We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: KPL LED control - Insteon hard link vs. luup call  (Read 1018 times)

Offline Juggler

KPL LED control - Insteon hard link vs. luup call
« on: August 07, 2014, 10:38:13 pm »
With much help from @PurdueGuy, I have been able to get Altsteon running successfully on my VeraLite. I have an Insteon FanLinc and 6-button KPL-dimmer and have both talking through Altsteon/MiOS through the use of scenes & events. My KPL is setup so that the local-load buttons control the FanLinc's light through an event, and the 4-middle buttons each control 1 fan speed, again through events.

My last task is to try to make the LEDs on the KPL work such that they indicate FanLinc light on/off and FanLinc fan speed (1 of 4 small buttons lit).

My questions is whether it is better to do it with a luup call like
Code: [Select]
luup.call_action("urn:geektaco-info:serviceId:InsteonOptions1", "SetLedIndiv", {newTargetValue = "0",targetButton = "6"}, <DEVICE_ID>)
or will Altsteon/Mios work if I used Indigo to create the "hard" links including toggle buttons for fan speed?

cheers,
 J.

Offline PurdueGuy

Re: KPL LED control - Insteon hard link vs. luup call
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 12:10:12 pm »
Links between devices are almost always better, since they are direct device-to-device, and don't need a controller running.

However, the biggest problem you will run into is when changing the fan speed from Vera. Without code like you mentioned, Vera will update the fan, but have no concept of the KPL buttons.

Since Altsteon needs to know the current state of the KPL buttons to set them, it polls the KPLs every so often for LED state, but it is NOT real time.  Things could get out of sync, but Altsteon will do its best.

I'd suggest a combination of things:
A) use Indigo for creating the links such that pressing any button turns on that button, and turns the others off.
B) create a scene in Vera that is called when the fan speed changes.  Use "SetLedGroup" command to set the 4 buttons as needed.
C) Alsteon will eventually notice the fan speed change, so you don't have to, but you might want a third scene that is called whenever any KPL button is pressed.   That could then query the fan, and see what speed it is.  If it changes, that would trigger B, but things would already be set correctly, so it wouldn't appear to do anything.

This will have the effect of working properly from the KPL buttons directly, and (with a small delay) reflect the correct status when changing from Vera.

More info here on SetLedGroup:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,15248.msg115847.html#msg115847
Vera3, Leviton, Intermatic, SQ Blaster, HomeWave, DSC 1832, Insteon/Altsteon