We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Help needed to install Leviton DZMX1-1LZ  (Read 9006 times)

Offline Lona

• Sr. Newbie
Help needed to install Leviton DZMX1-1LZ
« on: August 21, 2014, 09:30:51 pm »
I have purchased some dimmer switches model:Leviton DZMX1-1LZ to replace some of my regular switches (I mean not z-wave).  I have both scenario two-way and three-way switches. I started first with a two-way switch. I removed the old switch and it has three wires. I am assuming one is neutral and one is the Hot wire because one has power and the other one does. The third wire is the ground (bare cuper).  What confuses me is that the switch has 5 wires and it says I have to use 4 wires for a two-way switch. It says I have to use the black wire (Hot),  the red wire (load),  the white wire (neutral) and the green wire (ground).  I am either missing a wire from the box on the wall or I missing something in the logic of wiring.
I feel a little stupid because everyone it's saying that is easy to install them but I am really new in home automation (never replaced a z-wave switch before).
If someone can provide some detailed information I would really appreciate.
I don't wanna hire an electrician for this job because than I would feel even more stupid :P

Offline curiousB

Re: Help needed to install Leviton DZMX1-1LZ
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 09:46:05 pm »
Green goes to the pigtail of bare ground wires in the box. White goes to the pigtail of white wires in the box. Black goes to the black line (power source) feeding the box, and red goes to the black (might be red but likely black) wire that is the load hot line. If you have a non contact tester you can find the power line. See which wire is live when power is on but light is off. This is the hot line feeding the box.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
VeraLite (1), Leviton VRI10-1LX (8 ), VP00R-1LZ (5), VRS15-1LX (1), Intermatic CA3500 (10), CA5100 (1), Aeon Labs DSC26103 (5), Foscam FI8918W (2) , FI9821W V2 (1), DLINK DCS-932L (2), DCS-930L (1), GE45604 (2), GE45603 (5), Honeywell RTH8580WF (2), HA-09WD (1), Kwikset 910TRL ZW (1), Aeon MMote (2)

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 06:13:06 am »
The key is to understand the current wiring and/or measure, so you're pretty confident what each wire does. Color is a guide only, but can be misleading.

A traditional switch would not make use of the neutral wire (typically white), but just deals with hot. The DZMX1 requires use of the neutral, as it is a universal dimmer. Basically the electronics inside need to be hooked up to power (hot+neutral) so they can do their job properly. Thus it is important that you have neutral wires in your box. (For new homes this is now standard.) If you have no neutral in the box and you have incandescent lighting, you can use a VRI06.
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline rigpapa

• Beta Testers
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 10:46:28 am »
I don't wanna hire an electrician for this job because than I would feel even more stupid :P

You should not feel stupid; these things are not always as straightforward as you want them to be. Hiring an electrician who knows how to get the job done safely may be more costly, but it's never stupid.
Author of Reactor, DelayLight, SiteSensor, Rachio, Deus Ex Machina II, Intesis WMP Gateway, Auto Virtual Thermostat and VirtualSensor plugins. Vera Plus w/100+ Z-wave devices. Vera3, Lite. Hassio, Slapdash.

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 01:20:36 pm »
+1

Stupid is playing with electricity when you don't have a clue. It's a good way to get hurt/killed or burn your house down.

Good electricians don't judge their customers. They thank them for their patronage.

Offline JamesDVB

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 04:34:02 am »
I agree with rigpapa and Z-Waver.  Just because you're not an electrical expert doesn't mean you're stupid.  It just means that your talents lie elsewhere.

As they stated, trying to wire the switches if you don't fully understand the wiring and what you're doing...  THAT would be stupid.

Sometimes being smart is knowing what you don't know, and hiring an expert.

Offline Lona

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 09:37:21 am »
As I mentioned before when I took out the old switch I saw three wires, one is the bare copper (ground) and two black wires. One has power all the time, the other one does NOT. I assumed the wire that has no power is the neutral.....
oTi@ mentioned that regular switches has three wires and they don't use a neutral. My questions are:
1. What is the black wire that has no power?
2. How can you tell if a wire is being used as a neutral?
3. Putting a wire in a wall box is optional for today's builder?  My home was built three months ago (June 2014).

Offline rigpapa

• Beta Testers
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 01:13:12 pm »
Lona,

The black wire that has no power is usually the load (light fixture(s)). That is in a typical two-way (on-off, one switch only) switch configuration. In a multi-way switch configuration, all bets are off--it could be load or traveler. And the guy who installed it could have used it for anything, you don't know. But anything is possible, and again, if you don't know enough to be sure or how to get sure, you should leave it to a pro. Same with your neutral question.

