We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Changing or removing the decimal point  (Read 2896 times)

Offline qwen3579

Changing or removing the decimal point
« on: September 22, 2014, 02:32:39 pm »
I recall seeing somewhere here how to add decimal places in the plugin. I can't find it now. I want to remove the decimal completely so the plugin just displays the whole number. Where can that be done?

EDIT: Found it. It's under Nest Account (the one with "n") Advanced > Temperature Scale. I changed it to 0 to display whole values.

Offline watou

Re: Changing or removing the decimal point
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 02:39:34 pm »
I recall seeing somewhere here how to add decimal places in the plugin. I can't find it now. I want to remove the decimal completely so the plugin just displays the whole number. Where can that be done?

EDIT: Found it. It's under Nest Account (the one with "n") Advanced > Temperature Scale. I changed it to 0 to display whole values.
The 0 works because it's illegal and so defaults to 1.  (It's the denominator of the fractional precision to show.)

watou

watou

Offline qwen3579

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 02:49:09 pm »

The 0 works because it's illegal and so defaults to 1.  (It's the denominator of the fractional precision to show.)

watou

watou

Good to know. What values are acceptable there and how many decimal points are displayed with them?

Offline watou

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 06:49:00 pm »
Good to know. What values are acceptable there and how many decimal points are displayed with them?

From the README at http://cocu.la/vera/nest/README.md:

Thermostat: Controlling the Precision of Reported Temperatures

The Nest thermostat internally reports very precise temperatures in Celsius, but by default the plugin will report whole number values (regardless of whether Fahrenheit or Celsius temperature scales are used). You can control this however, by specifying your preferred rounding precision with a device variable on the main Nest device called TemperatureScale. The value you provide is the denominator D in the fraction 1/D, the fractional value to which the temperature should be rounded. For example, providing 2 means that temperatures will be rounded to the nearest 1/2 (0.5) of a degree. Providing 10 would round to the nearest tenth (0.1) of a degree.

The default value for TemperatureScale is 1, meaning only whole degrees are reported by default.

Notes
  • This feature will not allow you to change the setpoint sliders in the user interface to fractional values; that is outside the scope of the plugin.
  • Using this feature may cause unwanted side-effects that are outside the scope of the plugin's control. Please test your configuration thoroughly before determining that a non-1 value is for you.
  • This feature is agnostic to whether you display temperatures in Fahrenheit or Celsius, but it may be of more value to Celsius users to set TemperatureScale to 2 to achieve near-Fahrenheit granularity.

Offline qwen3579

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 07:40:42 pm »
Thanks for the documentation. I must have missed it.

Offline watou

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 02:10:14 am »
Thanks for the documentation. I must have missed it.
No worries;  I should have linked to the documentation earlier.  Regards, watou