Author Topic: Nest plugin on UI7: observations and fixes  (Read 35670 times)

Offline watou

Nest plugin on UI7: observations and fixes
« on: August 09, 2014, 01:01:06 am »
Hello,

I think that the current v1.7 of the Nest plugin will fail to start up on UI7 owing to a stupid and minor bug in the plugin.  If the plugin complains that you aren't running the minimum required Vera firmware (1.5.408), please then try to use the attached file by going to Apps -> Develop Apps -> Luup files, uploading the file and choosing Restart after upload (or if this UI has changed in UI7, the equivalent).

I don't expect to be running UI7 as soon as it comes out, so I rely on plugin users to tell me if there are any problems.  Thanks for your help!

Regards,
watou

Offline aaronsquire

Re: Nest plugin on UI7: observations and fixes
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 12:19:40 pm »
Thanks, This made the message go away on my unit. So far so good.
Thanks!

Offline Dpc131

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 01:24:00 pm »
My problem was it wouldn't set my username or password in addition to the above issue. However, it may have not been allowed to run based on the firmware version error. I'm back at ui5 now so I'll have to wait to see what the deal was

Offline hmspain

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 10:53:04 pm »
I'm running UI7 (bleeding edge and all that), saw the version error, and modified the code also to get around it.  The V1.7 Nest app will now set a username and password and polling time, but (so far) no devices created...
VeraPlus, Nest Cameras (6), Siren, Hue Bulbs/Strips/Blooms (65), Fan Dimmer (6), Aeon 4-in-1s (10), Water Sensors (3), Z-Wave Switches (20), Nest Smoke/CO Protects (5), Ecobee 3, HEM Gen2s (2)

Offline davedecali

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 08:27:20 am »
anyone else getting false alarms after the plugin install for CO alarms and Protect.  Smoke in the Kitchen alarms are not much fun at 3 in the morning.

Thanks

David

Offline watou

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 08:33:46 am »
anyone else getting false alarms after the plugin install for CO alarms and Protect.  Smoke in the Kitchen alarms are not much fun at 3 in the morning.

Is this on UI7? Are false positives coming from Vera only or from Nest as well? Please provide more information. I would be astonished to learn of a causal relationship between installing the plugin and false smoke alarms.

Thanks,

Offline davedecali

Re: Nest plugin on UI7: observations and fixe
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 08:41:09 am »
actually on the latest UI5.  False alarms are being sent by the unit itself however the official NEST app  has shown no alerts.  May be a defective unit however these have been installed for well over 6 months with 0 false alarms.  I usually go back to the last thing that has changed when diagnosing false alarms or any other trouble shooting.  Was running 1.6 without issue and upgraded to 1.7 to allow for the addition of 3 PROTECTS into my system however these really aren't needed per say.

Sorry to hijack the thread but knew you would be seeing responses to the recent plugin release of 1.7 here.

I have since uninstalled to see if any false alarms continue and if so I can rule out the recent upgrade as the culprit.

Thanks,

David

Offline hmspain

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 10:01:26 am »
I'm running UI7 (bleeding edge and all that), saw the version error, and modified the code also to get around it.  The V1.7 Nest app will now set a username and password and polling time, but (so far) no devices created...

Thank you watou, I installed the latest I_* file and my nest and protects showed up!  For some strange reason, I can't assign anything to a room... hmmm.
VeraPlus, Nest Cameras (6), Siren, Hue Bulbs/Strips/Blooms (65), Fan Dimmer (6), Aeon 4-in-1s (10), Water Sensors (3), Z-Wave Switches (20), Nest Smoke/CO Protects (5), Ecobee 3, HEM Gen2s (2)

Offline hmspain

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 11:07:59 am »
Also, please take a look at the temperature controls.  You can't seem to make an adjustment because the temperature numbers are not displayed.

Offline hmspain

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 12:43:50 pm »

Thank you watou, I installed the latest I_* file and my nest and protects showed up!  For some strange reason, I can't assign anything to a room... hmmm.

Once I figured out the numbers for each existing room (some by trial and error, some by just checking an existing device that was already in the room), I could go into "Advanced" on each "No Room" device (the room variable will be set to "0" for some reason) and assign it to a room number.  Not quite what Vera wanted (I suspect), but it works.

Offline Frank Houston

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 09:36:56 pm »
It worked for me.

Offline hmspain

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2014, 11:21:34 am »
The UI7 display for Nest smoke sensors shows the "Armed"/"Bypass" switch different than the CO sensor "Armed"/"Bypass".

Is there a way to change the CO sensor look and feel to match the smoke sensor?

Offline watou

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2014, 11:39:58 am »
The UI7 display for Nest smoke sensors shows the "Armed"/"Bypass" switch different than the CO sensor "Armed"/"Bypass".

The smoke sensor device uses the provided device type and JSON file in Vera.  In 1.5.622 (the version I'm using), there is no equivalent built-in device type XML and JSON file for carbon monoxide sensor devices, so I copied the built-in smoke sensor device's XML and JSON files in 1.5.622 to make the device type for the carbon monoxide sensor device. 

It may be that Vera has changed the JSON file in UI7 for the smoke sensor device, making the two devices now appear differently.  Ideally, Vera would provide a built-in device type XML and JSON for carbon monoxide detectors as well as smoke detectors, so that these devices would appear similarly in the UI (after I scrapped the versions I added).  I don't think I can make the two devices look similarly in both UI5 and UI7 simultaneously.  However, you are free to hack your own D_NestCOSensor1.json file so that it more closely mimics the built-in D_SmokeSensor1.json file in UI7.  Or, if UI7 now provides a built-in carbon monoxide sensor XML and JSON file, you could hack the I_Nest1.xml to reference those built-in files instead of the D_NestCOSensor1.* files I provided.  At some point in the future, when most people seem to be using UI7 and UI5 is largely obsoleted, I will most likely change the plugin along these lines.

watou

Offline hmspain

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2014, 12:44:46 pm »

The smoke sensor device uses the provided device type and JSON file in Vera.  In 1.5.622 (the version I'm using), there is no equivalent built-in device type XML and JSON file for carbon monoxide sensor devices, so I copied the built-in smoke sensor device's XML and JSON files in 1.5.622 to make the device type for the carbon monoxide sensor device. 

It may be that Vera has changed the JSON file in UI7 for the smoke sensor device, making the two devices now appear differently.  Ideally, Vera would provide a built-in device type XML and JSON for carbon monoxide detectors as well as smoke detectors, so that these devices would appear similarly in the UI (after I scrapped the versions I added).  I don't think I can make the two devices look similarly in both UI5 and UI7 simultaneously.  However, you are free to hack your own D_NestCOSensor1.json file so that it more closely mimics the built-in D_SmokeSensor1.json file in UI7.  Or, if UI7 now provides a built-in carbon monoxide sensor XML and JSON file, you could hack the I_Nest1.xml to reference those built-in files instead of the D_NestCOSensor1.* files I provided.  At some point in the future, when most people seem to be using UI7 and UI5 is largely obsoleted, I will most likely change the plugin along these lines.

watou

Thank you watou, your support on this app is greatly appreciated!

Offline aschwalb

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2014, 04:38:56 pm »
Just installed plug-in on UI7 and added the patch file.  It never creates the devices so there is no way to add username and password.  I did not have this installed prior to UI7 upgrade.

Thanks

Andy