We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: UI7 - comments and observations  (Read 15997 times)

Offline dominoman

Re: UI7 - comments and observations
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2014, 03:53:56 am »

Oh god no!!!
Give us options to DO what we want our HA solution to do...I dont want to be told how i can switch my lights on or off!!
The greatest feature of Vera right now is its ability to be customised ( helped largely via plugins! )
If you want a Apple like solution you should have chosen Fibaro....

Hear hear!  I want a HA system that allows me to customise and is flexible and open.  Open to manufacturers, the dev community and to hobbyists!

The main Vera UI just needs to be well thought through and intuitive, but shouldn't try and hide all complexity.  Third party can do that and that way people can choose the skin that works for them.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 06:33:32 am by dominoman »

Offline Don Diego

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2014, 05:31:47 am »
Worst firmware update ever. A lot of my settings were reversed, and I keep getting notifications everytime a D/W sensor is tripped which indicates a low battery warning. I can't find out how to delete the notification, thus I have turned off my controller as it is really annoying getting notifications everytime a door opens. I don't like the User Interface at all, seems like they went backwards by using the same type of UI as before in their earlier versions. The advanced UI was so much simpler to use and graphically appealing.

I am so frustrated that I tried the update and I am kicking myself that I did not stay with UI6. I am going to try to downgrade to UI5 or UI6 and probably start back from scratch as I do not trust what was backed up.

My suggestion to anyone thinking of upgrading would be to NOT DO IT AT ALL. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Hi--

When you say "Worse update ever.." did you consider the UI3->UI4 update experience??

Don
Vera 3 (@1.5.622) (3); Vera Plus (2);
Trane/Schlage TStats (1); Schlage Deadbolt (2); Kwikset Lock (3);  GE 45602 Dimmer (14); GE 45603 Dimmer (17); HSM-100 (16); Everspring Siren (8), Everspring Temp/Humidity (4); HSM 200 (1)

Offline Trey T

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2014, 12:12:06 pm »
Anybody use UI7 7.0.1 on Vera 3 yet? How is it?

Offline GT!

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2014, 02:21:58 pm »
Is there any way of changing the email alerts? I hate all the graphics (embedded and links), but even worse is the fact they do not render properly on an iPhone - the message body is blank.  Since the subject doesn't indicate what the alert is for you therefore have no idea why you are receiving the alert.  I don't know how Micasaverde could release UI7 with such a problem!

Offline dominoman

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2014, 05:51:29 am »
I don't know how Micasaverde could release UI7 with such a problem!

I agree.  Other companies are transparent and release their beta versions to volunteers.  There is never a shortage of people willing to test new versions and provide feedback to the developers.  But to force a beta release (and from the problems I had even calling it a beta release is generous) on every user in the way Vera did is really wrong.

I personally feel quite aggrieved.  The first two weeks of having my Vera I couldn't do anything, because it was forcibly being upgraded to UI7 whatever I did.  It took Mark's help (from Vesternet) before I could finally get it back to UI5 and working - but by then I had wasted 20+ hours of my life.

Come on Vera.  Don't force bug-filled beta versions on people who just want a working, stable platform.

Offline clippermiami

« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2014, 03:45:17 pm »
I've installed the latest update on a spare Vera Lite and things seem to be much better than even a month ago. i have not converted my production systems to UI7 and probably wont until there is no alternative.

Aside from the bugs and missing items that appear to be being addressed fairly quickly my primary observation about this user interface is that it is extremely wasteful of screen real estate, especially compared to the tiles of UI5. I suppose a new user just starting in Vera who came in with UI7 wouldn't notice but for someone who has used both interfaces the "sparse whitespace" layout of UI7 is wasteful. It maybe more "artsy" and open but compared to UI5 i find it irritating.

Two Vera Plus UI7 Linked via HTTP, 90+ Devices. PlugIns: PLEG, DSC, Blue Iris, MySensors,  AutoVera, ImperiHome, VeraAlerts, EventWatcher

Offline twistedsanity

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2014, 04:10:01 pm »
I tried it last night, and couldn't even last the evening. Yes it is modern looking and most things seemed to function well, but the whole interface is not very intuitive compared to UI5 and so wasteful with screen real estate.

