We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Home Kit Integration  (Read 3851 times)

Offline steets250

Home Kit Integration
« on: June 06, 2014, 09:54:05 pm »
After seeing the iOS8 keynote and Apple revealing Home Kit, does anyone know if Vera will be compatible with it? I know that home kit works with certain companies that already have z-wave products, and it would be a shame if Vera was not included.

Offline PixelRogue

Re: Home Kit Integration
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 01:02:05 pm »
Still no statements from MiCasa on Apple's Home Kit? Anyone know of mentions, indications or even acknowledgements from MiCasa and Home Kit?

Offline SirMeili

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 02:02:55 pm »
Still no statements from MiCasa on Apple's Home Kit? Anyone know of mentions, indications or even acknowledgements from MiCasa and Home Kit?

This is a "user" forum, and due to that MCV employees rarely come here (though MCV does pay for the site). You'd be better off asking on their Facebook page. That being said, there are some threads on HomeKit already on the forum and I personally could care less if it ever gets introduced into the Vera. It's a proprietary standard that will do nothing for the HA community at large, IMHO. I also do not seeing it being something I would expect soon from MCV even if they do say they will implement it. They are a bit slow in adding stuff sometimes (in my experience)
VeraLite (Live); ISY 994i (Live); Vera 3 (Waiting to replace VeraLite); Vera Edge (Waiting for all the bugs to be fixed); Xuan StackBox (Testing and waiting for more plugins and for it to mature)
Countless z-wave and insteon devices :D

Offline steets250

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 11:47:12 am »
It would be nice to control Z-Wave devices and run scenes via Siri, though. It would also allow for new automation devices to work with Vera without needing a plugin, since they are bridged via Apple.

Offline SirMeili

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 11:57:12 am »
It would be nice to control Z-Wave devices and run scenes via Siri, though. It would also allow for new automation devices to work with Vera without needing a plugin, since they are bridged via Apple.

Yes, but they are then totally dependent on your phone/ipad and if you remove one of those, you lose control. I also feel as though going that route you remove the ability to do some relaly in depth "automation" on the Vera since you won't have access to the devices on the Vera.

I could be mistaken though and maybe HomeKit actually allows 2 way communication like "Hey Vera! I have this Nest thermostat over here you can have access to, here are all the details. You just have to talk to me in order to talk to it". That would solve the latter part of my concern, but as soon as your phone runs out of charge, you lose that connection (or you break your phone, or you leave and now communication is slowed, etc).
VeraLite (Live); ISY 994i (Live); Vera 3 (Waiting to replace VeraLite); Vera Edge (Waiting for all the bugs to be fixed); Xuan StackBox (Testing and waiting for more plugins and for it to mature)
Countless z-wave and insteon devices :D