We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Vera Proximity New Android Applications  (Read 74163 times)

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
Re: Vera Proximity New Android Applications
« Reply #210 on: February 08, 2016, 02:18:39 pm »
thanks, this is what I configured:
1 - fence 0.5 mile with actions on entry / exit
2 - fence 2.0 miles with rapid update for 10 minutes (1000) on entry

Let me know what you think.

Your needs maybe different. For me my fences are much smaller. I live in a heavy populated area. For me 1/2 mile would say I'm home way before I could see my house and in traffic maybe 5 min way still (stop signs and such in my area). I use .06 to .09 for my small houses here. My rapid update starts at .5 miles but a mile out might be better if your moving fast to get home (no traffic or stop signs in your area).

I like to have mine trip when I can see my house as door unlock, alarm shuts off, alerts stop when I get home. So for me (may not matter for you) 1/2 mile is to far away.

Other things you need to keep in mind when moving to a small fence (not in your current case) is that the wifi to cell tower transitions that happen as you enter or leave your house don't happen right at the same time your crossing the fence. That will cause you phone not to have internet and not be able to fire off the info to vera during this transition. This happens more so when your leaving the house as you phone has fully dropped wifi and switched to 3g/4g/LTE yet.

Offline embeeded

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #211 on: February 08, 2016, 02:34:36 pm »

Your needs maybe different. For me my fences are much smaller. I live in a heavy populated area. For me 1/2 mile would say I'm home way before I could see my house and in traffic maybe 5 min way still (stop signs and such in my area). I use .06 to .09 for my small houses here. My rapid update starts at .5 miles but a mile out might be better if your moving fast to get home (no traffic or stop signs in your area).

I like to have mine trip when I can see my house as door unlock, alarm shuts off, alerts stop when I get home. So for me (may not matter for you) 1/2 mile is to far away.

Other things you need to keep in mind when moving to a small fence (not in your current case) is that the wifi to cell tower transitions that happen as you enter or leave your house don't happen right at the same time your crossing the fence. That will cause you phone not to have internet and not be able to fire off the info to vera during this transition. This happens more so when your leaving the house as you phone has fully dropped wifi and switched to 3g/4g/LTE yet.

Thanks for the detailed answer.
I will use 1.5 mile with rapid update of 10 minutes to overcome traffic and stop signs and 0.2 fence for changing house modes.

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #212 on: February 08, 2016, 03:02:44 pm »
You do  not need to worry about the WiFi ... I handle retries and deal with the transition from WiFi to cellular data.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 06:16:55 pm by RichardTSchaefer »

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #213 on: February 08, 2016, 03:19:52 pm »

Thanks for the detailed answer.
I will use 1.5 mile with rapid update of 10 minutes to overcome traffic and stop signs and 0.2 fence for changing house modes.

You'll probley be fine with those settings but tweak it to fit your needs. 10min rapid update can't hurt anything but your battery % on the phone. It will use more of your battery during that time. A few times of timing your route from the outer fence to the inner should give you a good idea of general time it takes. If you find the longest is 10 min then use it or move the fence closer and shorten the time. 10min is probley a long time for your phone to be in rapid update.

Offline embeeded

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #214 on: February 10, 2016, 03:37:40 am »
Thanks for the tip, I would change the rapid time to 0500 as I moved the outer fence closer.
I have another problem: my wife work is less than 5 minutes from home, and the app doesn't have enough time to get her position and update
the vera on exit inner fence.

I have a condition that is true when there's no ping replay for 20 seconds AND the out of the inner geo-fence which never evaluates to True
I don't want to change the condition to OR as something we loss the wifi connectivity at home.

How do you suggest me overcome this issue?

Thanks

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #215 on: February 10, 2016, 09:24:13 am »
Set a fence at her work ... so it starts an rapid update as soon as she leaves work.
You do not need any other actions other than setting rapid update on for when she leaves work. Maybe a fence of 1/2 mile around her work.

Offline embeeded

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #216 on: February 10, 2016, 09:36:46 am »
The issue is that vera doesn't detect she's away.
I think I found a solution:

for the inner fence I will do:
1 - on entry - change multi switch on
2 - on exit - start rapid update for 3M

for the outer fence I will do:
1 - on entry - start rapid update for 3M
2 - on exit - change multi switch off

What do you say?

