We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: HVAC On and Off Scene question  (Read 5875 times)

Offline rsoares28

Re: HVAC On and Off Scene question
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2014, 11:10:44 pm »
I'm noticing my nest auto sense (turning to away mode when we leave the house) is not working.  Could this scene have anything to do with that?

What i'm thinking is since the windows are closed when we leave the house  the nest is forced to stay in "Home" mode as opposed to auto switching to "Away"

I'm gonna try changing my settings in pleg to reflect Nest off = Off and Nest On = Cool(seeing its summer) as opposed to what it is now; Nest Off = Away and Nest On = Home.

Edit: Wait.. would the above change mean the nest still wont be able to auto away when the windows are closed as windows closed = Cool setting?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 11:16:59 pm by rsoares28 »

Offline rsoares28

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2014, 05:26:32 pm »
So its pretty obvious now that the scene I created is overriding the nest auto away.  I figured I will now create a scene to put the nest in away mode once the alarm system is armed "away".  That works, but now I have to create another scene to set the nest to "home" mode once the alarm is disarmed.

Does this sound right?  Kind sounds like when the Dr gives you a pill for an issue, and the pill has side effects that causes other issues that in turn requires more pills lol

Is there a way to turn off the nest when a window is opened (for longer than 5mins) and once the window is closed the nest goes back to normal operation?

Thanks

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2014, 09:34:16 pm »
So its pretty obvious now that the scene I created is overriding the nest auto away.  I figured I will now create a scene to put the nest in away mode once the alarm system is armed "away".  That works, but now I have to create another scene to set the nest to "home" mode once the alarm is disarmed.

Does this sound right?  Kind sounds like when the Dr gives you a pill for an issue, and the pill has side effects that causes other issues that in turn requires more pills lol

Is there a way to turn off the nest when a window is opened (for longer than 5mins) and once the window is closed the nest goes back to normal operation?

Thanks

Problem is nest is a smart thermostat and wants to do its own thing. But vera is smarter and capable of alot more. Now your trying to over ride nest and use it as a basic on off switch for your ac . All this is fine but then 250 for what a 90.00 zwave thermostat can do already?

Offline rsoares28

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2014, 11:19:50 pm »
Thanks for the reply.. Makes sense.  So to confirm there is no way to setup the scene where closing the window can return the nest to its normal operation... Meaning not forced to say on the "cool" setting (even though no one is home)  because the windows are closed

Offline watou

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2014, 12:08:06 am »
I'm not sure that it matters in this case that the Nest is a "smart" thermostat.  It seems relatively straightforward to write one or two scenes, one that sets Nest to away when the alarm is armed, another (optional one) to set the Nest to home when the alarm is disarmed (or, instead of writing this scene, just walk in the door past your Nest set to auto-away mode, and it will switch itself to home mode).  You wouldn't use the state of the Nest's home/away switch to indicate or trigger anything itself in this scenario, but instead you just set it on or off depending on the alarm system's armed state.  Nest's auto-away, if you have that turned on, will switch to "away" mode after a period of non-activity, but since you aren't relying on Nest's home/away state to trigger scenes, I don't see how that would matter.

As for turning off AC, switching to away, etc., if a window is left open for five minutes, there is the PLEG plugin that people have used to implement this kind of thing successfully.  Search the forums to find those threads.

All the best,
watou

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2014, 10:44:27 am »
Thanks for the reply.. Makes sense.  So to confirm there is no way to setup the scene where closing the window can return the nest to its normal operation... Meaning not forced to say on the "cool" setting (even though no one is home)  because the windows are closed

PLEG can do this and much more. That's what I use. Scenes run out of options fast. PLEG seems hard at first but you get the hang of it quickly. After you use PLEG you'll never use scenes (or don't need to) as everything becomes easier in PLEG.

It's very simaler as a scene as you set your input, trigger and the output, action but it has a center section called a condition that you can say if this, this and this happen in these input, triggers then do this action.

On top of that you have unlimited options in the conditions. example:

This, this and this in this specific order
(this and this) or this
this before this

So yes when windows closed you can have nest set to a certin state, but you might want to add more to it. Or any time all windows are closed weather a/c is on or off you a/c is going to go to that state. PLEG you can add all windows closed and a/c is on.

You can set it reverse turn a/c off if any windows is opened...... Maybe that's to specific, so turn a/c off if any window is opened more then 5 min. or if more then 2 of any windows are left open. Or if any window is open or any exterior door is left open for more then 2 min. These are all possible in PLEG.

You would set all your inputs doors and windows. You would make a condition called something like "ACHold" or "ACPause" or what ever then make the condition like I stated above.

"ACPause" = Any window opened OR any door open > 2:00min
then ouput or action when that happens would be set to turn your ac off or to away.
You would then have to create an On condition to turn if back on when those reset. But you don't want this to run any time you close all windows and doors or it would always be on when you left. So you need to use something like this.

"ACBackON" = all windows and door closed after "ACPause" has been actived

You might even throw in a virtual switch in the middle to make it easier.