Author Topic: VeraMate GeoFences (Version >= 7.0)  (Read 17866 times)

Offline aaronsquire

Re: VeraMate GeoFences (Version >= 7.0)
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2014, 08:12:57 pm »
If I click on geofences, it still crashes.
Thanks!

Offline Kullematz

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2014, 04:07:21 am »
Same problem... ???

Offline lemrock

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2014, 02:00:08 pm »
GeoFences on my Iphone 5 (iOS 8.x) has started to act in a funny fashion. Although I am well within the GeoFence and the phone is stationary, It will all of a sudden signal it's outside the fence and start to run my Away from Home scene. It was exibiting the same behavior last week but I thought changing the size of the fence (larger) would solve that problem...not so. I also experimented with the less accurate usage and that didn't solve the problem either.

Offline East

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2014, 04:25:36 pm »
What about using geofences only during some schedules? Like for instance only make some scene happen during the night.

I'm going to try and include this in version 8.  At the moment you can do this by using some LUUP code in your trigger, but I do want this in VeraMate's interface as well.
[/quote]

I'm using version 8.1.1.1 of Veramate, have you add the sunset to the geofence trigger yet? Because I can't find it.

Offline veramate

• VeraMate
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2014, 05:28:57 pm »
If I click on geofences, it still crashes.

I believe I have been able to replicate this (with some help).  If a fence is deleted that is part of an active scene, with no other fences, this will cause a crash next time you enter the screen.  The only way around this at the moment is to delete and re-install VeraMate.   This will of course clear out any configuration you have unfortunately.

I have a patch ready to get to Apple, so otherwise, expect a patch for this in a week.
VeraMate for iOS - simple, customisable, Vera control.  http://www.veramate.com
Apple Watch, Voice Control, GeoFencing, iBeacons, Today Widget, UI5/6/7 support, Alerts.

Offline veramate

• VeraMate
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2014, 05:48:05 pm »
I'm using version 8.1.1.1 of Veramate, have you add the sunset to the geofence trigger yet? Because I can't find it.

No it hasn't made it into 8 yet - I didn't have quite enough time as UI changes can cost quite a bit of time.  I'll expect it within the next couple of versions to bring it inline/extend with the iBeacon interface which'll be at the same time.
Apple Watch, Voice Control, GeoFencing, iBeacons, Today Widget, UI5/6/7 support, Alerts.

Offline cnibbana

« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2014, 02:43:01 pm »
GeoFences on my Iphone 5 (iOS 8.x) has started to act in a funny fashion. Although I am well within the GeoFence and the phone is stationary, It will all of a sudden signal it's outside the fence and start to run my Away from Home scene.

Having similar issues.  Sitting in my house, stationary, Geofence will randomly activate Home or Away mode.  A few minutes to a few hours later, Geofence will activate Home or Away mode again.  This happens all day long and is quickly killing the battery in my Z-Wave door lock.  When I'm actually away (many, many miles away), sometimes it randomly activates Home or Away mode.  I have an iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1 and veraMate Premium 8.1.2.1.  These problems just started once the GeoFence feature was reinitiated to work with iOS8.

Offline RevMillertime

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2014, 10:19:49 pm »
GeoFences on my Iphone 5 (iOS 8.x) has started to act in a funny fashion. Although I am well within the GeoFence and the phone is stationary, It will all of a sudden signal it's outside the fence and start to run my Away from Home scene.

Having similar issues.  Sitting in my house, stationary, Geofence will randomly activate Home or Away mode.  A few minutes to a few hours later, Geofence will activate Home or Away mode again.  This happens all day long and is quickly killing the battery in my Z-Wave door lock.  When I'm actually away (many, many miles away), sometimes it randomly activates Home or Away mode.  I have an iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1 and veraMate Premium 8.1.2.1.  These problems just started once the GeoFence feature was reinitiated to work with iOS8.

Same here.  Frequency increased over the last week.   Got so bad that I shut both off... or so i thought.  Still getting notifications of "entry" and "exit", with no scene attached.

Offline veramate

• VeraMate
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2014, 05:57:39 am »
Same here.  Frequency increased over the last week.   Got so bad that I shut both off... or so i thought.  Still getting notifications of "entry" and "exit", with no scene attached.

I'll just add an update here - I've found a bug in VeraMate where it was checking vertical (altitude) accuracy for one of the tests rather then along the ground.... pretty silly :), but, will have an impact on the fences.   In testing now, and will release in next version (8.4) to hopefully help out some of these issues.

Offline East

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2014, 02:23:43 pm »
Geofencing is really draining the battery while running in the background. I'm using iOS 8.1.2 on iPhone 6 plus. The Philips hue app is much more energy efficient.

Offline n0ir

« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2014, 06:06:58 pm »
Yes, it is really killing my battery too...

VeraMate obviously drained 43% (!) of my battery yesterday. :S 25% last week. iPhone 5.

Offline East

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2014, 07:25:40 am »
I've turned on "force less accuracy" in the settings of Veramate, battery drain is much reduced now.

Offline veramate

• VeraMate
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2014, 03:19:20 am »
I'm working on improvements for the GeoFencing algorithm - in order to make sure VeraMate gets an accurate reading, it needs to turn on GPS to a high accuracy, which causes the battery drain (this is to prevent the multiple firings we've been seeing).

I'm in the process of tweaking this, as although the accuracy is increased the closer you are to a fence, there are improvements that can be done to the code.

Offline East

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2014, 06:21:06 am »
I think the Philips Hue app wifi to get accurate location for geofencing.

And can you add the option that only after sunset a scene will be triggered when entering the defined geofence area.

Edit:
According to:http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/gadget/3506391/philips-hue-review/

Philips Hue review: Geofencing in action

To use the geofencing facilities, you'll need to set up an account with Philips and remain logged in with your smartphone at all times. We asked Philips about the potential for running down the phone's battery if the app is constantly polling for your location.
'Philips hue's geofencing feature mitigates against significant battery consumption by not relying on energy-hungry GPS technology,' we were informed.
'Instead, hue's smartphone platforms using geofencing rely on cell phone tower and WiFi network triangulation. Communicating and scanning for these is something the phone is doing anyway in order to receive phone calls and automatically connect to known WiFi hotspots; therefore the extra power consumption of geofencing is negligible.'
Philips has also assured us that it does not track your location; once a geofence event has been configured, such as 'switch on lights when I'm near home', a dialogue only occurs between your phone and your home bridge unit.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 07:29:43 am by East »

Offline veramate

• VeraMate
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2014, 03:58:10 am »
I think the Philips Hue app wifi to get accurate location for geofencing.

And can you add the option that only after sunset a scene will be triggered when entering the defined geofence area.

The "force less accuracy" option in VeraMate essentially does this.  The problem with this though is it isn't accurate enough for most of VeraMate users.  I'm obviously a bit overzealous at the moment, but I'll hope the next algorithm is better.

I'll be working on trigger times (some of the code is already there), but need to finish off these other bugs/issues before hand.