We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: HVAC On and Off Scene question  (Read 5804 times)

Offline rsoares28

HVAC On and Off Scene question
« on: May 19, 2014, 01:51:02 pm »
Hello,  I created a scene to turn off my Nest if any windows are opened.  I cant seem to figure out away to turn the Nest back on when I close the window.

I tried creating another scene to turn the Nest on when all windows are closed but I only have the option to act on "tripped" under triggers.. not "closed"

Just some background,  i'm using the DSC plugin with an evisalink 3 for my DSC 1832 alarm system.

Thanks for any help you can provide,

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
Re: HVAC On and Off Scene question
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 02:50:20 pm »
Hello,  I created a scene to turn off my Nest if any windows are opened.  I cant seem to figure out away to turn the Nest back on when I close the window.

I tried creating another scene to turn the Nest on when all windows are closed but I only have the option to act on "tripped" under triggers.. not "closed"

Just some background,  i'm using the DSC plugin with an evisalink 3 for my DSC 1832 alarm system.

Thanks for any help you can provide,

Scenes are very basic and have alot of limited functions. When you out grow those, which is very fast you will find that most people move on to the PLEG app in VERA.

In PLEG you can do what you want to plus alot more. You probley don't want to always turn on the AC when all windows are shut though (this means any time all windows are shut it would be on, which is my house that would mean 90% of the time). If you do thats fine, but if not you can add alot more variables also. Using free apps in vera, like the weather app (or maybe you already have a physical temp sensor outside) Now you add to PLEG not only all windows are closed, but its 25 degrees hotter outside then inside and inside thermostat temp is starting to rise so kick on a/c since windows are shut.  Some also do home or away settings. Only do this if I'm also home.

Anyways PLEG will open the doors for so many more options. Check out the Program Logic section of the forum if you get a chance.
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/board,48.0.html

Offline waynehead99

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 03:44:40 pm »
I setup what your doing with pleg myself and just recently added the weather underground plugin into the mix to give me more control.

One thing to add though if your doing ac is to put a delay on everything. I have a 5 minute delay on shutoff and start up so that walking thru a door doesn't shut it off and also to have a delay on startup to protect ac unit from cycling too much.

Pleg really is the only way to go for something like this. Look at the beginner doc as it has an example in there for this that you can build off of.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 06:09:56 pm »
One thing to add though if your doing ac is to put a delay on everything. I have a 5 minute delay on shutoff and start up so that walking thru a door doesn't shut it off and also to have a delay on startup to protect ac unit from cycling too much.

You shouldn't need a Delay on anything as there is already a delay built in your thermostat. My Trane Thermostat defaults and wont let you go any lower then 3 min on and 5 min off (or vise versa I can't rem.) TYou can how ever adjust it longer and this delay is in the thermostat so no matter if you manually turn the a/c from the thermostat or turn it on from and app or have PLEG turn it on there is a built in delay. Adding a Delay to PLEG will only overlap (do nothing) the factory built in delay. 
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 06:14:21 pm by integlikewhoa »

Offline waynehead99

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 06:16:55 pm »
I still feel better with the delay and it also keeps the AC or heater from turning off when I am just opening a door to walk thru it. No need for it to turn off at all on those cases.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 06:25:14 pm »
I still feel better with the delay and it also keeps the AC or heater from turning off when I am just opening a door to walk thru it. No need for it to turn off at all on those cases.

What ever floats your boat.

As far as opening a door and a/c or heat going off I think is a bit much. That's all how you have your PLEG setup.

If you really wanted to do something like that then only shut the a/c or heat down if any door or window remained open for more then "X" amount of minutes. This would cut your on and off if you were only walking threw.

Even then I would like a warning (alert maybe) rather then an A/C shut down, I wouldn't want to find out a while after the a/c is off cuz someone opened the bath room window and never shut it.

If its a nice day outside and I start opening windows then have PLEG shut off a/c only if 2,3 or more windows are opened that would signal its not an accident I opened 3 windows.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 06:26:59 pm by integlikewhoa »

Offline waynehead99

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 11:47:39 pm »
What you say makes sense. I have the doors on there too just because we like to have them open when it's nice to let more air in with the screens closed. It's just me and my wife so leaving a window open and forgetting just doesn't happen. And if it did and the AC didn't go on because of it... Well lesson learned :)

Offline rsoares28

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 06:00:53 pm »
Wow thanks for all the great replies. I'll certainly look Ito pleg.

So to confirm there's no way (without pleg)for the nest turn back on when I close the door or window I originally opened?

Offline waynehead99

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 07:44:17 pm »
Really no. Vera scenes use or statements on their triggers and you will need and statements.

I guess you could use luup code to do what you want if you know the language.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 08:20:35 pm »
Your limited with scenes.

After that you find your self cutting things short just to make it work in a scene..... Then you test out PLEG (learning curve) once you get a few things going you never want to use scenes because PLEG can do it all plus so much more.

Don't sell your self short the possibilities are endless. Get PLEG going play with it a bit to find out the basics, setting an input, where to put a condition and setting an output. After you get inputs setup post in the PLEG section and someone can help you write a quick condition (as long as we know what you want and what your input names are) then you can start playing with that. 

Offline rsoares28

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 05:52:41 pm »
Playing with pleg now.. Pretty confusing but the pay off look worth the effort.  Thanks for the advice everyone

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 06:55:44 pm »
Playing with pleg now.. Pretty confusing but the pay off look worth the effort.  Thanks for the advice everyone

The hardest part is the so many different conditions you can create.

Just get your inputs listed, and post what you want to do and someone can give you a quick condition that will get you started. Then you add a action (what will happen when condition is true). Really 3 steps.

Inputs
Conditions
actions

Offline AgileHumor

• KISS
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014, 09:37:37 pm »

For the Nest, I just use the Home/Away to turn it off.  This has the benefit of cooling or heating if your emergency limits are reached (like 50 degrees to keep the pipes from freezing).

Here is how I do it in PLEG:

Trigger:
* DoorsOrWindowOpen = Switch turns on (combination switch plugin for door/window sensors)
* ThermostatOff = Thermostat is turned off

Conditions
* Thermostat_On = !ThermostatOff and (DoorsOrWindowOpen and (DoorsOrWindowOpen;Now > 10:00))
* Thermostat_Off = ThermostatOff and (!DoorsOrWindowOpen and (!DoorsOrWindowOpen;Now > 1:00))

The actions flip home and away.

I've attached my Occupancy PLEG Config Report for more details.

WMC Leviton:18xVPE06,8xVRS15,3xVRP03-W,2xVRR15,4xVRCS4,2xVRCS2,VP00R,8xVRS15 Aeon:5xDSC06106,4xDSC24,4xDSC25,12xDSB29,2xDSC11,4xDSB54,DSB05,3xDSA22,DSA38,2xDSA03202B,DSB09104,HEM Other:3xYale,12xHSM100v3,7xSP103,45604,WDHA-12,SSA2USR,EVLCD1T,6xWWA02A,7xIPC-HFW2100,URTSI,Hue,Russound,OpenSprinker

Offline waynehead99

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 09:59:21 pm »
Wow I am gonna have to take a look at that report and steal some things maybe. You have a lot going on there.

Advise for a pleg beginner, start small and simple. Even that report is above my level and I am still learning.

Offline rsoares28

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2014, 08:29:43 am »
Thats Awesome AgileHumor!! Thanks for the guidance

I actually got it working yesterday but i like your idea of using home/away as opposed to On/off.

Looks like an amazing tool, i will be sure to donate money to the developer