November 22, 2014, 10:54:54 pm »
Okay so I think I have figured out the problem, I just don't know how to solve it. For some reason, it looks like the app is unable to reach Vera when I am outside my home network because when I try to change the switch settings, it tells me it can't find my Vera. I have my credentials set in the settings though so I'm at a loss how to further troubleshoot - any ideas?

If it was working on wifi when you enter your house fence and connect to wifi you should get it. Also local alerts dont rely on vera are you getting that now?

Offline Aaron

« Reply #167 on: November 22, 2014, 11:02:15 pm »
Yeah something is wrong - I have it set to vibrate when I cross the fence and it didn't do that either. Sounds like I have everything set up correctly though so not sure what the issue is.

I'm assuming there is a trial period, but I have not found what it is. That may or may not be your problem.

Make sure under setting you don't have "disable app" or diasable alerts" or "disable actions" on you can also hit the next settings menu and scroll down to the bottom below your registration key and click debug level. Set it to debug, then go outside your fence and back in then click mail debug report. Erase Richards email and enter your own to email yourself a debug log which you can post here if you can't figure it out. That will tell me if registration is expired or what the issues are.

Also geofence uses cell tower triangulation its not perfect. You phone will bounce your location around maybe a few houses down sometimes. Fences set to tight around your house will give you false readings that you left sometimes. .4 or .5 for a small house is about as tight as I go to prevent false alarms. And when you leave your house your phone has a period of no internet as it drops wifi and pics up cell towers that adds a delay. So you might be a few blocks away before it triggers.

Everyone wants a perfect trigger when you pull in or out of your driveway. But with different phones, different cell towers and reception, this is unlikly (which is why I use more then one way to tell if I'm home). Bottom line make sure you don't set your fence to small and make it bigger if you get false triggers that you left when your home. When you exit the fence don't just walk a few steps outside it. Drive around the block and give it some time to get cell service, login to your vera and make the switch.

You'll also discover the rapid update option. This wakes your phone up and put it on high alert of your position for the time you enter. I have a .50 mile outer perimeter around my house that activates rapid update for 2:00.  So each location can have more then one fence doing different things.

Also make sure in you phones Android menu under "location" you have mode to "HIGH Accuracy" for better results.

integlikewhoa
How well is Vera Prox & Ping Sensor working for you?  VP is not accurate for me, at all. Usually triggers 30-60 seconds after I'm parked in my garage.. even when GPS is on. Thus, I have turned it off completely - though I wish it was working.  If it is working for you, maybe you can share your secret? I have a fence about .5 miles which turns on GPS, then my home fence I've tried different things but the latest was covering about 200 yrds.

would love to collaborate on this as when it works (about 5% of the time) it is really nice!

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #168 on: November 22, 2014, 11:47:18 pm »
If your fence is not set big enough then by the time VP starts the process your close enough home that your phones trying to jump on wifi and then VP has to wait for connection to switch and send.
Geofence is never perfect anf wont always be consistent.
Up until recently I was using ddwrt with commands on my 4 routers around the house to sense and trigger a multiswitch. Recently I switched up routers to some that are not compatible with ddwrt. Since then I started using ping senors instead.
Another one im using now but havent menchioned here is Blueiris built in geofencing. So im really using 3 options and I have PLEG to trigger a master when 2 of the 3 are on or off to prevent any false alarms. I also keep the two geofences at different distances.
I have mine and wifes phone pretty constantly turing on some lights when we around 2 doors down to turning in the driveway. Usually by a half block out either one or both geofences have triggered (since atleast one is set a block over and anthor a bit closer).  If the 2nd geofence hasn't trigger by the time I pull in front of the house wifi kicks in and the ping sensor trips before I get up the driveway. I have a router and 3 others set as ap's. So i have good wifi coverage in the street. I believe in numbers the more options you have the better can get it to work.  I have more things to this also. Like if 2 sensors are tripped for more then a few min. PLEG will asume the 3rd one has had an error and will manually fix the 3rd virtual switch so when I leave or return again its back to looking for 2 sensors out of 3 again. I would occasionally get a geofence that never tripped and without exiting and entering again this took care of an automatic reset.

The blueiris geofence I have talked about in the "blueiris unofficial plugin" thread. I already tun the app and it was a feature they have so I thought why not use it also.

If you got questions fire away.

Offline tp546

« Reply #169 on: November 23, 2014, 02:26:33 am »
I have no problem with the size of the fence; when i set up text message alerts they work flawlessly - just not anything that communicates with my vera from outside my network

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #170 on: November 23, 2014, 08:35:25 am »
Turn on debug ... and  exercise the program ... then mail the log file to yourself   and/or me for review.

Offline tp546

« Reply #171 on: November 23, 2014, 12:41:15 pm »
Turn on debug ... and  exercise the program ... then mail the log file to yourself   and/or me for review.
Thanks Richard - what level should I set the debug to? Error?

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #172 on: November 23, 2014, 12:45:05 pm »
Thanks Richard - what level should I set the debug to? Error?
DEBUG

Offline tp546

« Reply #173 on: November 23, 2014, 08:49:04 pm »

Here is the log file after I turned on debug mode, left the fence, and entered the fence:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/472290/Debug.txt

Let me know what you are able to tell from that. Thanks!

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #174 on: November 23, 2014, 10:31:15 pm »

Here is the log file after I turned on debug mode, left the fence, and entered the fence:

In the settings do you have unchecked use other sensors? Try turning that off if you don't have it un checked and try again.

Only thing I don't know is right if the line that says
"Nov 23, 2014 7:38:27 PM I:VeraProximity.Execute:ProcessDeferred"

Offline tp546

« Reply #175 on: November 23, 2014, 10:33:34 pm »

In the settings do you have unchecked use other sensors? Try turning that off if you don't have it un checked and try again.

Only thing I don't know is right if the line that says
"Nov 23, 2014 7:38:27 PM I:VeraProximity.Execute:ProcessDeferred"

I don't see why that would change anything - the app has no issues sensing when I enter/exit the fence. I have it checked though.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #176 on: November 23, 2014, 10:45:15 pm »
I don't see why that would change anything - the app has no issues sensing when I enter/exit the fence. I have it checked though.

You have a point, but I don't know how to read if the sensors are stopping the message from being sent. So it was an option I threw out.

Everything but the "deferred" issue looks good to me. Looks like its flipping a multiswitch with the device #47 and button number "1" off then on.

looks to me like that happened and no errors in connections were made. You sure the multiswitch number and button and everything is correct?

Offline tp546

« Reply #177 on: November 23, 2014, 11:12:16 pm »

You have a point, but I don't know how to read if the sensors are stopping the message from being sent. So it was an option I threw out.

Everything but the "deferred" issue looks good to me. Looks like its flipping a multiswitch with the device #47 and button number "1" off then on.

looks to me like that happened and no errors in connections were made. You sure the multiswitch number and button and everything is correct?

Just to be sure, I cleared the enter/exit settings and set them up again so I'll see if it works better now.

Offline tp546

« Reply #178 on: November 24, 2014, 01:06:42 pm »
This is still not working - here is an updated log:

Please let me know how best to troubleshoot. Thanks.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #179 on: November 24, 2014, 01:12:45 pm »
This is still not working - here is an updated log:

Please let me know how best to troubleshoot. Thanks.

Did you email it to Richard? He gets busy but he will get back to you either via that email or he might read this.

I don't see anything my untrained eyes but I only know enough to get me into trouble.