Author Topic: UI7 thermostats: lost functionality  (Read 9802 times)

Offline futzle

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
UI7 thermostats: lost functionality
« on: August 28, 2014, 02:54:14 am »
Those of you with Z-Wave thermostats will be interested in this.

Here's what you get when you pair a Z-Wave thermostat with Vera in UI7.

Note the absence of an "Auto" mode.  Looks like you can select "Off", "Heat" and "Cool" only.  Also note the absence of buttons for energy-saving modes ("Energy"/"Normal"), and the absence of fan control buttons ("On"/"Off"/"Cycle").

This wouldn't be a huge deal except that with these buttons missing, there is no way to control these modes through scenes.  Unlike UI5, there is no "Advanced" scene editor where you can select all of the available actions from a list.  I had scenes in UI5 where arming the security system would put the thermostat in Energy Saving mode, and disarming would put it back into Normal mode.  I'm pretty sure that there's no way to replicate these in UI7 without resorting to Luup.

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
Re: UI7 thermostats: lost functionality
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 08:41:21 am »
I believe the Scene Advance mode has just not been released yet.
Also significant features that are missing:
   Ability to create a new instances of a PLugin ... unless you know how to do it the OLD way using the Developing Apps memu.
   Ability to create Notifications

Offline futzle

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 08:41:54 pm »
In UI7 it appears that the Normal/Energy mode has been moved from the urn:upnp-org:serviceId:HVAC_UserOperatingMode1/EnergyModeStatus to the urn:upnp-org:serviceId:SwitchPower1/Status variable.  I can control my thermostat's normal/energy mode with an HTTP request like:

Code: [Select]
http://localhost:3480/data_request?id=action&output_format=xml&DeviceNum=10&serviceId=urn:upnp-org:serviceId:SwitchPower1&action=SetTarget&newTargetValue=1
(1 for normal, 0 for energy).

The old action still works for the moment:

Code: [Select]
http://localhost:3480/data_request?id=action&output_format=xml&DeviceNum=10&serviceId=urn:upnp-org:serviceId:HVAC_UserOperatingMode1&action=SetEnergyModeTarget&NewModeTarget=EnergySavingsMode
(EnergySavingsMode or Normal are the permitted values) but this doesn't seem to be mentioned in the new static JSON file for D_HVAC_ZoneThermostat1.json.

Offline charettepa

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 10:23:50 am »
I believe the Scene Advance mode has just not been released yet.
Also significant features that are missing:
   Ability to create a new instances of a PLugin ... unless you know how to do it the OLD way using the Developing Apps memu.
   Ability to create Notifications

i can confirm your thought on the issue with advanced scenes
this is one i reported to MCV in mid August
they said they would work on it
so we know they are not leaving it out for good
but we also know how long it takes them to work on things

Offline daragh

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 05:51:26 pm »
I just upgraded my vera lite to UI7 after holding off, I now wish I hadn't and in my our fault I should have read more into the shortcomings. Thermostat functionality is one of the most used functions for me and my thermos stats have auto modes with different set points for het and cool, as an Engineer myself its astounds me why on earth people remove functionality clearly in use by existing users. The last post on this issue was dated in Sept 2014, its now effectively the start of December and still this core functionality is missing.

Come on MiCasaverde or Vera Control or whatever it is you're now calling yourselves get this functionality back now!!!! This is farcical....

Seriously frustrated!

Offline steets250

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 08:31:50 pm »
You'd be better off complaining on social media. MCV doesn't really look through/reply to forum comments.

Offline Armedmetallica

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 06:03:49 pm »
can anyone comment on whether the new update from this month fixes it. I'm so very close to jumping on to ui7 - but this is important, to me.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 06:30:17 pm »
can anyone comment on whether the new update from this month fixes it. I'm so very close to jumping on to ui7 - but this is important, to me.

Not sure what your looking for (as some people still complain) but the auto is there. Only one temp on the ui showing tho.

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 09:46:14 pm »
The following is WHY two setpoints are needed in the display:

If you are set to HEATING or COOLING ... you know which setpoint you are changing if you only have one displayed!

