We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Need help installing Trane thermostat  (Read 29031 times)

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
Re: Need help installing Trane thermostat
« Reply #105 on: May 22, 2014, 01:33:33 pm »
These captures show current conditions. I'm still digesting the info I need to understand how to tackle the heat side of the testing. I have to break off for a few hours, but will return to this after lunch. Apparently I need to work on the setting that controls the spread between heat and cool.

I think everything is working normal, but you say heating is the problem, but yet the last few pictures haven't been anything to help fix that problem.

These pictures show the unit is currently off (not cooling or blowing air).

You have Vera set to cool and so is the thermostat and you can see in the bottom left corner of the thermostat pic.

On the left side of the screen (in the thermostat pic) the thermostat shows system off, fan off and hold.

System off : shows it's current actions. It's not cooling and that's because you have it set to 82 and it's already colder in the house (currently 81).
Fan off : since it's on AUTO no reason for it to run when not cooling and heating so that's normal.
Hold : means your not running a changing scheduled you have the temp permanently held at the temp's shown on the right side of the screen.

The VERA interface in your picture doesn't show what the unit is really doing at this current time like the physical thermostat does. Vera shows you have asked for cool mode and the temps you set, but doesn't really show you in real time if the unit is current running or waiting.

If you have a heating problem, lets see some info on that so we can see what's going on. If it's shut down when it's not supposed to be lets see some pics to see what it's doing.

Offline GoingGreen

« Reply #106 on: May 22, 2014, 02:12:05 pm »
As far as I can see Vera is accurately reporting exactly what is displayed on the thermostat. So your comment has me scratching my head. (A normal situation for me.)

The only way I can tell what is happening at the heat pump is to go outside and examine the unit. If it is running the fan is turning and I assume the compressor is running. This may or may not be an accurate assumption.

Of course, in cool mode I can actually observe the drop in reported temperature.

Do I need to change the thermostat display when I take pictures? If so, in what way?

Thanks, sorry to be so daft. 

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #107 on: May 22, 2014, 03:02:31 pm »
As far as I can see Vera is accurately reporting exactly what is displayed on the thermostat. So your comment has me scratching my head. (A normal situation for me.)

Just look at your two pictures you posted. In the picture of Vera where does it Say "Hold", "System Off" and "Fan off"? The thermostat just plain displays more info period.
That information is what the unit is currently doing. In Vera it shows what you want (the set point or the commanded) the system to do but doesn't show the actual or current state.

The only way I can tell what is happening at the heat pump is to go outside and examine the unit. If it is running the fan is turning and I assume the compressor is running. This may or may not be an accurate assumption.
This is most accurate for now until we know everything is working like it should, but then you should be able to look at the thermostat see "Cool on" "Fan on" and "Hold" and know the compressor is running the fan is blowing and the system is being held.

Do I need to change the thermostat display when I take pictures? If so, in what way?

Nope, just turn on the heat as you think it should be on. Snap a quick picture, check outside heatpump for whats its doing. If it running then but quits shortly after take another picture of the thermostat and note it for us so we can see the difference when it was running and when it quit.

What I'm looking for when the heatpump kicks on is the left side of the thermostat says:

Heat on
Fan on
Hold

And when the unit kicks off this should change to:

Heat off
Fan off
Hold

If this is the case the heat pump is doing exactly what the thermostat is telling it to do and we have a settings problem or something in the thermostat.
If the heat pump stops running and the thermostat still says heat on, that means the thermostat is sending power to the heat pump but its not working, hence a wiring issue or something other then the thermostat.

Offline GoingGreen

« Reply #108 on: May 22, 2014, 07:07:13 pm »
OK, now I follow you.

After switching system for heat mode, the system started up and ran for a few minutes. Then it stopped. Apparently this is something to do with Aux heat. Here is the photo:

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #109 on: May 22, 2014, 07:08:17 pm »
OK, now I follow you.

After switching system for heat mode, the system started up and ran for a few minutes. Then it stopped. Apparently this is something to do with Aux heat. Here is the photo:

Your supposed to have AUX heat turned off in the settings. Turn that off and retest.

AUX heat is another form of heating to help give the heat pump a boost when its too cold. Un-needed in your area. Normally its what they call heat strips (electric wire like an old electric plug in heater or a toaster). It's placed inside the air handler and when its turned on the wire glow red hot and the air handler blows air over them and out the vents.

