Author Topic: Nest plugin on UI7: observations and fixes  (Read 35302 times)

Offline CudaNet

• Chimichanga !
Re: Nest plugin on UI7: observations and fixes
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2014, 01:22:53 pm »
@davedecali

Kudos for the heads up, funny how Nest never contacted any of directly about this... I have a whole house full of these things, felt good reaching into Google's wallet...
openLuup, AltUI, Zway and HomeWave, enough said...

Offline charettepa

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2014, 07:15:45 pm »
Just wanted to follow up with an earlier post on what I believed were false alarms created by the Nest app were indeed not related.  It is a known hardware issue with the smoke sensor (failing, dirty, etc) that will create this false alarm of smoke in Kitchen alarm/"heads up" as it only showed the yellow ring.  Nest is replacing 2 of 3 protects at no charge and we will see where it goes from there.

Ps... there is a $33 rebate per protect out there if you qualify.  I would suggest googling Nest Protect rebate to see if my fellow users qualify.

Now to attempt the UI5 to UI7 upgrade, not sure I am there yet.

they have already replaced my protect 2x for false alarms
i received 5 false alarms today while at work
they are now issuing a full refund and sending a return box to send them back their POS
with the refund i will buy 3 smoke detectors for my DSC alarm pannel
i will still have full vera integration to my smoke alarms

their thermostat is still very good
no issues there

« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 07:19:07 pm by charettepa »

Offline davedecali

« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2014, 12:49:59 pm »
Glad to help some peeps out :)

I mean we already know where that rebate Visa card is getting spent. (Never can have too many sensors, am I right?)

I hope I don't have to go the route of full refunds, but as my dad said... they are in full damage control mode at this point.

Offline charettepa

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2014, 05:47:57 pm »
Glad to help some peeps out :)

I mean we already know where that rebate Visa card is getting spent. (Never can have too many sensors, am I right?)

I hope I don't have to go the route of full refunds, but as my dad said... they are in full damage control mode at this point.

ya they are very nice looking units
its just that after 3 failed units
the latest one is 1 week old and has had uncountable false alarms
you just dont trust it anymore

my 2 standard garisson units work perfectly
so its not the environment

Offline ceweiss

« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2014, 01:34:20 pm »
I just got a VeraLite, and after installing the Nest plugin, and updating the .xml file, I was able to get it to see my 2 Nest Thermostats.
It now shows 5 nest devices.
1- Nest, with no controls
1- Nest, with Home and Away
2- Nest(Location), with standard thermostat controls, but no labels on sliders, and no temp readout.
2- Nest(Location) Humidity, with humidity readings.

Questions:
1. Do I need the first device?
2. I can't see the Home and Away device in the "Configure my preset modes" screen. Is there anything I can do to get it to show up?
3. Is there anything I can do to get the current temperature to show up?

Since I am new to Vera, I don't know if these are related to the new UI, or just basic configurations.
Thanks for all your work on the plugin!

Offline charettepa

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2014, 05:17:55 pm »
I just got a VeraLite, and after installing the Nest plugin, and updating the .xml file, I was able to get it to see my 2 Nest Thermostats.
2- Nest(Location), with standard thermostat controls, but no labels on sliders, and no temp readout.

Questions:
2. I can't see the Home and Away device in the "Configure my preset modes" screen. Is there anything I can do to get it to show up?

Since I am new to Vera, I don't know if these are related to the new UI, or just basic configurations.

yes you need this
it is the main application
i have created a room called "ZZZ Apps" for similar devices
this way its at the bottom of the list and out of the way

Offline watou

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2014, 05:42:25 pm »

Questions:

You're welcome!

@charettepa answered the first question.  That device is dedicated to the connection from your Vera to nest.com, but it can be moved out of view as @charettepa said.

2. I don't know what the "Configure my preset modes" screen is.  I am still at UI5.  Has UI7 been officially released yet?

3. This appears to be related to a change in the firmware version you are using compared to UI5.  I was told just today that the Vera folks are working on plugin documentation that will describe what changes are needed to plugins that worked on UI5 and don't work properly on UI7.  I do not have time to attempt to reverse-engineer the differences, so I am forced to wait for the official documentation on how to make a plugin work on UI7.

Do you have an option to use UI5 until the incompatibilities are resolved?

Regards,
watou

Offline Emf42783

« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2014, 01:15:47 am »
I was notified today to upgrade to UI7, so it must have been released to the general public.  After upgrading, I had the same error that was initially reported on this discussion.  I uploaded the xml file provided and that allowed me to enter my username and password.

