We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: RGB(W) arduino device  (Read 24562 times)

Offline rosskinard

Re: RGB(W) arduino device
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2014, 02:53:18 pm »
I just built the dimmer controller on a breadboard using a 3.3V Mini Pro like Hek has linked in his build.

For the MOSFETs I used 30N06L which interface fine with the 3.3V Mini Pro. These are rated 32A so they should provide enough current for 1 or 2 of the 5m strips without issue. Since most smaller 12V bricks are around 6A I'd just stick to the one brick/one board/one full strip idea. Use a repeater if you need to go longer, just like you would with the little cheap IR controller some of the LED kits ship with.

I added in the 10K resistors to this and it dimmed the LED strip to maybe 25% of it's output...so I reduced the value down to the same 220ohm that I use on the input leg and this has insured the LEDs are off until the Arduino has booted.

http://www.fairchildsemi.com/pf/FQ/FQP30N06L.html

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10213

SparkFun price is pretty comparable to the eBay prices from China for the same chip.

Offline rosskinard

« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2014, 11:07:32 pm »
Anyone else have issues with the Vera UI never accurately reflecting the actual values of the dimmers?

It's like they'll update once, and any changes after that never reflect in the UI.

For example I turn each element (R G B) to 20% with the slider...so the UI shows each at 20%. I make changes to any of them...they still say 20% even though the device is truly different. I can click the OFF button for each and the LEDs go out, but UI still shows them at 20%.

Any ideas on how to deal with that?

Offline blacey

« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2014, 11:44:37 pm »
Anyone else have issues with the Vera UI never accurately reflecting the actual values of the dimmers?

It's like they'll update once, and any changes after that never reflect in the UI.

For example I turn each element (R G B) to 20% with the slider...so the UI shows each at 20%. I make changes to any of them...they still say 20% even though the device is truly different. I can click the OFF button for each and the LEDs go out, but UI still shows them at 20%.

Checkout my single-channel DimmableLED sketch...

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,23342.msg158463.html#msg158463
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=23342.0;attach=15567
Three Vera-3 (Home, Seasonal 1 & 2) - Firmware: 1.5.622,   Zwave: 3.20 L:1
One Vera-Edge (Dependent) - Firmware: 1.7.1707, Zwave: 4.5 L:1

Offline rosskinard

« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2014, 11:51:10 pm »
Cool...thanks Bruce.

I'll see about merging the feedback parts of your sketch into the RGBW sketch korttoma posted and see what we get.

Ideally instead of 4 dimmers in Vera I'd like 1 device with 4 channels of control...maybe UP & DOWN settings similar to how the thermostat interface has for the Heat and Cool set points.

Just haven't had time to really dig into how all the elements come together...life's too busy plus new job starting within a week or so.

Offline gregl

« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2014, 12:44:29 am »
Does anyone know of a guide or documentation for how to create a plugin's "device" in Vera?

For my pool controller, i would love to be able to have a single device which shows multiple temp values, ph and also ON/OFF controls for pumps/light...

It would be similar to that of some of the thermostat plugins...but how do you go about creating them???
Do you hack existing ones, load it up via the "develop apps", reload ( go have a coffee.....), notice a mistake and repeat???

Offline RexBeckett

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2014, 03:36:25 am »
Does anyone know of a guide or documentation for how to create a plugin's "device" in Vera?

There are several documents here that explain plugin components and the process of developing them. They have not all been kept up-to-date but they should get you started.

Do you hack existing ones, load it up via the "develop apps", reload ( go have a coffee.....), notice a mistake and repeat???

That is what a lot of people do. You can reduce the number of cycles by using a good Lua IDE (e.g. ZeroBraneStudio for Vera) but the UI part usually takes a few trials...

Offline petewill

• Beta Testers
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2014, 09:24:27 am »

@rosskinard, I am experiencing similar problems and I am using Bruce's sketch.  I am still waiting to put in the new MOSFETs so I thought it had something to do with that (since I have never actually had it working).  If I figure out what's going on I'll post back here.

Congrats on the new job!
My "How To" home automation video channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq_Evyh5PQALx4m4CQuxqkA

Offline gregl

« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2014, 12:43:39 am »
There are several documents here that explain plugin components and the process of developing them. They have not all been kept up-to-date but they should get you started.

Thanks Rex.

Offline Jasonejc

« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2014, 01:02:55 pm »
This looks like it would be a great solution for a simple Multi-Channel (8 total) RGB add on.

https://learn.adafruit.com/tlc5947-tlc59711-pwm-led-driver-breakout/

Offline rosskinard

« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2014, 02:04:10 pm »
This looks like it would be a great solution for a simple Multi-Channel (8 total) RGB add on.

https://learn.adafruit.com/tlc5947-tlc59711-pwm-led-driver-breakout/

I might get one of these to tinker with...

Offline caca

« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2014, 01:58:04 pm »
Hi,

I have a problem with RGBW dimmer. I uploaded code and looking at the terminal where I get this

Code: [Select]
2;255;4;7;0
2;3;0;4;1.3b3 (67f4ca1)
2;5;0;4;1.3b3 (67f4ca1)
2;6;0;4;1.3b3 (67f4ca1)
2;9;0;4;1.3b3 (67f4ca1)
2;3;2;3;
2;3;2;3;

and always repeats 2;3;2;3; Node 2, ChildID 3 - first PWM, 2 - Request Variable, 3 - Dimmer value. 0-100% but whatever I send still node sends 2;3;2;3; some 15-17 times.
I tried to send

Code: [Select]
2;3;3;3;50
2;3;1;3;10

In UI5 I can move dimmer 0-100% and GW sends command (LED blink) but the ON button does not go blue?

Offline Zooz

« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2014, 09:35:20 am »
Just finished installing RGB lights to the back of the TV. Works well. Also added some sort of color transition "mode".

However, for fine tuning the static color of the light 10% steps (dimmer) are too large. Have anyone of you overcome this somehow?