Author Topic: Nest plugin on UI7: observations and fixes  (Read 35291 times)

Offline watou

Re: Nest plugin on UI7: observations and fixes
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2014, 05:02:18 pm »
Just installed plug-in on UI7 and added the patch file.  It never creates the devices so there is no way to add username and password.  I did not have this installed prior to UI7 upgrade.

Thanks

Andy
I suspect the version checking bug tripped up the phase where the plugin installation should have created the initial parent device.  I am out of position to list the steps to manually create the main Nest device but maybe someone here could provide those steps?

Offline hmspain

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2014, 03:48:35 pm »
Just installed plug-in on UI7 and added the patch file.  It never creates the devices so there is no way to add username and password.  I did not have this installed prior to UI7 upgrade.

Thanks

Andy

Hmmm.  It won't create the Thermostat/Protect devices *until* you enter your Nest username and password into the first simple "Nest" device (no parent).  It then logs into nest.com and determines what you have.  Are you saying that NO initial "Nest" device was created?  Check the Nest app to see if a device number was used...
VeraPlus, Nest Cameras (6), Siren, Hue Bulbs/Strips/Blooms (65), Fan Dimmer (6), Aeon 4-in-1s (10), Water Sensors (3), Z-Wave Switches (20), Nest Smoke/CO Protects (5), Ecobee 3, HEM Gen2s (2)

Offline charettepa

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2014, 05:36:22 pm »

Thanks

Andy

just got my second vera today for ui7 testing
nest installed just fine for me
i have all devices on screen and working (including protect)

the temp sliders are a little buggy but it works

Offline hmspain

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2014, 06:39:33 pm »

Thanks

Andy

just got my second vera today for ui7 testing
nest installed just fine for me
i have all devices on screen and working (including protect)

the temp sliders are a little buggy but it works

Please share how you got the Nest temperature sliders to work under UI7.  Mine just shows sliders with no "Heat" or "Cool" labels or temperatures.
VeraPlus, Nest Cameras (6), Siren, Hue Bulbs/Strips/Blooms (65), Fan Dimmer (6), Aeon 4-in-1s (10), Water Sensors (3), Z-Wave Switches (20), Nest Smoke/CO Protects (5), Ecobee 3, HEM Gen2s (2)

Offline charettepa

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2014, 06:56:52 pm »
make sure your precision scale is 1 and not 5 or 10
also the label heat cool is not there
heat on left cool on right
it does work
but as previously noted the sliders are buggy
clicking on the right arrow gives the settings menu
selecting the control tab gives the plugin displayed ui5 style
it functions a bit better

Offline watou

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2014, 07:30:16 pm »
To the folks who are seeing problems on UI7, please report problems you think are UI7-related to Vera (as well as here or wherever else you want) so that they know there are problems with plugins that work fine on UI5.  It would be good to know with certainty if Vera requires that plugins that work correctly on UI5 need changes to work properly for UI7.  I presently have no information about UI7.

watou

Offline MNB

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2014, 05:08:09 pm »
OK its been sometime since I've converted to a new update (UI7)... but by my reckoning it always seems to have a few snafu's and NEST app is this updates winner. Don't get me wrong using NEST with UI5 worked great. The conversion went relatively well, I got the version error message and instead of reading this post, I attempted to delete my app and re-installed, it got rid of my Nest device(s) but when i re-installed the app I did not get any devices created and/or some means to insert a UserID/Password. Help....  ::) I even when back to delete and re-install but now I'm unable to delete the app even after it responded with "Uninstalled" message, any Help would be greatly appreciated to get me back to a state where I can insert my NEST userID and password. Mike

PS am I missing something in the first post it implies that there is an attachment, I see the paperclip but am unable to download... I know clueless ;D never mind on the PS it helps to login, other wise no attachments
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 05:10:52 pm by MNB »
Edge-1.7.2607, VRI06-1LX Dimr (6), VS05-1LX Sw (4), GE ZW3002 Dimr (1), HA01C Outlet (12), HA02C Sw (6), HA04C Sw (4), GE Sw (2), HA05 Sw (3), MiniMote Contr (5), HSM200/100 Sensor (2), ZW100A Sensor (8), Nest thermostat (1) & Protect Fire/CO (6) Kwikset Locks (3), F18918W (1) & IP3M-9 (6) Cam's

Offline charettepa

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2014, 05:37:35 pm »
OK its been sometime since I've converted to a new update (UI7)... but by my reckoning it always seems to have a few snafu's and NEST app is this updates winner. Don't get me wrong using NEST with UI5 worked great. The conversion went relatively well, I got the version error message and instead of reading this post, I attempted to delete my app and re-installed, it got rid of my Nest device(s) but when i re-installed the app I did not get any devices created and/or some means to insert a UserID/Password. Help....  ::) I even when back to delete and re-install but now I'm unable to delete the app even after it responded with "Uninstalled" message, any Help would be greatly appreciated to get me back to a state where I can insert my NEST userID and password. Mike

