We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Vera Proximity New Android Applications  (Read 79980 times)

Offline charettepa

Re: Vera Proximity New Android Applications
« Reply #240 on: June 01, 2016, 04:48:22 pm »
ok, well i did not flood his inbox, i sent 1 message
it potentially duplicated which i appologized for if it did

you are correct
the 2 licenses for me would be an issue
this is why i need to know
as once all is all complete i need this on my phone, my wifes phone, and my 2 kids
if its licensed per device thats 4 licenses

@5.95$ US ~ 8$ CAD
I am now at 32$

i can see per device or per vera but not per device per vera
as if and when i upgrade my vera ill have to pay 32$+ again
imagine someone who had the lite, then the edge, then the plus
that would be 96$ as its not transferable

now you can see how this 6$ app gets rediculously expensive
if it is truly per vera, as stated in 2014, i will buy a license
if the pricing model is fair
and then i will also get pleg and plts

it does not seem to be asking to much to have a 2 second clarification
common curtosy
so i can make an informed decision

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #241 on: June 01, 2016, 05:48:36 pm »
There is upgrade discounts already in place to help with some of this. So if you do upgrade from a vera lite to a EDGE like I have done and you own PLEG, VERA ALERTS, VERA PROXIMITY he does give discounts for each licences you have over the first one. It comes out to paying around half price if you have 3 or 4 licensees of each.

I'm sure he will get back to you just be more patient and expect to pay what the license page says.

Upgrading VERA's is another problem all in it's own. I went threw the list myself with an upgrade every year since I started in home automation and vera's. Started with Lite's moved to edges due to lack of RAM and reboots and when problems hit again I preordered the Plus only to cancel the order and move to Homeseer on two of the 3 houses now. 

Offline gwichman

« Reply #242 on: June 04, 2016, 06:14:56 pm »
any suggestions on how to troubleshoot vera proximity if it's no longer updating my virtual switch? I can tell it's triggering because i also have it do a different tone when i exit or enter my fence.. however it seems everytime i then look at vera, the switch remains off. unfortunately everything looks like it's configured correctly to me :(.

I also tried modifying the logging level to warnign in the app, and sending myself the log file when i cross the fence but there were no warning log entries (nor error which i assume it'd also show if there was some kind of error)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 06:48:39 pm by gwichman »

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #243 on: June 04, 2016, 08:45:58 pm »
any suggestions on how to troubleshoot vera proximity if it's no longer updating my virtual switch? I can tell it's triggering because i also have it do a different tone when i exit or enter my fence.. however it seems everytime i then look at vera, the switch remains off. unfortunately everything looks like it's configured correctly to me :(.

I also tried modifying the logging level to warnign in the app, and sending myself the log file when i cross the fence but there were no warning log entries (nor error which i assume it'd also show if there was some kind of error)

you need to turn on logging, restart the app and then run it like that for a few times and email yourself or Richard the log. It will say if it tried to connect to vera and if it flipped the switch. If your license is expired or if it didn't try to do anything since maybe a sensor or setting was preventing it or telling it not to.

Offline gwichman

« Reply #244 on: June 05, 2016, 11:01:25 am »
you need to turn on logging, restart the app and then run it like that for a few times and email yourself or Richard the log. It will say if it tried to connect to vera and if it flipped the switch. If your license is expired or if it didn't try to do anything since maybe a sensor or setting was preventing it or telling it not to.
thanks! i think i figured out what the problem was.. I recently replaced my phone and upon setting up very prox, probably forgot to register it on the new phone since it was working in evaluation mode. Spotted the below in the log file which i assume is the problem..

Jun 4, 2016 6:59:57 PM I:VeraProximity.Execute:Request:Exiting Fence from Home
Jun 4, 2016 6:59:57 PM I:VeraProximity.Execute:Handle:Exiting Fence from Home
Jun 4, 2016 6:59:57 PM I:VeraConnect.Notify:Notification:Evaluation Period is expired
Jun 4, 2016 6:59:57 PM I:VeraConnect.Notify:Notification:Waiting for next Fence Event!
Jun 4, 2016 7:00:06 PM I:VeraProximity.SysEvent:onReceive:android.intent.action.USER_PRESENT
Jun 4, 2016 7:00:06 PM I:VeraProximity.Execute:HasDeferredfalse

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #245 on: June 05, 2016, 01:54:40 pm »
thanks! i think i figured out what the problem was.. I recently replaced my phone and upon setting up very prox, probably forgot to register it on the new phone since it was working in evaluation mode. Spotted the below in the log file which i assume is the problem..

Jun 4, 2016 6:59:57 PM I:VeraConnect.Notify:Notification:Evaluation Period is expired
Jun 4, 2016 6:59:57 PM I:VeraConnect.Notify:Notification:Waiting for next Fence Event!
Jun 4, 2016 7:00:06 PM I:VeraProximity.SysEvent:onReceive:android.intent.action.USER_PRESENT

Yup that will do it. Enter you serial code from before in your new phone and you should be good to go.

Offline charettepa

« Reply #246 on: June 06, 2016, 12:12:25 pm »

Yup that will do it. Enter you serial code from before in your new phone and you should be good to go.