Attached is a screenshot of the Nest Plugin from UI7.

Offline charettepa

« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2014, 06:49:17 pm »
I was notified today to upgrade to UI7, so it must have been released to the general public.  After upgrading, I had the same error that was initially reported on this discussion.  I uploaded the xml file provided and that allowed me to enter my username and password.

not seeing current temp is only an issue in the ui7 webpage, directly
which is rarely used
if you click on settings of nest
then go to control
you will see it

also in the mobile app
for instance authomation hd
everything displays properly and controls properly too

Offline watou

« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2014, 01:43:22 am »

I had no idea until your screenshot, just how poor the Nest plugin looks under UI7 (not a criticism of Vera or UI7, just noting the major changes they must have implemented in the user interface layer).  I sure hope I am given official documentation soon on how to adjust the plugin so that it can show the same as it does under UI5 (correct icons, current running state, temperature, setpoint values, etc.).  I am unable to run UI7 either, as my production UI5 unit can't be disturbed for some time.  So I suppose I will need documentation and a UI7 Vera unit... :)

Regards,
watou
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 02:02:30 am by watou »

Offline ceweiss

« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2014, 03:31:35 pm »
UI7 was installed on mine before I logged into it for the first time. I assume it is an automatic update when the device is first plugged in. Since I am just getting started, it will be a little while before I really need to control the AC. I think I will just wait a little while, and hope they publish the UI changes soon. Thanks again!

Offline criple15

« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2014, 08:43:35 pm »
Thanks, installed but on the favorite device page it does not post current temperature and the faders show idol, but when you go to Control it does show minimum and maximum temperature settings but still no current temperature.

The faders do actually change the min/max temperature when pushed and pulled to what temp it states but if you go to control it does not update the main device page. If you change the control temps to make warmer, the temp shoots straight to 100 and glitches out and jumps all over. Three tries and it finally settles to what you programed finally.

Phone app wise, you cannot change the temperature and there is an off, cold, hot setting but no auto. The home/away feature incorrectly duplicates as a thermostat unit, unlike the web gateway which shows as an on/off switch.

I know some of this is redundant to the other post, just confirming issues. :)

Offline mgb333

« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2014, 12:15:51 am »
is the app creator aware of the nest ui7 problems?  is there an expected date to have these corrected?  my nest worked just great with ui5, but after the upgrade to ui7, same issues with version conflict etc.

Offline watou

« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2014, 12:44:57 am »
Thanks, installed but on the favorite device page it does not post current temperature and the faders show idol, but when you go to Control it does show minimum and maximum temperature settings but still no current temperature.

The faders do actually change the min/max temperature when pushed and pulled to what temp it states but if you go to control it does not update the main device page. If you change the control temps to make warmer, the temp shoots straight to 100 and glitches out and jumps all over. Three tries and it finally settles to what you programed finally.

Phone app wise, you cannot change the temperature and there is an off, cold, hot setting but no auto. The home/away feature incorrectly duplicates as a thermostat unit, unlike the web gateway which shows as an on/off switch.

I know some of this is redundant to the other post, just confirming issues. :)

Thank you very much for the detailed rundown of UI7 issues for the Nest plugin.  I am awaiting documentation regarding what code changes will be required for the plugin to work under UI7.  I presently have no visibility into any timelines or roadmaps, and don't have a Vera unit on which I can run UI7.  I can only assume that the ongoing broken state of Nest support in UI7 is of concern to the Vera folks.

watou

Offline SJMarty

« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2014, 09:34:41 pm »
Hello,

I have a brand new Vera3 (had it for one day).  It shipped with firmware v1.7.318.  I am evaluating the V3 to hopefully replace my existing X10 installation.  I only have one Leviton lamp module.  I do have a single Nest thermostat so I definitely wanted to use this app.  So, I installed the Nest app on my V3 prior to reading this thread.  I'm in the position where I can try anything watou to assist in troubleshoting the app w/UI7.

Right now, here is what things look like...

I have the "Nest : Version 1.5.408 minimum required to run" banner stuck at the top of the browser screen.
The Nest is listed under devices but if I try to input anything in "Settings", pressing "Set" results in a "ERROR: Device not ready" banner.

Please let me know how you'd like me to proceed and I'll be glad to help!

-Steve
Vera3 (UI7) | Amazon Echo