If you are set to AUTO ... you have no idea which setpoint is being changed ... And most thermostats will NOT allow both to be set to the same value.
The assert a dead zone of 2-4 degrees between the cooling and heating setpoint.

The people that changed the UI7 user interface have no idea how many thermostats work ... and why the UI7 change is a HUGE step backwards.

Actually I think MCV should put flags on the thermostat the control it's behavior:
   HEAT ONLY   (Only Heating Options)
   COOL ONLY   (Only Cooling Options)
   HEAT OR COOL   (BOTH Modes, but only one at a time ... Current UI7 mode)
   HEAT AND COOL  (Both Modes, all the time Current UI5 mode ... and actually mirrors most actual thermostats!)

Offline Armedmetallica

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 03:44:37 pm »

Not sure what your looking for (as some people still complain) but the auto is there. Only one temp on the ui showing tho.

i actually want dual temps, fan mode, and energy/normal all... Auto is nice, but I don't use that at all. Energy/Normal I use all the time ... anytime the house is empty, I drop it to energy mode.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2015, 03:52:12 pm »

i actually want dual temps, fan mode, and energy/normal all... Auto is nice, but I don't use that at all. Energy/Normal I use all the time ... anytime the house is empty, I drop it to energy mode.

Well dual temps are not in the UI. But I never get out a computer to change the a/c temps. So using Imperihome or the like you'll be fine. Also using home "AUTOMATION" like PLEG you'll be fine. Using Home Remotecontrol with the stock vera app or ui not so good yet.

Offline svaleb

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2015, 10:39:47 am »
This thermostat MESS is one of the resens I went back to ui5 in october.
And nothing has been done about it yet.
I dont like ui7 I think it is a stepback, but someday I wil have to live with it.
SO MAKE it WORK at least.
Thermostats are mostly used during the winther (I knowthat cooling is nice in some areas) but it did not get priority before winther.
Soon I will shotdown my heating and I dont need the thermostats. So maybe I should upgrade again...no way...not before I see some progress. Maybe the new veras comming up within the next few month.....IF they come up...ever.
Regards
         CE

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2015, 11:27:26 am »
This thermostat MESS is one of the resens I went back to ui5 in october.
And nothing has been done about it yet.
I dont like ui7 I think it is a stepback, but someday I wil have to live with it.
SO MAKE it WORK at least.
Thermostats are mostly used during the winther (I knowthat cooling is nice in some areas) but it did not get priority before winther.
Soon I will shotdown my heating and I dont need the thermostats. So maybe I should upgrade again...no way...not before I see some progress. Maybe the new veras comming up within the next few month.....IF they come up...ever.
Regards
         CE

The thing is especially in your case why would you have a problem with the thermostat in ui7? You click heating or auto and you set a single temp to say 72 degrees. Thermostat works fine.

The only people that have a legitimate complaint are people who run both the a/c and heater on the same day. I never do that either and I can't see a problem with anything. My thermostates function the same as they did in ui5. And if you have the a/cs set up for automation you'll never notice a problem either. With it at "auto" you can also set 72 as a setpoint and it will kick a/c or heat on to keep it at 72. Anyone that just sets their thermostat to auto and sets a high cooling point and low heat point and just leaves it that way for months at a time can still do that from the thermostat.

I know it could be better, but I think this whole A/C deal seems to be blown out of proportion for 90% of the users that don't run both a/c and heater on the same day. I held on to ui5 for along time and heard all these complaints about thermostats, but when I switched I didn't even notice this issue.

Offline svaleb

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2015, 05:00:49 pm »
Hi integlikewhoa
I admit that I dont know how it works now, but I reed in the forum that it still does not work. In october when I left ui7 I was unable to change temperature, I just saw a little green circle when I tried.
So others seems to have the problem still.
Regards
          CE

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2015, 09:35:32 pm »
Hi integlikewhoa
I admit that I dont know how it works now, but I reed in the forum that it still does not work. In october when I left ui7 I was unable to change temperature, I just saw a little green circle when I tried.
So others seems to have the problem still.
Regards
          CE

That is incorrect. Thermostate's work only problem is only one temp is displayed. You can't choose a heat setpoint and cool setpoint at the same time. What kind of thermostat do you have? I'm using 7 Trane's 500's.