We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Remote temp sensor control thermostat?? Help  (Read 6778 times)

Offline wantonsoup

• Sr. Newbie
Remote temp sensor control thermostat?? Help
« on: May 30, 2014, 09:39:56 pm »
I've got the Trane thermostats in my home and they work fine with Z-Wave, except that they're nowhere near where I want to monitor the temperature.  I.e., one is out in the hall and we want to monitor the temp in my daughter's room on the other side of the house which is always 5 degrees different, unpredictably, hotter or colder than the thermostat.  The other one is a similar situation.

So I'm wondering - is there a Z-Wave thermostat that has the option or feature of a remote temp sensor I can place where I want to control the temp?  Or, can I add a Z-Wave temp sensor (Fortrezz or Everspring) and somehow use MCV to control the thermostat to be within a range of temps?

I need help please.  Lately I'm having to manually set the temp constantly on both thermostats to get the temp right.  Defeats having an expensive programmable unit.

Offline wantonsoup

• Sr. Newbie
Re: Remote temp sensor control thermostat?? Help
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 12:36:49 pm »
Anyone have any ideas?

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 01:08:45 pm »
Anyone have any ideas?

The Trane "tzemt500's" not the 400's have the option for 2 external remote sensors. But you can't view all sensors and use all at same time. The thermostat can only use 1 temp to work off of. So you have the following options.

1) Use the internal only (default)
2) Use either one of the 2 remote sensors
3) Or take the 2 or 3 sensors and adv. the temp then use that.

If you don't have this trane and don't like those options, then you can use z-wave sensors (like you suggested) and use PLEG to setup your own on/off schedule based on each room. So Vera would kick on the thermostat based on the highest or lowest temp in the house or there is even a Vera App that will take several temp sensors and average them. Then you can use PLEG to work off that (more easy but more generic).

Also the real solution to this problem is A/C Zoning, but I'm assuming you don't want to go there. 

Offline Vodden

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 03:44:10 pm »
Evolve T-100 also has connections for 2 remote sensors.

Vera 3 v1.5.622, Sharp Aquos, DSC 1864, EVL-3, (2) iPhone 6, Kwikset 912, Kwikset 910, (2) Linear WT00Z-1, (2) Linear WS15Z-1, (2) Linear WD500Z-1, (2) Evolve LTM-5, (8.) Aeotec micro-dimmer,  (3) Aeotec micro-switch, (1) Cooper Aspire RF9500

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 03:52:56 pm »
Evolve T-100 also has connections for 2 remote sensors.

That is true, but he has a Trane.

Actually the Trane, Evolve and RCS are all made by RCS. Same thing different cover.

OP: If running wires for remote sensors going to be a problem you can skip all the thermostat ideas.

Offline wantonsoup

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 04:00:17 pm »
OP: If running wires for remote sensors going to be a problem you can skip all the thermostat ideas.

I'd be willing to replace the thermostat to solve this issue.  Running wires super inconvenient but not impossible, at least to one of the rooms (attic).  But obviously wireless would be so much easier.

you can use z-wave sensors (like you suggested) and use PLEG to setup your own on/off schedule based on each room. So Vera would kick on the thermostat based on the highest or lowest temp in the house or there is even a Vera App that will take several temp sensors and average them. Then you can use PLEG to work off that (more easy but more generic).

That's reasonable to me I think - can you suggest a good temp sensor to use for this setup? 

And BTW I really appreciate your help. I'm still new to Z-Wave but having used X10 for a decade I understand the general concepts.  Somewhat.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 04:10:13 pm »

I'd be willing to replace the thermostat to solve this issue.  Running wires super inconvenient but not impossible, at least to one of the rooms (attic).  But obviously wireless would be so much easier.

you can use z-wave sensors (like you suggested) and use PLEG to setup your own on/off schedule based on each room. So Vera would kick on the thermostat based on the highest or lowest temp in the house or there is even a Vera App that will take several temp sensors and average them. Then you can use PLEG to work off that (more easy but more generic).

That's reasonable to me I think - can you suggest a good temp sensor to use for this setup? 

And BTW I really appreciate your help. I'm still new to Z-Wave but having used X10 for a decade I understand the general concepts.  Somewhat.

Is the thermostat's remote sensor going to work to your liking? Can't show 3 individual temps. If you running to both rooms all you can do is adv. between the 3. If not you only need to run one remote.

Have you used PLEG? It's great but has a learning curve.

EDIT: As far as which sensor. I personally don't own any temp sensors so can't tell you to much. If it was me tho I think your going to end up with something like a 4-1 sensor. As temp alone is almost the same price. You can get temp, humidity, motion and light in one sensor for same or 10.00 more.

I have 4 thermostats setup with zoning on one house and the other house has two separate a/c systems (one on each side of the house) with two thermostats. I use PLEG for arriving and departing or HOME/AWAY functions.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 04:15:55 pm by integlikewhoa »

Offline wantonsoup

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 04:15:35 pm »
I have not used PLEG but I'm not averse to learning.   I totally understand what you're saying - I am comfortable either using only one remote sensor in one bedroom, or two in two bedrooms and averaging them.  And ignoring the built-in temp sensor in the thermostat which is irrelevant as it's in an unused hallway.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 04:24:03 pm »
I have not used PLEG but I'm not averse to learning.   I totally understand what you're saying - I am comfortable either using only one remote sensor in one bedroom, or two in two bedrooms and averaging them.  And ignoring the built-in temp sensor in the thermostat which is irrelevant as it's in an unused hallway.

I think your going to either adv. all three (internal one included) or use one room. That's your choices.

If that's ok then I would start there and change out the thermostat unless you don't want to run wires. It's going to cost about the same either direction I think. about 100.00, Shop around for one of the 3 thermostats we menchioned.

I bought mine from Ebay. I have bought 7 of them from this guy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trane-Z-Wave-thermostat-Schlage-Link-Nexia-TZEMT500BB32MA-New-89-00-/281343781443?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4181656a43

The Evolve or RCS mentioned before will also work.

The sensor just needs to be any 10k sensor. You can search ebay. They are less then 5 bucks. I bought 5 for 8.00.

Search for:
Thermistor 10K ohm
10k Temp

Offline jeppi

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2014, 11:10:58 pm »
Search for tcont624 on eBay... Trane thermostat with remote sensor compatible with vera...

Offline curiousB

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 04:28:40 pm »
Some of the Honeywell WiFI and ZWave thermostats can accept a remote temp sensor. This way you can leave the thermostat where it us and wire in this remote device where you want the temp control. The remote sensor is PN C7189U1005.

I bought one for myself but found out later my retail version (RTH8580WF) thermostat didn't work with this option.  >:( :( The trade version did (TH8320WF 1029). Just be sure you check compatibility before buying.

Honeywell C7189U1005 Remote Indoor Sensor
VeraLite (1), Leviton VRI10-1LX (8 ), VP00R-1LZ (5), VRS15-1LX (1), Intermatic CA3500 (10), CA5100 (1), Aeon Labs DSC26103 (5), Foscam FI8918W (2) , FI9821W V2 (1), DLINK DCS-932L (2), DCS-930L (1), GE45604 (2), GE45603 (5), Honeywell RTH8580WF (2), HA-09WD (1), Kwikset 910TRL ZW (1), Aeon MMote (2)