So right now with AUX heat on and probley the temp you are requesting (much hotter then the inside house) it's thinking you need maximum heat (which heat pumps are not known for)  and its shutting down the outside heat pump and kicking on AUX heat. Which since we don't have anything hooked up to it nothing but the blower is running during this time.

I just checked with AUX heat on the default setting is 3 degrees hotter then the inside room and AUX heat will kick on instead of just the heatpump. So if you would have only set the temp 1-2 degrees hotter then then room we would have never noticed this setting problem.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 07:24:13 pm by integlikewhoa »

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #110 on: May 22, 2014, 07:13:44 pm »
Maybe take a picture of the mechanical settings page also to make sure everything was changed.

This was posted back on I think page 4

So please set the following in the mechanical settings (should be page 27 of the manual)
Type: Heatpump
Fan Type: Electric
C/O type: unknown for now. (white reversing wire)
2nd stage heat: NO
Aux heat: NO
2nd stage cooling: NO

We now know the default "Cooling" for C/O type above is correct.

Offline GoingGreen

« Reply #111 on: May 22, 2014, 07:34:51 pm »
C/O type was setting at White.

I have a bit of a problem now in that my camera was whining about low power, so situated it on it's little butt in it's little charger. It needs an hour or so perhaps.

I switched the aux heat setting to N.

Apparently we do have the wiring correct and configuration and cockpit errors were the problems.

Now, thinking about what we discovered during this upgrade to the Trane thermostat I am wondering if my installation was never installed correctly to begin with and I only thought it was working because I didn't really know how to ring it out properly and the Braeburn thermostat was no big help.

I've had the unit serviced twice and recall that on at least one service call the tech replaced the startup cap in the heat pump, but they assured me this is a normal problem.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #112 on: May 22, 2014, 08:04:37 pm »
C/O type was setting at White.

The C/O type should be set to "cooling" by default and I think it's still there. Which means that white wire or the reversing valve gets 24v power when we are in cooling mode and no power in heat. If we switch the settings to C/O type to "heat" the white wire or reversing valve will have power during heating. This means the heat pump would cool during heating and heat during cooling. We don't have this problem so what ever the setting is...... It's currently right!

I have a bit of a problem now in that my camera was whining about low power, so situated it on it's little butt in it's little charger. It needs an hour or so perhaps.

If testing all goes well might not need to post any pictures as there won't be any trouble shooting to do.

I switched the aux heat setting to N.

Apparently we do have the wiring correct and configuration and cockpit errors were the problems.
Inching closer to the end.

Now, thinking about what we discovered during this upgrade to the Trane thermostat I am wondering if my installation was never installed correctly to begin with and I only thought it was working because I didn't really know how to ring it out properly and the Braeburn thermostat was no big help.
I'm sure it was or you would have noticed. The Braeburn doesn't have most of these settings as its a basic unit. The old wiring was accommodated to not having many options. Like reversing the white wires power was done before on how it was wired not by a setting in the menu.

Some things I don't know why they did them tho. Like why was the white wire in the air handler hooked up but going to no where. Same with the fan wire going to the outside heat pump. It doesn't hurt but there was no point.

I've had the unit serviced twice and recall that on at least one service call the tech replaced the start up cap in the heat pump, but they assured me this is a normal problem.
Yup they have to sale you something!

Offline GoingGreen

« Reply #113 on: May 23, 2014, 07:58:53 am »
I really cannot find adequate words to thank you and Richard and others that offered such valuable advice. I would have stumbled around forever. Teaching yourself HVAC troubleshooting is not a happy task.

Now that my camera is fully charged I will take a complete set of photos for future reference. My next challenge will be to set up my schedules and learn how to fine tune them for maximum savings. I should be able to trim a few dollars from each month's bill and eventually recoup the $140 cost of the new thermostat. What I gained in experience is hard to put a price on.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 08:52:28 am by GoingGreen »

Offline GoingGreen

« Reply #114 on: May 25, 2014, 09:16:28 am »
If you have a thermostat with an energy saving mode what settings have you found most efficient? How do you employ this mode? At the thermostat, or in Vera? It is possible to devise an energy saving mode that will control the Trane thermostat.

Looking for tips and real-world advice.