Author Topic: Nest plugin on UI7: observations and fixes  (Read 32874 times)

Offline swfire271

Re: Nest plugin on UI7: observations and fixes
« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2014, 08:34:03 am »
This makes me sad  :'(

Offline watou

« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2014, 08:41:03 am »
This makes me sad  :'(

Me too.  It seems, and I could be wrong, that the ability to affect the UI changed from UI5 to UI7, where much of the JSON for various device types in user-supplied plugins is now ignored in UI7, which means the plugin developer no longer has the ability to affect the UI appearance as s/he did in UI5.  It therefore makes it a pointless exercise for a plugin developer to attempt to control device UI in UI7.  I find this very unfortunate, and I hope that the Vera folks make a major course correction.

I checked my abandoned changes into Github anyway, but I don't think that I can support UI issues on UI7 because, well, it's not possible to fix the problems any more. (If anyone has hard facts to rebut my understanding, I would love to hear them, but I interpret my support reply to mean exactly this.)

watou

Offline magnum

« Reply #77 on: November 14, 2014, 12:34:11 pm »
Hi Im a newbee, question on my nest running on the latest UI, running on chrome or on the ipad, nest interface works fine, no issues on the functionality, however on the dashboard, doesnot show the current temperture on the dashboard...   Any thoughts

Offline watou

« Reply #78 on: November 15, 2014, 08:03:21 pm »
Hi Im a newbee, question on my nest running on the latest UI, running on chrome or on the ipad, nest interface works fine, no issues on the functionality, however on the dashboard, doesnot show the current temperture on the dashboard...   Any thoughts
I was told, in so many words, that this is how it is in UI7, and there is nothing I can do about it as a plugin developer aside from creating entire new special devices just to work around it, which frankly strikes me as...well, never mind.

So please tell the Vera folks what you think about this vs. UI5. I think it's the only way Nest has any real future on Vera.

Thanks,

watou

Offline watou

« Reply #79 on: November 15, 2014, 08:04:02 pm »
I was told, in so many words, that this is how it is in UI7, and there is nothing I can do about it as a plugin developer aside from creating entire new special devices just to work around it, which frankly strikes me as...well, never mind.

So please tell the Vera folks what you think about this vs. UI5. I think it's the only way Nest has any real future on Vera.

Thanks,

watou

Offline RoChess

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #80 on: November 24, 2014, 12:07:29 pm »

I never got to experience the Nest on UI5, so can you please expand on the comparison below? This will make it easier to complain to Vera support then as to what they have to do to make your plugin work.
  • Vera3 firmware v1.7.439
  • Nest thermostat v4.3.3 (only driving 'Heat' via R+W wires)

UI7 things that work:
  • Browser control to adjust Nest temperature inside 'devices', and 'dashboard'
  • Scene control of Home/Away mode

UI7 fails:
  • Scene control of temperature
  • Android Vera UI7 app visuals, and control of Nest plugin inside 'devices', or 'dashboard'

UI7 aspects that could use improvements:
  • Fix generic Z-Wave icons under 'devices', and 'dashboard' (I guess you worked on this, but then abandoned it)

Did not have a lot of time yet to try different combinations. During my attempts to get the Nest plugin to have scene control of the temperatures; my Nest thermostat changed from 'Heat' only into 'Heat+Cooling' mode, at which point I gave up, and settled on just Home/Away control.

Offline watou

« Reply #81 on: November 24, 2014, 03:11:51 pm »

I never got to experience the Nest on UI5, so can you please expand on the comparison below? This will make it easier to complain to Vera support then as to what they have to do to make your plugin work.
  • Vera3 firmware v1.7.439
  • Nest thermostat v4.3.3 (only driving 'Heat' via R+W wires)

UI7 things that work:
  • Browser control to adjust Nest temperature inside 'devices', and 'dashboard'
  • Scene control of Home/Away mode

UI7 fails:
  • Scene control of temperature
  • Android Vera UI7 app visuals, and control of Nest plugin inside 'devices', or 'dashboard'

UI7 aspects that could use improvements:
  • Fix generic Z-Wave icons under 'devices', and 'dashboard' (I guess you worked on this, but then abandoned it)

Did not have a lot of time yet to try different combinations. During my attempts to get the Nest plugin to have scene control of the temperatures; my Nest thermostat changed from 'Heat' only into 'Heat+Cooling' mode, at which point I gave up, and settled on just Home/Away control.
I'm going to try another shot at an update to the Nest plugin for UI7, but I was told that there will be a documentation update that will explain what I'm supposed to do in the areas that I will have control over. I hope to have something to report soon, but I am somewhat dependent on new documentation being published first.

watou

Offline RoChess

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #82 on: November 24, 2014, 03:21:51 pm »
I'm going to try another shot at an update to the Nest plugin for UI7, but I was told that there will be a documentation update that will explain what I'm supposed to do in the areas that I will have control over. I hope to have something to report soon, but I am somewhat dependent on new documentation being published first.