PS am I missing something in the first post it implies that there is an attachment, I see the paperclip but am unable to download... I know clueless ;D never mind on the PS it helps to login, other wise no attachments

i initially had the same issue
you have another app that has a failing lua script and is trying to load before the nest has time to perform its initial steps
in my case it was onkyo app
removing the onkyo app allowed other lua startup and first time use scripts to run
i was then able to log in to nest

Offline watou

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2014, 06:31:50 pm »

I believe the issue here is that, when there are no existing Nest devices and the 1.7 plugin is installed on the current UI7, the check for minimum version fails (due to a plugin bug), and this stops the process of automatically creating the main, parent device.  So then you can add the I_Nest1.xml file I attached earlier to get past the minimum-version-check-bug, but by this time the automatic creation of the parent device is not going to happen automatically.  Therefore, at this point you would need to manually create the main, parent device, enter your nest.com login credentials, and it should create all the child devices thereafter.

Here are the manual steps I referred to in a previous post, but did not have the time to offer and no one else offered.  (These are for UI5 but might apply to UI7; I don't know if they match exactly because I'm not running UI7.)

Go to Apps -> Develop Apps -> Create device.

Enter values for the following fields:

Device type:  urn:schemas-watou-com:device:Nest:1
Description: nest.com (or whatever you want)
Upnp device filename: D_Nest1.xml
Upnp implementation filename: I_Nest1.xml

Press the Create device button.
When the device with the big "n" appears, enter your nest.com username and password on its Settings tab.

This ought to get you past this issue.  I will put a new version of the plugin submitted to the app store soon; but I was hoping to get a full rundown and explanation of UI7 issues before doing so.  I might have to abandon that objective if people continue to have trouble even getting the plugin up and running on UI7.

watou

Offline MNB

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2014, 06:10:22 pm »
Watou,
Thanxs for the come-back. your procedures to create a device is the same for UI7. I uploaded your new file and successfully created a NEST device (confirmation via Luup System Information app - see below). The problem that I'm still encountering is that I'm not getting any request for UserID and Password any help in invoking it would be greatly appreciated. Mike

Description   ID   Room   Cat   Device type                                          Parent   IP   MAC   altid     Embedded   Hidden   Invisible   UDN
nest.com           191   0           0   urn:schemas-watou-com:device:Nest:1   0                                    false            false       false          nil

I guess patients is a virtue... I finally got a message in the a userid and password is required. I went to the nest device I created and it inputted within the settings tab my user id pressed set and then enter password followed by set. after a few moments a thermostat was finally created. again Watou thanks for a great app. Mike
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 06:31:29 pm by MNB »
Edge-1.7.2607, VRI06-1LX Dimr (6), VS05-1LX Sw (4), GE ZW3002 Dimr (1), HA01C Outlet (12), HA02C Sw (6), HA04C Sw (4), GE Sw (2), HA05 Sw (3), MiniMote Contr (5), HSM200/100 Sensor (2), ZW100A Sensor (8), Nest thermostat (1) & Protect Fire/CO (6) Kwikset Locks (3), F18918W (1) & IP3M-9 (6) Cam's

Offline MNB

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2014, 07:50:14 pm »
I successfully created the following devices after creating the initial Nest1 device; NestThermostat (with no current temperature read out), NestHumidstat, SmokeSensor, and COSensor. Any clues as to how one gets the themostat to show current temp? Mike

Offline watou

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2014, 12:48:37 am »
I successfully created the following devices after creating the initial Nest1 device; NestThermostat (with no current temperature read out), NestHumidstat, SmokeSensor, and COSensor. Any clues as to how one gets the themostat to show current temp? Mike
On UI5, sometimes a reload followed by a browser refresh will clear up device display issues after device creation. Please let us know if that helps, or if anything else did.  I have no access to a UI7 system to assist.

Regards,

Offline davedecali

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2014, 12:35:24 pm »
Just wanted to follow up with an earlier post on what I believed were false alarms created by the Nest app were indeed not related.  It is a known hardware issue with the smoke sensor (failing, dirty, etc) that will create this false alarm of smoke in Kitchen alarm/"heads up" as it only showed the yellow ring.  Nest is replacing 2 of 3 protects at no charge and we will see where it goes from there.

Ps... there is a $33 rebate per protect out there if you qualify.  I would suggest googling Nest Protect rebate to see if my fellow users qualify.

Now to attempt the UI5 to UI7 upgrade, not sure I am there yet.

Offline guessed

• Master Member
  • Release compat is not a bolted-on afterthought
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2014, 12:43:50 pm »
Ps... there is a $33 rebate per protect out there if you qualify.  I would suggest googling Nest Protect rebate to see if my fellow users qualify.

Thanks for the pointer!  I have 6 of them ;)

Offline watou

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2014, 01:13:32 pm »

Like @guessed said, thanks a lot!  Excellent news to receive credit back from Nest for the Protect feature subtraction.  Sound of them to offer it.

watou