Author Topic: Trouble setting up geofence  (Read 6836 times)

Offline tb001

Trouble setting up geofence
« on: June 13, 2014, 11:24:12 am »
Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Trying set up geofence linked to a virtual switch, so that when we're home the switch is on and when we leave the switch is turned off. I've set up my DH's iPhone with iviri and the switch seems to be working fine. Not sure what I'm doing wrong with mine. I went to geofences, clicked the + sign and added a geofence with current location, assigned to a virtual switch. The lat/long look correct, and I'm home, but my virtual switch is turned off, as is the slider switch in iViri. Is there something in the settings I may have not done correctly? Have both "notify on enter/exit" and "geofence notifications" turned on. Note that I'm pretty sure when I set it up initially it was working. Have tried deleting the virtual switch and setting up a new one, but no luck.

Running latest version of iViri and iOS 7. Have a feeling I have something very simple set wrong, but can't figure out what it is! Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
Re: Trouble setting up geofence
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 01:43:29 pm »
Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Trying set up geofence linked to a virtual switch, so that when we're home the switch is on and when we leave the switch is turned off. I've set up my DH's iPhone with iviri and the switch seems to be working fine. Not sure what I'm doing wrong with mine. I went to geofences, clicked the + sign and added a geofence with current location, assigned to a virtual switch. The lat/long look correct, and I'm home, but my virtual switch is turned off, as is the slider switch in iViri. Is there something in the settings I may have not done correctly? Have both "notify on enter/exit" and "geofence notifications" turned on. Note that I'm pretty sure when I set it up initially it was working. Have tried deleting the virtual switch and setting up a new one, but no luck.

Running latest version of iViri and iOS 7. Have a feeling I have something very simple set wrong, but can't figure out what it is! Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

What size area do you have setup?

Offline tb001

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 01:54:55 pm »

For the geofence? 100m.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 02:22:43 pm »

For the geofence? 100m.

Well you can try to make that much bigger for testing purposes.

You using a multiswitch or a single virtual switch? Make sure that's set correct.

In your phone settings you are allowing your location to be shared with the Iviri app correct?

Offline tb001

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 06:36:10 pm »
I've increased the area to 300m, but no dice. Was able to double check my DH's and thought I know it was working initially, it doesn't seem to be working any more. I have each of them set up as a single virtual switch--definitely selected single vs multi.

On the phone, this is under Setting>Privacy>Location svcs, correct? I have this turned on and ividi has a little arrow next to it, so I think that's correct. I'm going a bit nuts with this--almost ready to just delete everything and start over!

Offline jpete7683

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 02:45:01 pm »
I've increased the area to 300m, but no dice. Was able to double check my DH's and thought I know it was working initially, it doesn't seem to be working any more. I have each of them set up as a single virtual switch--definitely selected single vs multi.

On the phone, this is under Setting>Privacy>Location svcs, correct? I have this turned on and ividi has a little arrow next to it, so I think that's correct. I'm going a bit nuts with this--almost ready to just delete everything and start over!

Is the arrow over iViri on those settings purple?  Also make sure your geofence cell button is switched to on.
I am the developer of iViri.  iViri is available in Apple Store.  Check out its Voice Control and Geofence integration, which causes less battery drain than the other options for locating an iphone.

Offline waltzer11

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 07:29:50 pm »
just bought another iviri app for my wife's iphone and assigned her to MS Switch2. both our iphones geofence were working fine for 3 days.she leaves MS Switch2 turns on and vice versa when she comes home; same with my iphone MS Switch1, and my iphone will show "switch ok". today we both left and drove more than 40 miles and MS Switch status didnt turned off. when i got closer to home, my iphone showed (even if it is locked), "iviri:586". this is the first time i saw this number 586 message.  i was really happy it was working fine. today was a different story-any thoughts or suggestions.

Offline jpete7683

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 11:10:40 am »
just bought another iviri app for my wife's iphone and assigned her to MS Switch2. both our iphones geofence were working fine for 3 days.she leaves MS Switch2 turns on and vice versa when she comes home; same with my iphone MS Switch1, and my iphone will show "switch ok". today we both left and drove more than 40 miles and MS Switch status didnt turned off. when i got closer to home, my iphone showed (even if it is locked), "iviri:586". this is the first time i saw this number 586 message.  i was really happy it was working fine. today was a different story-any thoughts or suggestions.

