We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Leviton DZS15-1LZ  (Read 41331 times)

Offline jasonkhonlaw

• Sr. Newbie
Re: Leviton DZS15-1LZ
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2014, 12:24:50 pm »
FYI: Response from Leviton.  Glad it's not being phased out.  It was actually just released last month.  I really like these switches.

Thank you for contacting Leviton. The DZS15 is not currently being phased out, this product line was just released in July. This product line (DZS15, DZMX1, DZR15, DZPD3, and DZPA1) is NOT compatible with the Vizia RF+ line. This line is z-wave compatible, and has the same look as the Vizia RF+ line, but is not compatible.

Offline RHINESEL

« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2014, 03:11:04 pm »
No fan control.   :(  Still have to use the overpriced RF+ one.

At least Staples is selling it for "cheap" at $99.00.

Offline jasonkhonlaw

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2014, 06:18:10 pm »

Question about that if you don't mind.  The ceiling fans in my house have no pull string and have two switches, one for turning the fan 'on' and another for turning the fan light 'on'.  I do not know the brand/model of the fans or have any documentation on them at all.

If I bought one of those and replaced the fan 'on' switch, could I control the speed of the fan.  Is that what they are designed for?  Does the fan have to be especially built to use one of those controls?

Offline RHINESEL

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2014, 06:21:32 pm »

Question about that if you don't mind.  The ceiling fans in my house have no pull string and have two switches, one for turning the fan 'on' and another for turning the fan light 'on'.  I do not know the brand/model of the fans or have any documentation on them at all.

If I bought one of those and replaced the fan 'on' switch, could I control the speed of the fan.  Is that what they are designed for?  Does the fan have to be especially built to use one of those controls?

As far as I understand, yes.  The RF+ fan control switch VRF01-1LZ is made to adjust the fan speed.  While it looks like a normal dimmer it is made especially for fans.  You can not use a normal dimmer on a fan as it will cause damage to the motor.

http://www.staples.com/leviton+fan+control/directory_leviton+fan+control

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • Release compat is not a bolted-on afterthought
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2014, 09:51:15 pm »
I bought two of these DZS15-1LZ units today from HD today (to get the 99c deal on the Wink Hub hardware).

Connected it up to my old USB Z-Stick, with openHAB, to see what this thing does send during "physical press" On/Off events. 

It's definitely sending Z-Wave messages through to the Z-Stick controller during physical press events on the Switch.

Loosely, the Switch appears to send the following to the Z-Stick controller:

<- ApplicationUpdate (0x49)
    -> SWITCH_BINARY_GET
    <- ACK
    <- APPLICATION_STATUS (0x22) (which openHAB doesn't handle)

It's possible the issues in the openHAB interaction are caused by me, since I had to cobble together a Z-Wave product/device definition for the DZS15-1LZ.

I haven't yet attached it to Vera's Z-Wave network, to see how it behaves there, but it's promising that it's sending something over that _could_ be used to trigger a request to understand the "current state" of the switch (with the appropriate changes on Vera's side)

Offline tomgru

« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2014, 09:55:28 pm »
oh man... I got two of these a week ago.  Not sure what I would have done with the hub.... but would have grabbed it for 99 cents just for fun!

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2014, 10:24:44 pm »
oh man... I got two of these a week ago.  Not sure what I would have done with the hub.... but would have grabbed it for 99 cents just for fun!

It's in the "for hacking" pile.  It has about the same resources as a Vera Lite, except it has a lot of radios.

I swear when I checked last time the discount only applied with specific Wink products (like their Sprinkler controller) but this time around it was open-season...  8)

Offline RHINESEL

« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2014, 10:56:48 pm »
It looks like it's an "in store" only promotion.  My local HD don't have the switches.  :-[

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2014, 11:53:35 pm »
[...]
Loosely, the Switch appears to send the following to the Z-Stick controller:
    <- ApplicationUpdate (0x49)

[...] but it's promising that it's sending something over that _could_ be used to trigger a request to understand the "current state" of the switch (with the appropriate changes on Vera's side)
I think for the traditional Vizia RF+ line, a standalone switch/dimmer will (also) emit a hail. It may be different for devices participating in Z-Wave scenes (as multiple controllers may need to be updated). Both features may not exist / be disabled in the Decora Z-Wave line (although it does say 'scene capable')?