Thank you.

If you need any testers, let me know.

Been busy with work so have not had the time yet to look at any Vera3 developer docs to allow me to modify your plugin for my 'Heat' only setup, but testing I can do.

Offline swfire271

« Reply #83 on: November 29, 2014, 12:31:28 pm »
Thanks for the continued effort with the Nest app.  I hope this gets figured out.  I would love to be able to set my Nest to 'away' when I switch ui7 to 'away', and vice versa for 'home'.  Hopefully they get this all worked out.  Having just got my vera 3 a month or two ago now, I am sure having to be patient while all these bugs get worked out, etc. 

And I too would be willing to beta-test or help out wherever I can.  As I said above, I have a vera 3 running ui7. 

Offline hmspain

« Reply #84 on: November 29, 2014, 02:53:18 pm »
Thanks for the continued effort with the Nest app.  I hope this gets figured out.  I would love to be able to set my Nest to 'away' when I switch ui7 to 'away', and vice versa for 'home'.  Hopefully they get this all worked out.  Having just got my vera 3 a month or two ago now, I am sure having to be patient while all these bugs get worked out, etc. 

And I too would be willing to beta-test or help out wherever I can.  As I said above, I have a vera 3 running ui7.

Puzzled here; I'm running UI7 and set Home and Away just fine :-).  Actually Home/Away is the only thing I allow Vera to control.  The scheduling is done by Nest :-).
VeraPlus (1); Cameras (6), Sirens (2), Hue Bulbs/Strips/Blooms (42), Fan Dimmer (6), Aeon 4-in-1s (10), Water Sensors (3), Z-Wave Switches (20), Nest Smoke/CO Protects (5), Nest Thermostat Gen3 (1), HEM Gen2s (2)

Offline swfire271

« Reply #85 on: November 29, 2014, 03:04:08 pm »

Puzzled here; I'm running UI7 and set Home and Away just fine :-).  Actually Home/Away is the only thing I allow Vera to control.  The scheduling is done by Nest :-).

I can set away/home in the Nest Device tab itself....but when you go to 'My Modes' (from dashboard) and change the settings for Home/Away/Night/Vacation, you can't change the Nest itself to home or away mode.  Only options I get for Nest are No Change/Off/Heat/Cool.  Does this make sense?

Offline RoChess

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #86 on: November 29, 2014, 04:53:27 pm »
I can set away/home in the Nest Device tab itself....but when you go to 'My Modes' (from dashboard) and change the settings for Home/Away/Night/Vacation, you can't change the Nest itself to home or away mode.  Only options I get for Nest are No Change/Off/Heat/Cool.  Does this make sense?

Use the "HouseModes Plugin" for scene control of the Nest.

Create scene with Device Trigger = "Night" and then Nest -> Away  (and others as you see fit)

Switching to 'Night' then inside Vera UI7 browser or android app turns my Nest immediatly in away mode (always impressed at the speed, as it does it in less then a second for me after some tweaks)

Offline hmspain

« Reply #87 on: November 29, 2014, 05:09:25 pm »

That's the difference; I don't use modes.  I have not found a really good use for modes vs simple scenes...
VeraPlus (1); Cameras (6), Sirens (2), Hue Bulbs/Strips/Blooms (42), Fan Dimmer (6), Aeon 4-in-1s (10), Water Sensors (3), Z-Wave Switches (20), Nest Smoke/CO Protects (5), Nest Thermostat Gen3 (1), HEM Gen2s (2)

Offline Outcomer

« Reply #88 on: December 20, 2014, 03:21:14 pm »
So after reinstalling the plugin with UI7, I can't get anything to load up.  Still says the generic error of "Nest : Failed to login: nil".

Prior to UI7 I could do many things:

-Set home/away mode with a scene
-Control a scene with temperature change (i.e. if I turn the heat up, have my vaulted ceiling fan turn on to increase downward airflow).

Now, it seems after reading through these posts that none of this is working.  Is that true still?

Offline hmspain

« Reply #89 on: December 20, 2014, 05:04:43 pm »
So after reinstalling the plugin with UI7, I can't get anything to load up.  Still says the generic error of "Nest : Failed to login: nil".

Prior to UI7 I could do many things:

-Set home/away mode with a scene
-Control a scene with temperature change (i.e. if I turn the heat up, have my vaulted ceiling fan turn on to increase downward airflow).

Now, it seems after reading through these posts that none of this is working.  Is that true still?

I would take the login error as the root of your problem.  I'm not sure when/where I entered my credentials (I checked all my Nest app settings and could not find any login credentials), I suspect my credentials were entered a long time ago when I installed the app.

I suspect you have to uninstall (again, sorry), make sure no nest files are still on your Vera (Apps -> Develop apps -> Luup files), re-install and I would expect it to prompt you for login username and password to the nest.com site.

Test your nest.com login credentials carefully before entering them into the Vera app.