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Community Beta
  • Master Member

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #218 on: February 10, 2016, 10:20:49 am »

What do you say?

Just so you know you can also have your small fence turn off switch along with the outter, you can also have a rapid update start at the same time on either...... But i dont think a 3min rapid update is necessary on exit. If it detects the inner fence leaving why bother with starting a rapid update, just turn off the switch and call it done.

If when u leave its not switching,  your fenfe might be to small and your cell hasn't got 3g yet as its switchibg from wifi to cell towers. In this case your idea for using the larger fence probably works. You could also make a middle fence that maybe is not as large as the "large" fence but is bigger then the small fence. It can do nothin on entering but turn off the switch on exit. Rapid update of :30 or 1:00 on leaving the inner may make more sense in that case.

I also wouldn't hesitate to turn off the switch on exit on all 3 just to make sure its not missed.

Offline embeeded

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #219 on: February 10, 2016, 10:26:07 am »

What do you say?

Just so you know you can also have your small fence turn off switch along with the outter, you can also have a rapid update start at the same time on either...... But i dont think a 3min rapid update is necessary on exit. If it detects the inner fence leaving why bother with starting a rapid update, just turn off the switch and call it done.

If when u leave its not switching,  your fenfe might be to small and your cell hasn't got 3g yet as its switchibg from wifi to cell towers. In this case your idea for using the larger fence probably works. You could also make a middle fence that maybe is not as large as the "large" fence but is bigger then the small fence. It can do nothin on entering but turn off the switch on exit. Rapid update of :30 or 1:00 on leaving the inner may make more sense in that case.

I also wouldn't hesitate to turn off the switch on exit on all 3 just to make sure its not missed.

I agree, I will have the inner fence turn off the switch on exit, in addition to the outer fence exit.
I will stick to the 2 fences solution and see how it works.

Thanks

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #220 on: February 10, 2016, 02:44:52 pm »
By indicating NOT Home when the inner fence exits you defeat the purpose of two zones.

It's the inner zone that suffers from false readings as gps signal degrades and cell towers are used.

You detect arriving home on the inner zone ... You detect you left home on the outer zone!

Offline embeeded

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #221 on: February 10, 2016, 02:57:32 pm »
I didn't understand your last message.
I tried 3 fences and still no good. it didn't detect my wife's exit
the inner fence (0.09) sets the switch on on entry and off on exit
the second fence (0.6) sets the switch off on entry and sets rapid update on exit
and the same goes for the third fence.

Please let me what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #222 on: February 10, 2016, 05:28:48 pm »
I didn't understand your last message.
I tried 3 fences and still no good. it didn't detect my wife's exit
the inner fence (0.09) sets the switch on on entry and off on exit
the second fence (0.6) sets the switch off on entry and sets rapid update on exit
and the same goes for the third fence.

Please let me what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks

Inner fence is good
2nd fence need to be set to switch off when you exit nothing when you enter
3rd fence or larger needs rapid update when you enter for 3-5 min how how ever long it will take to get home from that fence. On exit you can turn of switch.

3 fences are probley more then are needed for this basic application but post back the results.

Also how big is your 3rd fence?

Offline embeeded

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #223 on: February 11, 2016, 02:39:17 pm »
Still not 100% working, sometimes doesn't pick up arrival and sometimes exit.
My wife and I have 3 fences with the same logic: 0.09, 0.6 and 0.9
on exit for all fences we set switch off and on entry for 0.09 fence we set it on.
on entry for the 0.9 entry rapid update is running for 0600.

Any tweaks are highly appreciated.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #224 on: February 11, 2016, 04:47:18 pm »
Still not 100% working, sometimes doesn't pick up arrival and sometimes exit.
My wife and I have 3 fences with the same logic: 0.09, 0.6 and 0.9
on exit for all fences we set switch off and on entry for 0.09 fence we set it on.
on entry for the 0.9 entry rapid update is running for 0600.

Any tweaks are highly appreciated.

That's more then enough (to many fences so far). If it can't pickup an exit after 3 fences almost a mile out I would have to look at logs to see if it's an internet or vera issue or whats going on.

What do you have your accuracy threshold set to in the settings?