So the only thing that is emitted is the node information frame (i.e. the 0x49 in your trace). As a pseudo workaround (for instant status), that could be used as a trigger in a controller (when received 'unexpectedly'), to request current state. As is done, for instance, for the GE's. The drawback is presumably that this only works in direct radio range.
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2014, 12:58:23 pm »
@oTi@.
I'm not seeing the HAIL on my Vera-registered Leviton RF+ devices, but you see that Vera has registered itself in Association Group 1 for the Device, and also see those devices sending a SCENE_ACTUATOR_CONF (0x2c) event shortly after the ApplicationUpdate (0x49).

Given the DZS15 switches don't have the command-class for Associations listed this may be why they're not going to work with Vera's Z-Wave layer (as it's currently impl)

That said, the way I'm doing this is kinda kludgy so there could also be problems in my methodology 8)

As a pseudo workaround (for instant status), that could be used as a trigger in a controller (when received 'unexpectedly'), to request current state. As is done, for instance, for the GE's. The drawback is presumably that this only works in direct radio range.

Yup, that's what I was thinking.  I didn't realize the GE's already do that.  Range isn't a problem (for me at least) since I have a large antenna attached, and almost all of my nodes are in direct communication with the Primary.

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2014, 03:04:45 pm »
I'm not seeing the HAIL on my Vera-registered Leviton RF+ devices, [...]
Right; as alluded to, I think there's multiple ways, possibly depending on whether the device participates in Z-Wave scenes, possibly firmware, possibly which Vera UI, etc.

I had tried two dimmers in current use: they sent the scene actuator messages. They are also used in Z-Wave scenes / with Leviton controllers. Additionally, I tested a standalone device on a clean test Vera. This was a VRMX1 on Vera3 with UI7 RC. It produces a hail (0x82 0x01), Vera asks for status (0x26 0x02), the VRMX1 reports the status (0x26 0x03). Repeated for a VRP03. Same thing.

My impression always was that the hail mechanism is kind of the old way of doing it, and is inefficient, as any controller would have to go ask for the status / poll the device, as opposed to the device just pushing out the current status to all controllers.

I can see how multiple mechanisms may be (quietly) supported, one may take precedence, etc. It would need further analysis. However, in regard to the DZS15-1LZ, it may not change anything, as it appears Leviton chose to remove/disable certain 2-way functionality, possibly by removing/disabling association support, as you pointed out.

[...] I didn't realize the GE's already do that.
It's been my assumption that the NIF is used as pseudo-hail for the GE's, as I don't know what else is used as trigger for Vera.

So I would think the same mechanism can be used for the Decora Z-Wave devices. Not sure what the trigger is for Vera not currently doing that. (Did you try with poll set to non-zero? Perhaps other info needs changed / can be faked, as Vera currently treats these as 'Leviton', but needs to distinguish between Vizia and Decora?)

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2014, 04:14:52 pm »
@guessed,

So I would think the same mechanism can be used for the Decora Z-Wave devices. Not sure what the trigger is for Vera not currently doing that.
It appears that the key here is the manufacturer ID: if Vera sees Leviton she'll assume instant status and disables said mechanism.

It also turned out that the devices (DZS15 and DZMX1) report being busy directly after a physical button press.

Please give the following product customization file and PLEG a whirl (mutatis mutandis). It will override the manufacturer ID, do its own button press detection and subsequently do a delayed poll (2s for the switch, 3s for the dimmer).

Install the customization file first, do a reload, and verify that the switches now show as being model DZS15 and the dimmers as DZMX1. Then do the PLEG. Take care to insert the proper device IDs in the LUUP. The example is for one switch (devID 17) and one dimmer (devID 16). Do a reload after setting up the PLEG.

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2014, 03:02:39 pm »
oTi@,
I vaguely remember the "BUSY" thing impacting another type of switch, but it was a long time ago, maybe 4-5yrs.  Don't recall what MCV did to get around it at that time.

Attached is a pure-Lua version of the hack, derived from yours but it only needs to be installed/inserted into Vera's startup Lua.  It re-uses your .xml product definitions.

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2014, 03:43:03 pm »
@guessed,

Thanks for looking at the proof of concept.

Thought I'd try new school and do a PLEG for the PoC, but not sure how to generalize that within PLEG, so figured a pure Lua impl would be better overall for a published hack (so now it will attach to all DZS15 and DZMX1 automatically). Thanks for providing the alternate version. 8)

Offline jasonkhonlaw

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2014, 04:43:00 pm »
FYI, a commenter on Amazon said that these do send out Instant Status and that his SmartThings hub recognizes the signals.  It'd be nice if the Vera supported this natively.  I have quite a few of these switches and would like to get them to report instantly.  Did your solution end up working?  I don't really know what to do with the files as I'm pretty new to the Vera and home automation world.  Any chance you could provide some instruction? :-)