Please, my friend, people take for granted how dangerous even lower voltages of electricity can be. I work in the data center industry, in power systems, and I've seen things go wrong in varied and often unexpected ways. Even our modest 120V mains here in North America can kill you, and will give it 100% effort if you give it the opportunity. Or, put another way, the cost of the electrician is probably lower than the cost of your ER deductible, or funeral.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 01:16:05 pm by rigpapa »
Author of Reactor, DelayLight, SiteSensor, Rachio, Deus Ex Machina II, Intesis WMP Gateway, Auto Virtual Thermostat and VirtualSensor plugins. Vera Plus w/100+ Z-wave devices. Vera3, Lite. Hassio, Slapdash.

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 09:08:13 am »
3. Putting a wire in a wall box is optional for today's builder?  My home was built three months ago (June 2014).
Well, my understanding was that, in general, a neutral has to be available now. I'm sure there's exceptions, but for your standard residential box I had expected a neutral, as I thought the driver behind the rule is exactly the notion that we have these smart dimmers/switches etc. now, as well as CFL/LED lighting, etc.

A traditional switch will only use the hot side, so would only have two wires attached (ground doesn't count). Typically these would be black. If they both are black in your case, which you said they were, then it's likely that there are other wires in your box, but they wouldn't be attached to the switch. E.g., there could be two whites there, connected with a wire nut.

Enough hints here on this topic; assess what you're comfortable with / proceed carefully.
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline Lona

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 09:51:51 pm »
Thank oTi@, thanks everyone,
Some updates... Exactly as you said, they were white wires on the back of each box in my home not used from the old switch. I used a multimeter and the voltage between this white wire and the hot wire was 120V, which confirms that this white wire is the neutral. 
I was able to successfully install 7 of these dimmers (four of them are 3-way (with matching remote).
I can control all of them from my phone and they dimme perfect with my LED bulbs,  however I was not able to find out how can I set them up as a schedule turn ON/OFF. 
Three of them controls the outside lights.  I WOULD LOVE to learn how to have them turn on every night at 8pm and turn off at 6am.
Thanks in advance to everyone.

Offline AgileHumor

• KISS
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 10:20:42 pm »
Three of them controls the outside lights.  I WOULD LOVE to learn how to have them turn on every night at 8pm and turn off at 6am.
Thanks in advance to everyone.

This would be with Vera Scenes/Triggers/Schedules for simple logic.
http://docs5.mios.com/doc.php?language=1&manual=1&platform=3Pro&page=automation

When you master Vera scenes, you can begin exploring Luup or Pleg for advanced logic. 
WMC Leviton:18xVPE06,8xVRS15,3xVRP03-W,2xVRR15,4xVRCS4,2xVRCS2,VP00R,8xVRS15 Aeon:5xDSC06106,4xDSC24,4xDSC25,12xDSB29,2xDSC11,4xDSB54,DSB05,3xDSA22,DSA38,2xDSA03202B,DSB09104,HEM Other:3xYale,12xHSM100v3,7xSP103,45604,WDHA-12,SSA2USR,EVLCD1T,6xWWA02A,7xIPC-HFW2100,URTSI,Hue,Russound,OpenSprinker

Offline Lona

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 02:17:03 am »
To AgileHumor,
First thanks for the helpful link with valuable information.  I am really new in home automation (this dimmers were the first devices I installed)...
I saw to your signature where you list all the devices that you mentioned "SprinkleOpener"  Is that a z-wave device? Does that mean you can control your sprinkles from a z-wave controller??
I just got into a new home (built 3 months ago)  and I am looking to have a company to install my sprinkles and landscaping.  Is there any device/system that you can suggest for me in order to have z-wave control over my sprinkles??
Thanks in advance.

Offline AgileHumor

• KISS
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 10:42:44 am »
I saw to your signature where you list all the devices that you mentioned "SprinkleOpener"  Is that a z-wave device? Does that mean you can control your sprinkles from a z-wave controller??
I just got into a new home (built 3 months ago)  and I am looking to have a company to install my sprinkles and landscaping.  Is there any device/system that you can suggest for me in order to have z-wave control over my sprinkles??
OpenSprinkler and other controllers can be controlled via Vera and HTTP.

There is a whole forum dedicated to Irrigation+Vera here to help :)
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/board,30.0.html
WMC Leviton:18xVPE06,8xVRS15,3xVRP03-W,2xVRR15,4xVRCS4,2xVRCS2,VP00R,8xVRS15 Aeon:5xDSC06106,4xDSC24,4xDSC25,12xDSB29,2xDSC11,4xDSB54,DSB05,3xDSA22,DSA38,2xDSA03202B,DSB09104,HEM Other:3xYale,12xHSM100v3,7xSP103,45604,WDHA-12,SSA2USR,EVLCD1T,6xWWA02A,7xIPC-HFW2100,URTSI,Hue,Russound,OpenSprinker