We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Existing doorbell with fibaro door/window sensor  (Read 1716 times)

Offline Yannick

Existing doorbell with fibaro door/window sensor
« on: May 30, 2014, 01:39:37 pm »
I've read through many doorbell topics but they were all quite complicated and required soldering relais and adding 12V adapters to make it work.
I'm not an electrician but my setup was really easy just adding the binary sensor to the 2 wires connected to the bell. See the schema in the attached picture.
Curious why this works while others are having to use relays.

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
Re: Existing doorbell with fibaro door/window sensor
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 09:24:51 am »
It works for you because you have a sensor that will read the voltage from the button closure. In the U.S. this voltage would be 24VAC. Other people are using sensors that cannot tolerate that voltage or AC current. Their sensors provide it's own current and can only be used with a "dry contact" closure. So, the use the 24VAC to close a relay that trips the sensor.

Offline tyfoon

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 03:46:24 am »
@yannick: did this work? How did you power the binary sensor or did you use the window sensor?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 5 met Tapatalk

Offline Yannick

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 04:50:36 am »
No didn't get it to work. Seems that because there is a constant power (3V) on the doorbell line that the binary sensor is giving false positives a couple of times per hour, very annoying. Also it seems that I cannot control the open and closed state of the Output (bell connection) to ring the bell through a z-wave command, so my initial thought of using the bell as an alarm doesn't work either.

If nobody has a brilliant solution for this I'll just go back to using the doorsensor which didn't give me the false positives.

Offline tyfoon

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 05:43:49 am »
It seems that below solution works (also with use of fibaro door sensor using the binary input).

http://thedigitallifestyle.com/w/index.php/2013/08/20/how-to-z-wave-your-existing-wired-doorbell-with-vera/

PS in your case just adding a relay might solve the issue

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 5 met Tapatalk