Author Topic: Trouble setting up geofence  (Read 7711 times)

Offline adamfox

Re: Trouble setting up geofence
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2014, 04:14:57 pm »
@jpete7683, does that mean you're done with iViri for Vera? I may cry a little if so because this iBeacon thing is going to be crazy useful. Also, any chance you've been able to figure out what's at the root of the Geofence issue? I checked a moment ago and am seeing that my location service is enabled for iViri but the arrow isn't purple (gray without a purple outline). Didn't receive a notification when my wife left earlier today either. Not sure how long this has been a problem. Just recently moved and hooked up the Vera again.

Offline jpete7683

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2014, 05:06:19 pm »
Nope there is no need to worry support for iViri for the Vera will remain, I am not going anywhere.  I am just expanding the support to more controllers to give others options on what they use.  Can you check with-in iViri to see if the geofence button is enabled for that specific geofence?  I am working on stabilizing iViri and its data store, I did experience one time where my geofence was no longer enabled after a period of time and I could never figure out what disabled the cell inside the app, maybe corrupt data source is my thinking but I am working on it.
I am the developer of iViri.  iViri is available in Apple Store.  Check out its Voice Control and Geofence integration, which causes less battery drain than the other options for locating an iphone.

Offline jpete7683

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2014, 05:30:13 pm »
If you are having trouble with the Vera restarting multiple times a day you can attempt to add the swap file to USB stick and turn the logs over to a USB memory stick.  This did help me but ultimately I ended up getting rid of my Vera and swapping it for the openhab project to run on my raspberry pi, with zero reboots!

when you said you got rid of vera, you are not using vera as your primary controller anymore? pardon my stupid question and i was kind of hesitant to ask but need to clear my curiosity.

Yes that is correct my Vera is no longer my primary controller.  I am running the openHAB project on my Raspberry PI (http://www.openhab.org/)...  There are a couple of us that are working on integrating the Vera with OpenHAB through a binding and keep all of the automation on the openhab side.  I personally moved all of my zwave network over to Openhab except my thermostat and my 2 door locks, so the Vera is still operating those 3 things and I am utilizing the openHAB http binding to make URL calls to the Vera for status and perform operations.  @guessed is working on a true binding and when he opens up the code I will most likely contribute to assist in any way to bring it to life.  I just personally had a terrible experience with MCV support and decided that if that is how they are going to treat me I will do my damnest to get onto a new platform and see that another platform becomes successful as MCV doesn't seem to care much about its users.  To be honest some of the people I have talked to on the openHAB forum are ex-vera users that explicitly left because of the MCV support so I am not alone in my experience with them.  I will upgrade by VeraLite to UI6 and get support for the new MMS Authentication into iViri, and I already have a BETA version of iViri For Openhab working to perform the Geofence operations and basic control along with ibeacons but no ETA on when it will be available in the app store.

i am also very disappointed with MCV support - i rely on this forum more rather than going to them. i  re-read the openHAB software and raspberry Pi and i am beginning to be interested in these stuff. but i will continue to read more before buying. by the way did you get model A, model B, or started kit; so just to get an idea.

I have the model B.  My original intention was not to use a raspberry pi for it, but it ended up being the easy computer I had laying around that could be repurposed for this project.  I will eventually go to another computer in my house that has more horse power, but the RPI does great on its own.  The latest model B running java 1.8 would be enough for most people and openHAB has so much going for it, check it out and play with it.  Also if we get the binding moving forward for the Vera you will be able to keep your zwave network on your Vera so it doesn't go to waste and then tap into it using the openhab binding for Vera and you can then incorporate tons of other things with it around the house using openHAB as your central HUB.
I am the developer of iViri.  iViri is available in Apple Store.  Check out its Voice Control and Geofence integration, which causes less battery drain than the other options for locating an iphone.

Offline adamfox

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2014, 07:37:08 pm »
oh okay, that was switched off. i was a bit confused, thinking that indicated the virtual switch was on/off. thanks!

Offline jpete7683

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2014, 08:20:05 pm »
oh okay, that was switched off. i was a bit confused, thinking that indicated the virtual switch was on/off. thanks!

That switch gives you the ability to have geofences be turned on and off.  The assumption was that on the weekend maybe there was some operations that you would want to activate when you crossed a geofence.  Like if you set one up for when you arrive at work and lets say you need to stop by the office to grab something on the weekend you wouldn't want your house to completely react to you going to your office to pick something up.

