We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: z wave dimmer with local dimming a energy monitoring  (Read 1324 times)

Offline victorb17

z wave dimmer with local dimming a energy monitoring
« on: September 27, 2014, 08:15:56 pm »
I am looking for a dimmer that can dim locally as well as provide energy monitoring.  It should be able to replace an existing dimmer, and be powered by 110.  I have searched and have not been successful.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?  Thanks.

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
Re: z wave dimmer with local dimming a energy monitoring
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 09:12:59 am »
So far as I know, the only dimmers that provide energy monitoring are the Aeon and Fibaro micro switch dimmers.

I'm unclear about your requirement to "dim locally". If you mean that you want a wall switch that dims, as will as the Z-Wave dimming, the previously mentioned micro switches will do this, provided that your wall switch is a momentary type.

Offline victorb17

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 10:36:29 pm »
I did not know about the momentary capability. Do you hold the switch until the desired level is reached? Does it need to be single or double throw?

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 08:36:53 am »
You hold the single throw momentary switch until it reaches the desired level.

Offline victorb17

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 09:52:06 pm »
With the aeotec dimmer... Is there a setting somewhere to enable the momentary capability? When I hook up a momentary switch it just turns off when released. Which is really what I expected it to do. The manual lists no such capabilities.

Offline victorb17

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 11:02:13 pm »
Got it. Nevermind. Hold button for 6 seconds.

Offline victorb17

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 10:56:56 pm »
Ok, I still am not happy with the aeotec micro smart dimmer.   To give you an idea of what I am trying to do...I am replacing these crestron dimmers:
http://www.crestron.com/resources/product_and_programming_resources/catalogs_and_brochures/online_catalog/default.asp?jump=1&model=CLW-DIM

Notice it has 3 buttons and a slide switch at the bottom.  The large button is simply a toggle on and off.  The small buttons operate differently based on the slide position.  In 'dim' mode they will dim up and down respectively.  In scene mode they will recall a scene (lighting level).  A level for each small button.

Why I like the crestron dimmer.   I can dim locally (at the switch).  I can toggle on or off.  I can recall a scene.

Why I like the aeotec.  Cheaper.  Can report energy usage.  I can program without crestron software.

Why I do not like the aeotec.  If I use a z wave command to dim the light, then the wall switch will return to this level when you turn the light on.  Meaning I cannot turn the light on to 100% without sending another z-wave command.  I know I can set the unit in momentary mode, but then the switch operation is weird to other people.

Is there not a device that has similar operation to the crestron dimmer that also reports energy usage?  Can I monitor energy usage at the breaker and have a dimmer that meets the other criteria?