@gwichman or @integlikewhoa

when you add your code
could you please do me a favour and let me know if it works on more than one device
the developer is just not getting back to me
I would really appreciate it

Thanks in advance

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #247 on: June 06, 2016, 12:39:27 pm »

@gwichman or @integlikewhoa

when you add your code
could you please do me a favour and let me know if it works on more than one device

Thanks in advance

I already ran out of suggestions on this after talking with you on this topic before. Sorry to here Richard hasn't gotten back to you. I purchased two licences for the only two phones I use. When you purchases more then one it still rolls under one serial or key. So I have one key but two licences under it. I also no longer run this app or VERA anyways. So altho I think one licence does work, I'm unable to provide you with that info to be sure.

Offline charettepa

« Reply #248 on: June 06, 2016, 01:39:05 pm »
thanks for taking the time to reply
I do appreciate it
nice to see there are still some good people here

I understand you no longer use the vera
should you have time to test using 2 devices/1 license
I would be very appreciative

Thank you

Offline gwichman

« Reply #249 on: June 06, 2016, 03:13:43 pm »
when you add your code

Thanks in advance

I can confirm that since inputting the code, my new phone's vera prox is working again. That's not the same as saying a single code can be used at the same time across two devices. I can't test that since I don't have the old phone anymore..

btw, didn't you get your answer already? It looks pretty clear in this thread that you only need 1 licence per vera, not per phone.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 03:18:23 pm by gwichman »

Offline charettepa

« Reply #250 on: June 06, 2016, 03:43:36 pm »
when you add your code

Thanks in advance

I can confirm that since inputting the code, my new phone's vera prox is working again. That's not the same as saying a single code can be used at the same time across two devices. I can't test that since I don't have the old phone anymore..

btw, didn't you get your answer already? It looks pretty clear in this thread that you only need 1 licence per vera, not per phone.

yes, however
that answer from the developer is from 2014
and his license page says otherwise
so things could have changed

I am just trying to make an informed decision
I was hoping since the developer is not answering that a fellow forum member could verify
if you have a chance to verify on another phone, tablet, friends device, etc..
I would appreciate it

maybe I can be of help elsewhere in return?

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #251 on: June 06, 2016, 06:10:49 pm »
yes, however
that answer from the developer is from 2014
and his license page says otherwise
so things could have changed

I also think that Richard thought might be trying to charge for each device, but on the device side of this plugin he doesn't have much control and he implements most of his stuff based on the vera side or vera serial. Thus I think you may find that he would like you to pay for each device but his app only check for the licences against the vera serial and therefor works on more then one device at a time. 

His current security setup doesn't have anything in place stopping me from setting up one phone and then transferring to another phone when I get a new one. Which leads me to believe that..... How is his software going to know if your using it on your new phone or your wifes phone. I'm just guessing but this key just looks that the vera serial its contacting has a valid license and lets any device or number of devices connect to that vera if the vera serial is valid. 

Again I can't test this for you but that's my guess.

I also know that if he could lock it to one device if he wanted but it maybe more work and headaches (think of how often people change phones) then he found thought would be worth doing. So he's asking you to pay for each device and figures the most would. Like I said I just bought two was like 11.00 per vera (which only last me a year until now).

He may not want to answer possibly as he don't want to fully put out that it works with one license.

Also I completely understand he should have gotten back to you, but still surprised you haven't even thrown the 6.00 towards his development and time. I have probley given him 100.00 over several veras in the last 3 years. I'm pretty sure hes rich still broke tinkering with home automation.

Offline charettepa

« Reply #252 on: June 06, 2016, 06:29:31 pm »
Thank you for your reply. I appreciate your detailed thoughts on the subject. Please remember we are 4 people and 6US$   is over 9CAD$. So it can add up fast. I do understand what you mean when you say that it could impact his sales if he publicly admits that 1 license is enough.  That being said he could have responded to my private message. It's very poor way to treat someone that has done no wrong to him. In the end other people reading this thread see this and it could be a real deal breaker for them. Right now I need this plugin but am still holding off as I am finding it really hard to give any$ given the situation. No other developer on this forum has done this, they have all been very courtious respectfull and helpful.  I have even worked with them and shared personal enhancements.The next problem is that if I do buy 1 and it works. What's to say he won't just turn around and change it forcing me to buy more. Given the way things have been so far.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 06:33:19 pm by charettepa »

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #253 on: July 18, 2016, 09:58:56 pm »
VeraProximity has been upgraded:

1) Supports New UI7 feature where accounts can be mixed case.
    Previously MCV would lower case the name when the account was created.
2) Support URL action for when you enter/exit a fence.
    If this is a relative URL ... it can be any URL you would send to the your Vera ..
    i.e.
Code: [Select]
    /data_request?id=action&output_format=json&serviceId=urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:HomeAutomationGateway1&action=RunScene&SceneNum=24
3) Support for Android 6.0 Privilege changes.
4) Retry after 15 seconds if Remote Data request fails for 4 times.

Offline pls90

« Reply #254 on: July 20, 2016, 05:52:14 am »
Richard, could you please expand on 4)? How precisely are errors handled in the new version?
I would also like to make a feature request. It would be brilliant to have an event log. Date &  time of entering / leaving a fence, acknowledgement of data sent or errors that occurred (plain list like in vera alerts). Ideally the log would be opened when you tap the Vera Proximity Message in the Android Message Center.