Offline adamfox

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2014, 08:21:01 pm »
Hmm... Still no luck with this. I've got the switch in iViri enabled and am seeing the Location Services geofence icon next to iViri but iViri doesn't seem to be tripping my virtual switch. Any thoughts? Appreciate all the help, btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jpete7683

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2014, 05:25:39 pm »
Hmm... Still no luck with this. I've got the switch in iViri enabled and am seeing the Location Services geofence icon next to iViri but iViri doesn't seem to be tripping my virtual switch. Any thoughts? Appreciate all the help, btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you go to settings and turn on the notifications, that way you can see if it is network related or iViri related.  Notify on Enter/Exit is the option I want enabled.  If you get notifications then it is your network that is the issue and not iViri as it is sending the request but the request is taking longer than 3 minutes to complete.

Offline tb001

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2014, 12:57:35 pm »
I'm in the same boat--just getting back to trying to fix this. I've reinstalled everything and still no luck. I have notifications enabled and not getting any when I enter/exit the area

Offline jpete7683

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2014, 01:17:26 pm »
I'm in the same boat--just getting back to trying to fix this. I've reinstalled everything and still no luck. I have notifications enabled and not getting any when I enter/exit the area

Is there a purple triangle next to iViri under privacy settings on your device?

Offline tb001

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2014, 01:30:39 pm »

In location services? Yes, an outlined purple triangle. Not filled in.

Offline SM2k

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2014, 03:08:20 pm »
Along the general lines of geofence troubles. Sometimes when I leave home/work iViri simply does not wake up and toggle the multi-switch I have it set to. My best guess is that switching back and forth between iViri and other control programs might be to blame. Once I start iViri, things seem to start working again. Is anybody else experiencing something like this?

I consequently have left notifications turned on so that I get the "Switch OK" dialog--and speaking of that notification. Is it possible for you to clear previous notifications when iViri is opened @jpete7683? I currently need to go into IOS's message center to clear them manually.

Offline jpete7683

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2014, 05:51:46 pm »

Turn on the setting to Notify on Enter/Exit and you will see when the phone detects the exit and entrance of a region and if that is differing from what you are seeing happen, then you need to adjust the lon/lat that is defined.  Try using the manual setup of the lon/lat when you are in the center of your home too as the address may not be correct on apples geocoding services.

Offline jpete7683

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2014, 05:53:14 pm »
Along the general lines of geofence troubles. Sometimes when I leave home/work iViri simply does not wake up and toggle the multi-switch I have it set to. My best guess is that switching back and forth between iViri and other control programs might be to blame. Once I start iViri, things seem to start working again. Is anybody else experiencing something like this?

I consequently have left notifications turned on so that I get the "Switch OK" dialog--and speaking of that notification. Is it possible for you to clear previous notifications when iViri is opened @jpete7683? I currently need to go into IOS's message center to clear them manually.

Yes I actually used to always do this but removed it because of the no network notification I want to be able to allow users to manually do a geofence crossing, but I will look into putting this back in.

Offline tb001

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2014, 06:39:12 pm »

Turn on the setting to Notify on Enter/Exit and you will see when the phone detects the exit and entrance of a region and if that is differing from what you are seeing happen, then you need to adjust the lon/lat that is defined.  Try using the manual setup of the lon/lat when you are in the center of your home too as the address may not be correct on apples geocoding services.

Yeah, unfortunately the issue is that I'm not getting any notifications. I've had this enabled for the last week, but nothing. I've double checked the lon/lat and it looks spot on. Tried to get on and do a bit more troubleshooting and now my application is crashing whenever I log on :(

I also use the home wave app--is it possible the iviri and home wave are fighting to connect to vera?

Any suggestions would be great. I'd love to get this and the beacons integrated and working with vera!

Offline jpete7683

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2014, 11:32:10 pm »

Yeah, unfortunately the issue is that I'm not getting any notifications. I've had this enabled for the last week, but nothing. I've double checked the lon/lat and it looks spot on. Tried to get on and do a bit more troubleshooting and now my application is crashing whenever I log on :(

I also use the home wave app--is it possible the iviri and home wave are fighting to connect to vera?

Any suggestions would be great. I'd love to get this and the beacons integrated and working with vera!

The only crash that I am aware of with iViri is if you don't have your Vera Unit named.  If that is named, then I will need to work with you on a BETA to figure out what is causing your crashes.  Email me at support@instruodev.com