Author Topic: VeraMate GeoFences (Version >= 7.0)  (Read 20377 times)

Offline veramate

• VeraMate
Re: VeraMate GeoFences (Version >= 7.0)
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2015, 06:00:27 am »
I have actually noticed some issues after the iOS9 upgrade, and I am currently looking into this.  I'm not entirely certain yet what has changed, as I believe VeraMate is adhering to the rules Apple stipulates, unless something has changed I'm not aware of.

I've fixed some logging in the 10.1 version, which will hopefully show a bit more clearly what's happening.  If you could send diagnostics (from both your phones), perhaps not too long after an event you believe should have occurred (since you're using the beta), that would be quite helpful.

(Bit of a backlog of requests/support at the moment, so any final fix will unlikely get into 10.1, but will be available on any betas).
VeraMate for iOS - simple, customisable, Vera control.  http://www.veramate.com
Apple Watch, Voice Control, GeoFencing, iBeacons, Today Widget, UI5/6/7 support, Alerts.

Offline racarter

« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2015, 07:26:46 am »
VeraMate:

I've noticed that for some reasons the Geofencing for me in the app is becoming less and less reliable for some reason. It almost always had worked well for me when I left or entered my "home" geofence and would then arm or disarm various sensors based on what I was doing. My wife's almost never worked though when she left this same area. Now I've noticed that my geofence only works about half the time and I didn't change anything. I have both of our sensitivity on "maximum" for the geofencing now whereas before I even had it on minimum. I've also noticed that when my wife and I are in the same car and we enter or leave the home geofence, only one of our apps might respond to us entering or leaving -- both apps have never responded and changed state together like one would expect.

Is there anything I can try to do to make the geofencing feature more responsive? I was thinking about setting a larger geofence encompassing a wider area then the first so that if the app didn't pick up on me entering or leaving one, it might the other?? I don't know what else I can try at this point...

+1 for this.
Indigo, Vera Edge/Datamine, Everspring and TKBHOME socket switches, SM103 door detectors, Homepro ZRP210 appliance modules, Fibaro relay switches, EZMotion 3 in 1 sensors, Heatmiser thermostats, Hikvision DVR/CCTV, Sonos, Texecom, Diax motorised deadlock.

Offline agoodman82

« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2015, 12:45:09 pm »
VeraMate:

The next time I observe me enter or leave my geofence with no change state I will definitely send you the diagnostics. I appreciate your looking into this! It must be complicated to have to deal with constant iOS updates that break something that was working prior. Had I not had iOS 9 forced on me when I purchased a new iPhone 6s I would have definitely kept iOS 8.4 as I found that to be a very reliable build (especially with VeraMate).

Offline veramate

• VeraMate
« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2015, 11:02:52 am »
Update: this hasn't been completely fixed for 10.1; the background processing looks to have changed in iOS9, meaning it's a bit harder to have certain things keep checking location in the background such as the geofencing.

It won't be fixed for 10.1... still investigating ways around at the moment so hopefully 10.2 :/
Apple Watch, Voice Control, GeoFencing, iBeacons, Today Widget, UI5/6/7 support, Alerts.

Offline agoodman82

« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2015, 10:22:47 pm »
It's a shame iOS 9 seemed to contribute to the breaking of a number of key features of VeraMate for me. Keep at it VeraMate!! lol I know you'll figure something out... I keep testing the new beta versions but sadly no improvement for me on geofencing state changes or push notifications. I'll keep testing and providing feedback.

Offline veramate

• VeraMate
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2015, 06:38:31 am »
Yes unfortunately a number of things changed which is hard for small developers to know about - requires a huge amount of investigation !

You're still having problems with push notifications now?  I'm not aware there were any other issues after 10.1.... let me know (bit of a delay with support requests during this xmas period, but I will respond asap).

And the 10.2.0.5 and above betas have fixed the GeoFencing issue.  Apple decided to require another (imo, redundent) request in the code which is now needed.  10.2 should be released by Apple in around 4/5 days hopefully for non-beta users.

Offline NewfD90

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2016, 01:35:34 pm »
I've been trying out VeraMate as a replacement for iViri (geofences only), but the geofence seems to drift over time until it barely works at the end of a week.  If I go into the geofences on the app and reset the geofence, it'll work again for about a week.  Actually I first noticed the drift when my garage door opened and closed about 6 times while I was asleep.

Looking back in this thread, it looks like this has been an issue for a while.  Any progress?