We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: New ecobee3 thermostat should work with existing plugin  (Read 47074 times)

Offline tomgru

Re: New ecobee3 thermostat should work with existing plugin
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2014, 10:55:02 am »
I just saw word that "PIN support" for the ecobee3 is days away, and I believe it should work fine with UI5. I am trying to finish some paying work right now so I can focus on updating the plugin for UI7.  Shouldn't be too far off!

watou

Awesome!  I'm on U15 still... so i'll keep my eyes on this thread!

Offline watou

• Community Beta
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2014, 11:29:34 am »
I just saw word that "PIN support" for the ecobee3 is days away, and I believe it should work fine with UI5. I am trying to finish some paying work right now so I can focus on updating the plugin for UI7.  Shouldn't be too far off!

watou

Awesome!  I'm on U15 still... so i'll keep my eyes on this thread!

This is a good thread to watch as well: http://developer.ecobee.com/api/topics/getpin-for-ecobee3

As for still being on UI5, perhaps take note of what is being discussed on this thread http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,27712.0.html before upgrading.

watou

Offline bwillette

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2014, 08:10:18 am »
I installed my new ecobee3 this weekend, and love what I see so far.  Eagerly awaiting the PIN functionality so I can tie into Vera in the near future (I'm on UI5 still thankfully)!

Offline lavoyka

« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2014, 08:37:15 am »
So does the Vera not see the Ecobee 3 at all or can you just not use the Ecobee interface within Vera?

Offline watou

• Community Beta
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2014, 09:22:12 am »
So does the Vera not see the Ecobee 3 at all or can you just not use the Ecobee interface within Vera?

This is my understanding:

If an Ecobee customer only has any of their older thermostats, that customer continues to use their old web portal (for now).  The old web portal has a My Apps widget that lets you enter a four-character PIN that the Vera Ecobee plugin presents to you.  Entering the PIN in the My Apps widget connects the Vera Ecobee plugin to your ecobee.com account, letting you see and control all of the thermostats registered there.

The new ecobee3 thermostat comes with a new, redesigned web portal.  If a new or existing Ecobee customer adds an ecobee3 to their account, the customer gets upgraded to the new web portal, but it is currently missing the equivalent of the My Apps widget that lets you enter the four-character PIN.  So, ecobee3 customers currently do not have a way of connecting to third-party apps.  Users and developers have been told that the PIN functionality will be added to the new web portal in a matter of days. 

Developers have also been told that the existing Ecobee API should be compatible with the new ecobee3 thermostat, so I'm pretty sure that the existing Ecobee plugin should work with the new ecobee3 thermostat, once the PIN can be entered.

watou

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2014, 09:56:40 am »
As soon as this is all confirmed, I'll be purchasing a kit with spare sensors.

- Garrett

Offline laaf2005

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2014, 11:05:25 pm »
Pin functionality has been added to the web portal.  I can't create a pin in UI7.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

Offline tomgru

« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2014, 11:59:12 pm »
I can confirm this works now.  I have the old plugin working with the Ecobee3, at least in terms of the functionality it has it in already.  Also working with my 3rd party Windows Phone app. 

Offline laaf2005

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2014, 12:01:18 am »
Are you using UI5 or UI7?

Offline tomgru

« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2014, 12:23:59 am »

U15.

Offline watou

• Community Beta
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2014, 03:56:22 am »

A work deadline has slowed my progress in updating the plugin for UI7, but by this time next week I should have an update.  I don't know how far it will get you, but if the problem is a lack of a "Get PIN" button, you could get past that by calling the Luup action GetPin on the main Ecobee device:

Code: [Select]
device_number = <MAIN DEVICE NUMBER HERE>
luup.call_action("urn:ecobee-com:serviceId:Ecobee1", "GetPin", {}, device_number)

this will put the retrieved PIN in the message area in UI7 for you to enter at ecobee.com.  There are other UI7 issues which I expect to improve in a week's time (but also there are other UI7 issues over which I have no control).

watou

Offline tomgru

« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2014, 09:55:23 am »

A work deadline has slowed my progress in updating the plugin for UI7, but by this time next week I should have an update.  I don't know how far it will get you, but if the problem is a lack of a "Get PIN" button, you could get past that by calling the Luup action GetPin on the main Ecobee device:

Code: [Select]
device_number = <MAIN DEVICE NUMBER HERE>
luup.call_action("urn:ecobee-com:serviceId:Ecobee1", "GetPin", {}, device_number)

this will put the retrieved PIN in the message area in UI7 for you to enter at ecobee.com.  There are other UI7 issues which I expect to improve in a week's time (but also there are other UI7 issues over which I have no control).

watou

I'm hoping they expose the remote temperature sensors for you to take advantage of as well. 😉

Offline watou

• Community Beta
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2014, 10:26:53 am »
I'm hoping they expose the remote temperature sensors for you to take advantage of as well. 😉

Me too.  I'm going to be installing an ecobee3 and 3 remote sensors in my mother's house weekend after next, and I'm going to scour the JSON payload in hopes of seeing the remote sensor data from which to create more Vera devices.

watou

Offline tomgru

« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2014, 10:37:09 am »

Me too.  I'm going to be installing an ecobee3 and 3 remote sensors in my mother's house weekend after next, and I'm going to scour the JSON payload in hopes of seeing the remote sensor data from which to create more Vera devices.

watou

Awesome.  They don't even show them on their own web portal yet...  :)

Offline Sig

« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2014, 12:45:50 pm »
Requesting some help...

I installed the Nest plugin to work with my Ecobee, based on the latest comments on this thread that the Ecobee web portal now supports the PIN functionality needed.

- When everyone refers to PIN functionality in the Ecobee portal, am I correct in that this is the Access Control feature?  The PINs generated by the Ecobee plugin contain letters, and the Ecobee portal will only accept numbers.  Am I doing something completely wrong here?
- And if I enable it, will I need to use the PIN every time I change something on my thermostat outside of Vera as well?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 12:56:16 pm by Sig »