We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: VeraMate GeoFences (Version >= 7.0)  (Read 35019 times)

Offline lemrock

Re: VeraMate GeoFences (Version >= 7.0)
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2014, 05:59:58 pm »
First of all let me state that of all the Vera remote control software, Veramate is and remains my favorite. I applaud the developer for all the work. Now with that said, I will not be using the GeoFences feature anymore. With every iteration of updates, GeoFences is not at all consistent in it's operation for me. Sometimes it works but most times (for me) it does not. It comes on randomly when I am within the fence and sometimes will not fire at all when I leave or enter the fence. As I said it has not been consistent in it's behavior for me. Also with this latest version my battery usage has gone up dramatically and it doesn't seem to matter if I enforce less accuracy.  GeoFence for me was not necessarily a necessity but a desire. The rest of Veramate operation trumps all of that negative and I will be sticking around to see what new features the developer has in store.

Offline pentium

« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2014, 06:06:22 pm »
I tend to agree with veramate being my favorite.  That said, I will have to continue to keep iviri on my phone for the same reasons mentioned above.  My spouse simply will not tolerate the battery usage and frankly, the geofence setup is just not very intuitive for me.  I too want to applaud the developer, it is very easy to see how much work is going into the product and I can't even imagine trying to do that during an apple os change and whatever the heck vera's UI7 is trying to prove.  Geofencing is absolutely a priority for me, much more so than voice commands.  Right now I have at least three apps on my phone for vera and my goal is to be able to get rid of two of them.

Offline wj

« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2014, 01:39:00 pm »
Veramate is definitely my Mios app of choice too but having used Geofences successfully for some time, both mine and my wife's iPhones have starting getting hot (not warm) when we allow access to location services. You can then watch the battery drain in front of your eyes!

This is recent so I would be interested to hear if anyone else has noticed a similar change recently. 

I have contacted the developer and will update when I get a reply.

Offline veramate

« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2014, 06:32:06 pm »
Veramate is definitely my Mios app of choice too but having used Geofences successfully for some time, both mine and my wife's iPhones have starting getting hot (not warm) when we allow access to location services. You can then watch the battery drain in front of your eyes!

This is recent so I would be interested to hear if anyone else has noticed a similar change recently. 

I have contacted the developer and will update when I get a reply.

Thanks guys.   Yes, the battery usage in 8.3/8.4 is definitely a problem!   A patch was with Apple, but it looks like they haven't released it before their xmas freeze period.  Meaning it'll be out after the 29th, possibly up to a week after.

In the meantime, setting the "force less accuracy" will make it use the low power (wifi/cell tower signals) which will stop the high battery usage.
VeraMate for iOS - simple, customisable, Vera control.  http://www.veramate.com
Apple Watch, Voice Control, GeoFencing, iBeacons, Today Widget, UI5/6/7 support, Alerts.

Offline sasaba

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2015, 07:36:15 pm »
Have been monitoring geofence activation and fairly consistently triggers within 10-30 sec. or 0.1-0.2 miles on exiting boundry but on entering can get all the way home 0.5 miles (>60 seconds) most of the time before triggering and sometimes it even takes more time before it triggers. Would just have assumed this was just the inaccuracy in the system but very consistent triggering quickly on exit and fairly consistent with the delay on triggering on entry.

Offline dionmes

« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2015, 06:34:46 am »
So how does this work with two persons in a home? For example, if I leave the house is there a condition that it doesn't activate a scene based on another person still at home?

Offline veramate

« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2015, 09:00:37 am »
Have been monitoring geofence activation and fairly consistently triggers within 10-30 sec. or 0.1-0.2 miles on exiting boundry but on entering can get all the way home 0.5 miles (>60 seconds) most of the time before triggering and sometimes it even takes more time before it triggers. Would just have assumed this was just the inaccuracy in the system but very consistent triggering quickly on exit and fairly consistent with the delay on triggering on entry.

