Author Topic: Why should we pay for iViri  (Read 1747 times)

Offline Nilsblix

• Sr. Newbie
Why should we pay for iViri
« on: May 29, 2014, 04:05:54 pm »
I am a fan of iViri

This is not the best ios app for managing your home automation
This app has not by far the best UI
This app is not very userfriendly
This app is not very customizely

But this app tries to adopt the most interestingly topics of home autoation today - namely speach triggering and iBeacon and geofencing.

This is impressing work ! ( though it does not always works as hoped )

Offline jpete7683

Re: Why should we pay for iViri
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 10:31:08 pm »
I am a fan of iViri

This is not the best ios app for managing your home automation
This app has not by far the best UI
This app is not very userfriendly
This app is not very customizely

But this app tries to adopt the most interestingly topics of home autoation today - namely speach triggering and iBeacon and geofencing.

This is impressing work ! ( though it does not always works as hoped )

I am not sure what to think of this post.  You say you are a fan but posted all negative things about it except for the goal of what it is trying to accomplish so I am not sure how to respond.  I am an independent developer that does not do this for my day job.  The price point is pretty cheap in my eyes compared to the rest of the apps out there for Vera/iOS integration.  I was looking to make my own home truly automated, that doesn't mean to provide an interface that gives me a remote to control my home, I am not that lazy as I could just go use a light switch, but rather make the home aware of my presence and the presence of my wife.  Once I accomplished this I decided why not share it with this forum of iOS users that have graciously helped me out in my endeavor to get my home truly automated.  The funds that have been made from this app are nothing to sustain life and I would probably be on the streets if I quit my day job, but it does help drive me to make a better product and not settle with the norm and push the limits of what these devices can do.  The technology is there, the idea is there, but apple needs to solidify their API's and core infrastructure before people will buy into them as you have probably noticed that the iBeacons are hit and miss, that has nothing to do with the app but rather how often apple detects if you are in range.  All of these things have great potential and hopefully iViri is far enough along to take advantage of them when apple makes them even better.  As for the negatives you posted, the app was at first my attempt at making everything controllable, but I realized HomeWave does this and there is way more revenue and more experience from that development team with this stuff than I have, so I decided I will give a simple interface, nothing fancy for people to work with if they so chose to make iViri their only app but my main focus will be on the true automation aspects of the app and try to grow that area.  We all want to achieve true automation and I took 3 things that no other app was doing at the time and decided to make use of them.  Heck the iPhone is more powerful than the dang VeraLite system so why make the vera do all of the heavy lifting, why not put this 600$ device to some use.  Sorry for my rant, not sure how I was supposed to read into this post as a good thing or a bad thing, based on the title of the post it seemed to ask the question as to why would any one want to pay for this app and then listed all negative feedback for what you felt was wrong with it.
I am the developer of iViri.  iViri is available in Apple Store.  Check out its Voice Control and Geofence integration, which causes less battery drain than the other options for locating an iphone.

Offline Nilsblix

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 05:50:11 pm »
Well if you are unsure how to read my post - why not read it as it is - namely a tribute to your work.
( as for the subject - I did not start that thread, but I would give people a reason to buy the app)

Offline jpete7683

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 09:36:34 pm »
Well if you are unsure how to read my post - why not read it as it is - namely a tribute to your work.
( as for the subject - I did not start that thread, but I would give people a reason to buy the app)

Thanks!
I am the developer of iViri.  iViri is available in Apple Store.  Check out its Voice Control and Geofence integration, which causes less battery drain than the other options for locating an iphone.