The main reason why I downgraded straight away was the complete lack of notification configuration. There was a limited/almost non existent way to fully customize notifications. Even veraalerts can't quite cope with it :( Once that side is fixed, I will probably give it another go.

Offline svaleb

« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2014, 04:15:15 pm »
I've installed the latest update on a spare Vera Lite and things seem to be much better than even a month ago. i have not converted my production systems to UI7 and probably wont until there is no alternative.

Aside from the bugs and missing items that appear to be being addressed fairly quickly my primary observation about this user interface is that it is extremely wasteful of screen real estate, especially compared to the tiles of UI5. I suppose a new user just starting in Vera who came in with UI7 wouldn't notice but for someone who has used both interfaces the "sparse whitespace" layout of UI7 is wasteful. It maybe more "artsy" and open but compared to UI5 i find it irritating.

I quite agree. UI7 is a step backwards. Too mutch scrolling and clikking and no overwiew.Irritating !

Offline chuck1026

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2014, 08:27:24 pm »
I spent hours... days trying to upgrade from UI5 to UI7. Not even tech support could bring my existing zwave network forward. I decided to do a raw UI7 install and rebuild all of my device names, scenes and rooms. After two days of that my UI7 crashed. I give up. UI7 is epic fail. I restored to UI5 and an disgusted with Vera... Gonna take some serious azz kissing o keep me once my Vera 3 is outdated... Frustrated :(
UI7 / VeraPlus.... YAY, more stable than ever!

Offline Grwebster

« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2014, 06:59:08 pm »
It seems that most people using ui5 had issues with the upgrade.  I had a simple ui6 system an although there were some issues, it was not a big deal to fix it.  The issue that I have with ui7 is that it removed functionality and gave nothing much in terms of new functionality for established users.  The scene creation is more intuitive for new users, but that does not help existing users.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline chuck1026

« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2014, 08:01:02 pm »
I have to believe the big issue is Vera3 is short on memory for UI7 when you have a decent sized network and a dozen or so plug ins... Mine worked until I had added back about 2/3 of my scenes and plug ins then she locked up solid :( .

Offline hmspain

« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2014, 11:01:05 am »

I quite agree. UI7 is a step backwards. Too mutch scrolling and clikking and no overwiew.Irritating !

Find the "Home" and "End" keys on your keyboard; they remove at least some of the frustration :-).
VeraPlus, Nest Cameras (6), Siren, Hue Bulbs/Strips/Blooms (65), Fan Dimmer (6), Aeon 4-in-1s (10), Water Sensors (3), Z-Wave Switches (20), Nest Smoke/CO Protects (5), Ecobee 3, HEM Gen2s (2)

Offline AndreasE

« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2014, 02:52:11 pm »
So I decided to upgrade from UI5. Got an error message that told me that download failed. Not only did the download fail, the upgrade process made my Vera lose all devices and plugins. Tried to upgrade once again with success, but all my devices and plugins was nowhere to be found.  >:(

Offline hmspain

« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2014, 05:57:48 pm »
So I decided to upgrade from UI5. Got an error message that told me that download failed. Not only did the download fail, the upgrade process made my Vera lose all devices and plugins. Tried to upgrade once again with success, but all my devices and plugins was nowhere to be found.  >:(

Ouch... I got nothing... Due to the extreme low performance of UI7, I was thinking of going back... til now!
VeraPlus, Nest Cameras (6), Siren, Hue Bulbs/Strips/Blooms (65), Fan Dimmer (6), Aeon 4-in-1s (10), Water Sensors (3), Z-Wave Switches (20), Nest Smoke/CO Protects (5), Ecobee 3, HEM Gen2s (2)

Offline chuck1026

« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2014, 06:27:10 pm »

I had the same thing happen. After two weeks od interaction with tech support and trying different things thhe conclusion was that some of my plugins must be incompatible with UI7. Okay, I would buy that if the same problem didn't happen when I tried to upgrade from UI5 to UI6!

Running UI5 for now.