We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Wiring problem: Wiring a GE 45609 z-wave on/off with a Fan speed control  (Read 2087 times)

Offline zyphaz

So I installed a whole house/attic fan this week that came with two switches, one for high/low and a single pole for on off.  Per the instructions I wired it as shown below with a single pole on/off switch and high/low switch for speed control.  It works in the current config... but... I want to replace the single pole on/off with a Z-wave switch to tie into my home automation system.

When I replaced switches in other parts of the house, which were simple single pole switches as well, I ran the hot to the Line terminal of the switch Load back to the light and ground to the box.  Ran neutral to the neutral terminal to power the switch even if it's off.

In this dual gang box I pulled out the single pole switch and ran hot to the Line, ran the bottom left terminal of the High/Low switch to the Load of the Z-wave switch and Neutral to the Neutral terminal but the Z-wave switch is not functioning (either in Off/low power receive mode, or On to turn on the fan).

Am I missing something here?

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
Unless you have a bad switch, you are missing something. Even with the load wire disconnected and capped off, if the GE 45609 is properly wired, the switch should power on, include/exclude, and make a thump sound when switched.

Positively identify your wires. With Line and Neutral connected, the switch should operate. If it does not, then the switch must be bad.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
I'm looking only at your wiring diagram and I see no neutral going to the GE switch?

Just read the last bit again, I guess your wiring diagram is not actually current. I agree with Z-waver bad switch or your missing something. With only hot and neutral (no ground or load needed) on a normal on off switch you will get a blue light and a powered up switch.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 06:28:07 pm by integlikewhoa »

Offline zyphaz

Thanks everyone for the replies, sounds like the neutral may not be connected back at the source.  I'll pull out the meter this weekend and verify.

Offline dzmiller

Is there a way to safely handle the high/low function of this fan using zwave?

Offline prim8

You didn't just pull a neutral out of the wire nut and hook it up to the switch did you?
You need to run another wire from the switch to the wire nut.