We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Bedroom lamp  (Read 1224 times)

Offline jquincy

Bedroom lamp
« on: August 28, 2014, 11:58:13 am »
I would like to have my bedroom lamp go on at sunset and then I would like to be able to turn it off when I get into bed. I do not want to physically turn off the light since it would then not come on the next day. Is it possible to use a simple plug in Z wave switch and plug the lamp into it and then get a remote to turn off the light? If so what remote would you recommend? I would then just set up a scene for the lamp to come on every day at sunset.

Offline tomgru

Re: Bedroom lamp
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 12:03:24 pm »
I used a minimote for this. Works great....

Offline jquincy

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 01:35:22 pm »
Thought that would be best avenue but wasn't sure
Thanks

Offline mbairhead

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 01:43:38 pm »
I can make this much more complicated for you  ;D You could use iBeacons or NFC if you use your phone as an alarm already. I have iBeacons in our bedroom that start a 15 minute count down timer to shut the house down (lights/locks etc.) at night and then in the morning turns on hall lights and adjusts temp. It's much harder than a remote but also much more automated and expandable.

Offline tdinardo

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 07:25:25 pm »
Depending on what switches you use, you can associate an accessory switch in a desktop mount with the wall outlet to accomplish this too. I have done this and the minimote option and they both work fine.

Offline Katmai

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 04:57:19 am »
Cooper has some battery powered wall switches which are flat and look like normal wall switches. They can be associated directly to other devices. Its has a dimmer rocker as well. Basically its a switch which you can stick somewhere that doesn't have a wall box, but you still want it to look like a normal switch. I think the model number is RF9500. I had one of these stuck to my desk surface to controller a dimmer lamp that was out of reach. I have about 5 of these in my house where I want to control the lights from a more convenient location than the original switch.

I have one by a window that overlooks my deck. I have string lights on my deck plugged into a plug in dimmer module. The module isn't accessible normally as its outside, but I use this wall switch as if it was hardwired. Its very nifty!

Offline jquincy

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 11:06:53 am »
Like the idea of the RF 9500. Thanks