That's an interesting observation.  It should be using the same mechanism to trigger exit/entry - It does seem often on entry the phone moves inside (for example) where the reception isn't as good, and hence can't get the accurate signal VeraMate requires to be sure of the location.  I'll look into this and see if there's something else at play...
Apple Watch, Voice Control, GeoFencing, iBeacons, Today Widget, UI5/6/7 support, Alerts.

Offline veramate

« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2015, 09:59:31 am »
So how does this work with two persons in a home? For example, if I leave the house is there a condition that it doesn't activate a scene based on another person still at home?

There's a number of ways to do this, but basically you need to record the state of who's home in a button etc.  There's an example on the FAQ:
http://www.veramate.com/faq/geofence#GeoFence-multi

Offline dionmes

« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2015, 03:16:22 am »

There's a number of ways to do this, but basically you need to record the state of who's home in a button etc.  There's an example on the FAQ:
http://www.veramate.com/faq/geofence#GeoFence-multi
Thanks...Now I wish my virtual switches didnt dissapear all the time, but that is a whole other issue :D

Offline agoodman82

« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2015, 12:52:21 am »
I've been actively testing the GeoFences with VeraMate and although I note inconsistencies with when scenes fire if I leave/arrive home, I have to say it is leaps and bounds better than my prior location-based scene activation using a combination of the iPhoneLocator app for Vera and a PLEG. Even if the virtual switch doesn't trip, I find it extremely easy to just manually change the state with a tap of the virtual switch. The battery drain on my iPhone seems pretty negligible, and I'm hopefully further updates can get the GeoFences to be even more consistent in the future.

Offline veramate

« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2015, 04:55:46 am »
Well I guess it's good to know it's better then others :)  The accuracy can be quite a problem though - depending on different factors it might take a goodly time to get an accurate enough signal.   This can be controlled to a certain degree via the settings with specifying effectively how often it should try, which greatly varies the battery life.  Unfortunately it's just the nature of the gps chip that using it often, especially to get accurate positions, can take quite a bit of battery.

The scan time affects how often an attempt is made, but I may put in another option to spend a bit more time getting that accurate signal, which should help the consistency.

Offline Scoutmedic

« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2015, 06:49:16 pm »
Hey VeraMate, I too like the app, but am having issues with geofences. I have my fence set at nearly 1500 meters and get notices when I enter/exit, but modes don't change no matter how long I wait. I thought it maybe was a conflict between geofences with Vera and VeraMate, so I deleted the Geofence in Vera, but no change. Any thoughts? Running UI7, iOS 8, and current VeraMate on iPhone 6.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2015, 06:59:55 pm »
I get error alerts that geofences didn't run. How do I find out more info on why this happens so often?

Offline veramate

« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2015, 12:54:08 pm »
9.5 currently has a bug with GeoFences and preset modes :/  This is fixed and will be out for 9.6 which I'm delaying to get some issues fixed, so will likely be out in 2.5 - 3 weeks (with Apples current approval time).

Offline agoodman82

« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2015, 07:14:33 pm »
VeraMate:

I've noticed that for some reasons the Geofencing for me in the app is becoming less and less reliable for some reason. It almost always had worked well for me when I left or entered my "home" geofence and would then arm or disarm various sensors based on what I was doing. My wife's almost never worked though when she left this same area. Now I've noticed that my geofence only works about half the time and I didn't change anything. I have both of our sensitivity on "maximum" for the geofencing now whereas before I even had it on minimum. I've also noticed that when my wife and I are in the same car and we enter or leave the home geofence, only one of our apps might respond to us entering or leaving -- both apps have never responded and changed state together like one would expect.

Is there anything I can try to do to make the geofencing feature more responsive? I was thinking about setting a larger geofence encompassing a wider area then the first so that if the app didn't pick up on me entering or leaving one, it might the other?? I don't know what else I can try at this point...