Author Topic: VeraMate GeoFences (Version >= 7.0)  (Read 19056 times)

Offline veramate

• VeraMate
Re: VeraMate GeoFences (Version >= 7.0)
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2014, 06:04:24 am »
Ok I've found the problem - there has been a change with iOS8 for location services.  GeoFencing will be broken until I get a patch out.
VeraMate for iOS - simple, customisable, Vera control.  http://www.veramate.com
Apple Watch, Voice Control, GeoFencing, iBeacons, Today Widget, UI5/6/7 support, Alerts.

Offline Juppers

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2014, 09:34:28 am »
I see ibeacon right under my geofence when I look at a scene in edit mode.

Offline veramate

• VeraMate
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2014, 09:42:43 am »
I see ibeacon right under my geofence when I look at a scene in edit mode.

Ah - that's... a sneak preview of the upcoming iBeacon support :)   (It's not enabled yet, so it shouldn't actually be showing.)   It's starting support for iBeacons in the next version - iBeacons are effectively little geofence devices for local/inside areas (see http://estimote.com/).
Apple Watch, Voice Control, GeoFencing, iBeacons, Today Widget, UI5/6/7 support, Alerts.

Offline n0ir

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2014, 10:44:53 am »
Just letting you know I have had some problems with geofencing lately...

My VeraMate says I have left, and almost immediately later arrived at, my assigned geofence, even though I am still in the same place and the assigned geofence is much larger than the GPS margin.

I just thought it was a temporary bug so I stopped using VeraMate for a couple of weeks but today when I re-installed everything I still get this behaviour.

Do you now why this suddenly have stopped working properly?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 02:07:42 pm by n0ir »

Offline n0ir

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2014, 03:42:55 pm »
Updated to version 8 today and thought the problems described above should maybe have sorted themselves, but it seems the problem persist.

Any thought on why, veramate?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 03:44:46 pm by n0ir »

Offline lemrock

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2014, 12:43:37 pm »
GeoFences is misbehaving. I have only one GeoFence setup for home and the entry and exit designations won't stick.  For example I setup the Geofence then I say on exit run a Scene. When I recheck it now says on entry. NO matter what I do it continues to do this behavior. Geo Fences was working beautifully some weeks ago, now it can't use it at all. I am on iOS8 but this started happening when I was also on iOS7.

Offline lemrock

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2014, 02:22:21 pm »
Nevermind. It's working again.

Offline veramate

• VeraMate
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2014, 05:58:57 am »
Updated to version 8 today and thought the problems described above should maybe have sorted themselves, but it seems the problem persist.

Any thought on why, veramate?

The intrinsic problem with GeoFences is the accuracy.  iPhones send a lot of location information, a lot of which is useless/wrong, which VeraMate has to filter out.  And when it jumps around if it can't get a good location, it might seem you're entering and exiting.

Suggestions I would make is:
  • making the range bigger?  Maybe your area doesn't have good coverage, so the little corrections could jump you out of the fence too easily.
  • the iPhone uses the wifi signal to better triangulate, so if this isn't on already, it might provide better accuracy

I'm currently testing some code which attempts to re-verify the location, so am weighing this up to any discernible delays over accuracy.  This might make it into the next release.

Offline veramate

• VeraMate
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2014, 06:00:07 am »
Nevermind. It's working again.

Let me know if it does - I haven't been able to replicate this, not sure what might've happened...

Offline n0ir

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2014, 06:11:28 am »
The intrinsic problem with GeoFences is the accuracy.  iPhones send a lot of location information, a lot of which is useless/wrong, which VeraMate has to filter out.  And when it jumps around if it can't get a good location, it might seem you're entering and exiting.

Suggestions I would make is:
  • making the range bigger?  Maybe your area doesn't have good coverage, so the little corrections could jump you out of the fence too easily.
  • the iPhone uses the wifi signal to better triangulate, so if this isn't on already, it might provide better accuracy

I'm currently testing some code which attempts to re-verify the location, so am weighing this up to any discernible delays over accuracy.  This might make it into the next release.

I have already tried this but unfortunately to no avail.

The weird thing it USED to work. It's just the latest couple of months geofencing have stopped working properly. I have not switched iPhone or operator, nor have I made any upgrades on my Vera. Could it have anything do to with upgrading to iOS 7 a while back?

Offline veramate

• VeraMate
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2014, 06:53:01 am »
I have already tried this but unfortunately to no avail.

The weird thing it USED to work. It's just the latest couple of months geofencing have stopped working properly. I have not switched iPhone or operator, nor have I made any upgrades on my Vera. Could it have anything do to with upgrading to iOS 7 a while back?

I doubt it had anything to do with your phone - every release I've tried to refine the parameters of detecting the fence, and it looks like in your situation these made it worst.  My tests are performed in a large city, which obviously has great coverage, and I know of users who seem to get bad reception but still are able to use it with large fences.

Would you be able to send me a diagnostic after it jumps in and out of a fence?  I might be able to glean something for that.

Offline n0ir

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2014, 04:07:50 am »
Would you be able to send me a diagnostic after it jumps in and out of a fence?  I might be able to glean something for that.

Yes, of course but how? ;)

Offline veramate

• VeraMate
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2014, 04:22:15 am »
Yes, of course but how? ;)

:)  Use the contact tab in the settings, and when you press the email button it'll ask if you'd like to include diagnostics.

Offline Juppers

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2014, 11:42:39 am »
Mine seems to like to leave the fence without ever reentering. I am well within the fence the whole time. I'll send some diagnostics from the app.

Offline veramate

• VeraMate
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2014, 10:46:18 am »
(Sorry for the delay in replying/updating - I've been travelling so haven't had a chance).

Mine seems to like to leave the fence without ever reentering. I am well within the fence the whole time. I'll send some diagnostics from the app.

Although you haven't physically left the fence, VeraMate only knows what iOS tells it, which in these cases have been that you've managed to jump out, and back in.   :-\

I've just had 8.1 released - this update doesn't believe everything iOS tells us, so does a bit of statistical analysis before triggering anything.  This might cause a couple seconds more delay, but I'm hoping it will negate these issues.   I'll be interested if you still have these issues after the upgrade.