That message that you are receiving is the job status number that is returned from the Vera controller.  To debug these situations you can go to iViri settings under the iPhone settings and scroll down to the Location Serivces and make sure this is turned on.  Also you need to make sure that you are using iOS 7.1 or above as this doesn't require the app to be running in the background at all time.  Secondly, you will want to make sure that you keep wifi turned on even if it isn't connected to a router as when it is turned off it makes Geofencing highly inaccurate.  Finally, there could have been an issue with your home network or even MVC forwarding servers where it could not complete the network connection to your router and iViri would have attempted for 3 minutes before the iOS would kill it off so that could be a possible issue.  If you want to make sure the iViri geofence is firing there is a notification you can turn on that would tell you every time a crossing happens and you have to manually execute it (Notify On Enter/Exit Of Region).  If you enable that, relaunch iViri after killing it off and then test it for awhile.  There are a lot of points of failures with it having a network and having to use fowarding servers to contact the Vera unit, and from my experience I have had issues with forwarding servers where they temporarily don't respond, etc..
I am the developer of iViri.  iViri is available in Apple Store.  Check out its Voice Control and Geofence integration, which causes less battery drain than the other options for locating an iphone.

Offline waltzer11

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 06:15:30 pm »

That message that you are receiving is the job status number that is returned from the Vera controller.  To debug these situations you can go to iViri settings under the iPhone settings and scroll down to the Location Serivces and make sure this is turned on.  Also you need to make sure that you are using iOS 7.1 or above as this doesn't require the app to be running in the background at all time.  Secondly, you will want to make sure that you keep wifi turned on even if it isn't connected to a router as when it is turned off it makes Geofencing highly inaccurate.  Finally, there could have been an issue with your home network or even MVC forwarding servers where it could not complete the network connection to your router and iViri would have attempted for 3 minutes before the iOS would kill it off so that could be a possible issue.  If you want to make sure the iViri geofence is firing there is a notification you can turn on that would tell you every time a crossing happens and you have to manually execute it (Notify On Enter/Exit Of Region).  If you enable that, relaunch iViri after killing it off and then test it for awhile.  There are a lot of points of failures with it having a network and having to use fowarding servers to contact the Vera unit, and from my experience I have had issues with forwarding servers where they temporarily don't respond, etc..

i have IOS 7.1.1 iPhone 4S. location services geofence is on. just turned on 'Notify On Enter/Exit Of Region" and will test it. i have a strong feeling that my vera or even my network is sometimes having problems.  this morning, iviri says "failed to connect to network, check your setting" or something. maybe vera is rebooting/setup when i enter the geofence region (vera does this several times a day); i get a prowl notification "vera alerts, reboot/setup". if like you said, it maybe the forwarding servers, i am stuck because i am not too good in fooling around with my router. i did that many years ago while one of MCV support was walking me through over the phone. anyway thanks for your prompt response

Offline jpete7683

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 10:26:54 pm »

i have IOS 7.1.1 iPhone 4S. location services geofence is on. just turned on 'Notify On Enter/Exit Of Region" and will test it. i have a strong feeling that my vera or even my network is sometimes having problems.  this morning, iviri says "failed to connect to network, check your setting" or something. maybe vera is rebooting/setup when i enter the geofence region (vera does this several times a day); i get a prowl notification "vera alerts, reboot/setup". if like you said, it maybe the forwarding servers, i am stuck because i am not too good in fooling around with my router. i did that many years ago while one of MCV support was walking me through over the phone. anyway thanks for your prompt response

If you are having trouble with the Vera restarting multiple times a day you can attempt to add the swap file to USB stick and turn the logs over to a USB memory stick.  This did help me but ultimately I ended up getting rid of my Vera and swapping it for the openhab project to run on my raspberry pi, with zero reboots!

