We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Lutron vs Levitron vs ???  (Read 9566 times)

Offline tb001

Lutron vs Levitron vs ???
« on: July 18, 2014, 06:29:48 pm »
We currently have basic lutron switches throughout the house and I'm just starting to think about automating our lighting. We have tons of switches, so no intention of replacing every switch, which means we need something that matches our current switches pretty well--they're ivory so this rules out many of the less expensive switches.

I *think* the ideal solution would be to use something like the aeon labs microswitch with our current switches, but we have several 4-gang boxes and I'm worried about being able to get these to fit into the boxes. Am I right to be concerned about that?

I'm leaning towards installing the Lutron RA switches and integrating into vera, but there doesn't seem to be a ton of feedback from people using the RA plugin. Would love to hear from some people who are using the plugin--wondering if there are any gaps/disadvantages to going this route that I'm missing, other than the added cost. Are there any components which don't integrate well, other than the larger scene controllers?

Alternatively, I'm looking at Levitron, which seems to have similar capabilities and would likely be a more straightforward integration, but after seeing all of the competing standards coming out, I'm a bit leery of investing what will end up being a fair amount of $ in z-wave only. Feels like Lutron is such a fixture in the space that they're more likely to be supported in the long term, though maybe that's unfair.

Any thoughts/opinions on the best route would be appreciated--I've been reading up here on all of the different options and going in circles over this decision for months now! Any another alternatives I should consider?

Offline Ramias

Re: Lutron vs Levitron vs ???
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 02:01:12 pm »
I can speak to the Lutron Radio RA2.

Great lighting system that works great stand-alone.

The plugin has worked fine for me.

I use it with my lights and multi-keypads and shades.

I can use a button on my multi keypad to act as a trigger and turn Sonos on and off.

I had (past tense) a GE/Jasco light switch and it lost pairing with Vera when the power was cut.  That's since been replaced with a Lutron switch (That I can control with an Aeonlabs minimote via Vera).

Every electrician I've spoken to looks down at Leviton ("builder's grade") and detests GE ("Good Enough").

Per them, Lutron is considered the gold standard. 

But I am sure people have had success with Leviton switches.

Offline RHINESEL

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 12:49:06 am »
The good thing about Leviton is that they support instant status changes.  Only they and Cooper do that I believe (Cooper licenses the patent from Leviton).

I just installed some Leviton RF+ dimmers and a switch.  For the short period I'm happy with them.  Feel very good, certainly does not feel like "builder's grade".  Look good too.

Offline tb001

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 10:50:31 am »
Rhinesel and Ramias, thanks so much for your feedback on the leviton and lutron. Very helpful!

Ramias, great to hear your experience with the plugin has been positive. Ultimately, we'd like to put in shades as well, so it's nice to know these will also work. I think we'll end up going with lutron, of for no other reason than I don't want to deal with trying to match two different manufacturers versions of ivory!

The leviton switches looked decent to me, but I think your electrician's comments, even if unfounded, mean the lutron systems may be viewed more as a gold standard, which hopefully means they'll be supported for some time. Also have the advantage of working without a z-wave system, if we ever decided to sell the house.

Thanks again for the feedback--it's very appreciated.