We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Aeon Labs Aeotec ZW078-ZWUS Z-Wave Heavy Duty Smart Energy Switch  (Read 13025 times)

Offline evildog

Re: Aeon Labs Aeotec ZW078-ZWUS Z-Wave Heavy Duty Smart Energy Switch
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2014, 11:42:53 am »
ok this is strange. Somehow this seems to have fixed itself. I am now able to control, see energy use, and see the temp. It appears to be fully working now. The only thing I can think of is that I added a few new devices yesterday and somehow doing this kicked something in the vera to cause this to work.

Sorry I forgot to mention this in my previous posts, but I'm using UI7 on a Veralite.

This sounds similar to what knarf057 was saying with the range extender.
I got this resolved by purchasing a zwave extender. The minute I paired it my Seinfeld device works like a charm and I can monitor the energy used.

It seems to me that Vera has issues talking directly to the ZW078, but when it's routing through another non-gen5 (z-wave+) device it works fine.

Is there anyway to see the routing Vera is using to talk to a specific device? Sorry I'm still new to z-wave.

Offline martynwendon

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2014, 12:51:58 pm »
ok this is strange. Somehow this seems to have fixed itself. I am now able to control, see energy use, and see the temp. It appears to be fully working now. The only thing I can think of is that I added a few new devices yesterday and somehow doing this kicked something in the vera to cause this to work.

Sorry I forgot to mention this in my previous posts, but I'm using UI7 on a Veralite.

This sounds similar to what knarf057 was saying with the range extender.
I got this resolved by purchasing a zwave extender. The minute I paired it my Seinfeld device works like a charm and I can monitor the energy used.

It seems to me that Vera has issues talking directly to the ZW078, but when it's routing through another non-gen5 (z-wave+) device it works fine.

Is there anyway to see the routing Vera is using to talk to a specific device? Sorry I'm still new to z-wave.

Yes, if it's routed via another device that doesn't support the Security Encapsulation Z-Wave Command Classes then it would work.

But this may prove intermittent for example if at some point the device comes back into direct range or the route via the intermediate devices stops working, causing Vera to attempt direct communication again.

Offline mvader

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2014, 04:29:55 pm »
@Martyn thank you very much for posting this working around!

Hi,

We recently finished testing this device and came up with a couple of ways of getting it working in VERA UI5.

More details at http://www.vesternet.com/resources/application-notes/apnt-89

Hope that helps!

Martyn @ Vesternet

Offline SirMeili

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2014, 06:41:20 pm »

Yes, if it's routed via another device that doesn't support the Security Encapsulation Z-Wave Command Classes then it would work.

But this may prove intermittent for example if at some point the device comes back into direct range or the route via the intermediate devices stops working, causing Vera to attempt direct communication again.

Hoewever, if this is the case, you could use a manual route to make sure Vera never does that.
VeraLite (Live); ISY 994i (Live); Vera 3 (Waiting to replace VeraLite); Vera Edge (Waiting for all the bugs to be fixed); Xuan StackBox (Testing and waiting for more plugins and for it to mature)
Countless z-wave and insteon devices :D

Offline laaf2005

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2014, 05:16:58 pm »
Just gotone.  Can anyone share there install directions for a 240v water heater?  Ive got 3 wires.  2 hot and 1 ground. In the directions it shows 4 wires.  I dont have a neutral wire so i assume that is not required for 240v? 

Offline laaf2005

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2014, 11:04:33 pm »
I got it installed.  No neutral needed.

Offline mvader

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2015, 09:39:30 pm »
Hi,

We recently finished testing this device and came up with a couple of ways of getting it working in VERA UI5.

More details at http://www.vesternet.com/resources/application-notes/apnt-89

Hope that helps!

Martyn @ Vesternet

@Martyn
I followed the instructions provided by the link, the device is seen and configured, i can see the wattage, however the on/off control doesn't seem to work.
any idea what may be wrong?
Thanks!

Offline mvader

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2015, 10:51:11 am »
bump.. anyone get this to work?  I have it in UI5, it reads the watts. but i can not turn things on and off with it.

Offline BoneyCheng

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2015, 01:50:03 pm »
I heard that adding 32S to the list of capabilities in the advanced section may actually solve the issue of not being able to turn it ON/OFF. This should allow the Heavy Duty to respond to the basic ON OFF commands.

Offline mvader

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2015, 02:36:31 pm »
I heard that adding 32S to the list of capabilities in the advanced section may actually solve the issue of not being able to turn it ON/OFF. This should allow the Heavy Duty to respond to the basic ON OFF commands.

wow that's for that info. I'll try it tonight and report back.

Offline mvader

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2015, 07:23:11 pm »

Unfortunately this did not work for me. when i save, it re-configures the devices and it "purges associations"
so the 32S i put in goes away.
any other ideas?

Offline mvader

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2015, 10:32:18 pm »
I'm using this on my dryer.
tonight i was working on setting up notifications for when the drying is complete.
but i noticed. the device was reporting 0 watts then xxxx watts.. after a few minutes.. back to 0 watts again.. over and over.
the driver never stopped..

anyone see anything like that before with other aeotec devices?

Offline bbosch

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2017, 02:38:00 pm »
tonight i was working on setting up notifications for when the drying is complete.
but i noticed. the device was reporting 0 watts then xxxx watts.. after a few minutes.. back to 0 watts again.. over and over.

Hi mvader
I just added this switch. it is working as expected, switches on and off.
I'm also seeing zero power usage reported. You ever figured this out or manage to fix it?

Thanks

Offline mvader

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2017, 11:16:28 pm »

Hi mvader
I just added this switch. it is working as expected, switches on and off.
I'm also seeing zero power usage reported. You ever figured this out or manage to fix it?

Thanks

i get intermittent results.. it will show watts for a few minutes, then show 0000, then a few minutes later show watts again.. i have not figured out how to get it to show consistently.