Offline waltzer11

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2014, 12:56:08 pm »

If you are having trouble with the Vera restarting multiple times a day you can attempt to add the swap file to USB stick and turn the logs over to a USB memory stick.  This did help me but ultimately I ended up getting rid of my Vera and swapping it for the openhab project to run on my raspberry pi, with zero reboots!

my vera2 does not use USB stick. i googled openHAB raspberry pi and read some install procedures. it's a little bit complicated for me but i will try the demo version when i get the chance. today, wife left and MS Switch 2 turned off nicely. thanks. i am now convinced that it's my vera or my router (or both) that's creating the problem and not your iviri app.

Offline jpete7683

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2014, 01:08:25 pm »

my vera2 does not use USB stick. i googled openHAB raspberry pi and read some install procedures. it's a little bit complicated for me but i will try the demo version when i get the chance. today, wife left and MS Switch 2 turned off nicely. thanks. i am now convinced that it's my vera or my router (or both) that's creating the problem and not your iviri app.

I would have to agree with your assessment.  I can say that it is always easier to blame the app developers and I know that this technology isn't perfect but other than what I am doing in the app most of the fault would fall onto the network of your phone, the OS callbacks that occur or your home network to allow the communication to happen.  I am always trying to make the geofences better but at some point it seems that more blame can come back on the networks involved as all of those need to be working correctly in order for the application to perform right.

Offline waltzer11

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2014, 12:45:21 pm »

when you said you got rid of vera, you are not using vera as your primary controller anymore? pardon my stupid question and i was kind of hesitant to ask but need to clear my curiosity.

Offline jpete7683

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2014, 08:59:12 pm »

when you said you got rid of vera, you are not using vera as your primary controller anymore? pardon my stupid question and i was kind of hesitant to ask but need to clear my curiosity.

Yes that is correct my Vera is no longer my primary controller.  I am running the openHAB project on my Raspberry PI (http://www.openhab.org/)...  There are a couple of us that are working on integrating the Vera with OpenHAB through a binding and keep all of the automation on the openhab side.  I personally moved all of my zwave network over to Openhab except my thermostat and my 2 door locks, so the Vera is still operating those 3 things and I am utilizing the openHAB http binding to make URL calls to the Vera for status and perform operations.  @guessed is working on a true binding and when he opens up the code I will most likely contribute to assist in any way to bring it to life.  I just personally had a terrible experience with MCV support and decided that if that is how they are going to treat me I will do my damnest to get onto a new platform and see that another platform becomes successful as MCV doesn't seem to care much about its users.  To be honest some of the people I have talked to on the openHAB forum are ex-vera users that explicitly left because of the MCV support so I am not alone in my experience with them.  I will upgrade by VeraLite to UI6 and get support for the new MMS Authentication into iViri, and I already have a BETA version of iViri For Openhab working to perform the Geofence operations and basic control along with ibeacons but no ETA on when it will be available in the app store.

Offline waltzer11

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2014, 01:44:12 pm »

Yes that is correct my Vera is no longer my primary controller.  I am running the openHAB project on my Raspberry PI (http://www.openhab.org/)...  There are a couple of us that are working on integrating the Vera with OpenHAB through a binding and keep all of the automation on the openhab side.  I personally moved all of my zwave network over to Openhab except my thermostat and my 2 door locks, so the Vera is still operating those 3 things and I am utilizing the openHAB http binding to make URL calls to the Vera for status and perform operations.  @guessed is working on a true binding and when he opens up the code I will most likely contribute to assist in any way to bring it to life.  I just personally had a terrible experience with MCV support and decided that if that is how they are going to treat me I will do my damnest to get onto a new platform and see that another platform becomes successful as MCV doesn't seem to care much about its users.  To be honest some of the people I have talked to on the openHAB forum are ex-vera users that explicitly left because of the MCV support so I am not alone in my experience with them.  I will upgrade by VeraLite to UI6 and get support for the new MMS Authentication into iViri, and I already have a BETA version of iViri For Openhab working to perform the Geofence operations and basic control along with ibeacons but no ETA on when it will be available in the app store.

i am also very disappointed with MCV support - i rely on this forum more rather than going to them. i  re-read the openHAB software and raspberry Pi and i am beginning to be interested in these stuff. but i will continue to read more before buying. by the way did you get model A, model B, or started kit; so just to get an idea.