We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: [RESOLVED] UI7 - "Can't detect device"  (Read 35092 times)

Offline steets250

[RESOLVED] UI7 - "Can't detect device"
« on: September 29, 2014, 09:30:22 pm »
I recently upgraded my Vera from UI5 to UI7. I did a factory reset when I upgraded to ensure Vera started UI7 with a clean slate. I successfully readied my Z-Wave devices and plugins. However, I am getting an error under a few of my plugins that Vera "can't detect device". I don't get this for the devices the plugin creates (e.g. nest plugin device has an error , but the thermostat device it creates is fine). The plugin still works, but I keep getting device not responding errors on the dashboard. Has anyone encountered this error and know how to fix it. I get this error on the Nest and MySensors plugin, but not the TCP Lights plugin. I attached a couple images below to show what I'm seeing in Vera.

Thanks for your help! (I also emailed Vera support, but the forum usually answers faster).

Steven
--

Vera Support:

"Can't detect device" can no longer be associated with an issue in UI firmware. This is was an issue related to UI firmware and resolved a long while ago.

Second case, where this message is displayed, is on migrated setups, from older platforms (Vera3/Lite). Due to hardware limitations, battery operated devices will not have any return routes. Please consider starting fresh with the new setups, for best performance of your setup. Even in this scenario, Vera is signaling a problem with these devices. "Can't detect device" is NOT a bug, but rather Vera's way to tell you that there's something wrong with a device.

Some people may say. Well, I didn't have this issue back on UI5. You're right, UI5 did not have a mechanism of checking and notifying the user, of any routing issues.

New situations where this message occurs, is telling you that there is an issue with that particular device.
Please open a dedicated topic with the device you are having issues with.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 03:44:29 pm by John M. »

Offline seanh

• Sr. Newbie
Re: UI7 - "Can't detect device"
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 12:30:37 am »
I am experiencing the same thing.  Anyword from Support?

Offline lolodomo

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 10:22:00 am »
That's a known issue affecting at least all plugins using the serial port communication, and maybe other plugins. The way to fix that is known but developers have to apply the fix.
One of my plugin I have not yet adjusted for UI7  displays this error while it is not using serial port.

Offline steets250

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 10:32:03 am »
Ok. Thanks for the reply! Vera support is looking at it now. I'll let them know what it is.

Offline seanh

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 04:02:39 pm »
The only active plugin (with devices installed) I have is the Foscam camera plugin.  I do have the open sprinkler and Nest plugin installed, but no devices created with them.  When I did have the OpenSprinkler device and Nest devices installed, the dashboard reportd 3 devices with the "Can;t detect device" error.  I also have an open support case, so will update if they come back with anything.

Offline lolodomo

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 06:10:17 pm »
By the way, it looks like another UI7 bug. I don't understand why we should call
Code: [Select]
luup.set_failure(false)at startup of each plugin. It should be the default.

Offline steets250

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 06:10:56 pm »
Ok. Thanks for the info!

Offline llama

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2014, 01:56:46 pm »
I have the same error for all of my Aeotec door sensors.  I don't have a single plugin installed. 

Offline lolodomo

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 08:15:00 am »
I have the same error for all of my Aeotec door sensors.  I don't have a single plugin installed.

Try to upgrade to 1.7.388, I have the feeling it is what solved this issue for my Fibaro dimmer.

I don't know if there is something new relative to plugin devices because I have now updated all plugins that were triggering this error. But I will try to suppress the patch on one of these plugins and see if the error comes back or if Vera Corp has solved the issue.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 08:18:07 am by lolodomo »

Offline Engel

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 08:51:28 am »
Having the same problem with a motion sensor from Everspring HSP02.
Tried to move it closer to Vera controller and changed battery. No effect.
It seems to loose connection every 20 min. And after a while it reconnects.
Newer had that problem with UI5.
Any solutions?

Offline jventerprises

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 08:40:47 pm »
same problem with aeotec key fob.  it works fine but says 'can't detect device' after first wakeup.

tech support has been looking at it.

Offline hmspain

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2014, 02:15:19 pm »
same problem with aeotec key fob.  it works fine but says 'can't detect device' after first wakeup.

tech support has been looking at it.

Did you take it to work? LOL
VeraPlus, Nest Cameras (6), Siren, Hue Bulbs/Strips/Blooms (65), Fan Dimmer (6), Aeon 4-in-1s (10), Water Sensors (3), Z-Wave Switches (20), Nest Smoke/CO Protects (5), Ecobee 3, HEM Gen2s (2)

Offline fseesink

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2014, 12:12:00 pm »
I recently upgraded my Vera Lite from UI5 (latest version... sorry, forget now) to UI7 (v1.7.439 as I write this).  I had always logged into cp.mios.com before, and at one point was checking if there'd been any firmware updates, and logged in I didn't see anything.  I guess within a version (e.g., v1.5.x) they don't indicate updates to newer versions (e.g., v1.7.x).  Then went to MiCasaVerde site and it indicated there was a UI7, clicked a link thinking it would take me to a page that showed me more on it, when suddenly it was upgrading my unit!

Well, after reboot, I am able to login with my usual credentials for remote access, and I do see the new UI.  (Side note:  once in awhile when I log in, it seems to try and send me to the UI5 interface for some odd reason, which kicks up messages about not connecting.  I simply log out and try again, and usually that's all it takes.)

UI7 looks quite nice, and when logged in, it seems FOR THE MOST PART that it kept my config intact.  I see all my devices listed as well as all my scenes.  However, on the dashboard it indicates a red sad face smiley house icon with a message that "13 devices are no longer connected... They can be disconnected, out of range, or the batteries should be replaced."  Basically NONE of my devices are apparently connected.  But yet when I log in, I'll see status messages above the dashboard about one of my devices having a low battery.  ???

Even worse, though, while logged into UI7, while most menus on the left work, if I try to click on 'Users & Account Info', I am immediately sent back to the login page!  Doesn't matter what I do, that's what happens.  So I have no access that that section at all.

And while I can reach the SSH server on my Vera Lite unit from my home LAN, I can't seem to login. (1)

I'm just wondering what I can do.  I was caught a bit offguard by the upgrade triggering the way it did, and I have a lot of scenes configured I'd rather not have to rebuild.  And even if so, I don't mind that so much even going to factory reset (how do we do that again?) IF I can somehow dump them out so I have them in a list.

Anyway, overall like the look of the UI.  Just hoping to stabilize things.  So if anyone has any tips, hints, or thoughts, I'm all ears and would be very appreciative.

UPDATE:
(1) Had a few minutes to Google, and was able to go to Settings | Backup, [Create backup], download the .tgz file, then decompress it, navigated to /etc/cmh/cmh.conf, and find the root SSH password there.  So I CAN SSH into the unit now.  But all the rest still stands.  So if anyone has instructions that would let me tweak things under the hood, I'm all ears.

P.S.  Just joined this forum, and while I get the screwy Captcha for creating an account to block bots/spammers/etc. (most only ask 1 thing, not 4!), what's the deal with having to do the same once you're logged in?  Seems a bit excessive.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 12:28:37 pm by fseesink »

Offline lkh11lkh

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 09:44:39 am »
hi fseesink

I m new user of veralite. just to share my tots only.

firmware
UI5 is so far most stable & mostly seniors are using too.

SSH
I hope this link http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Logon_Vera_SSH will also let u better understand on another point of view for SSH root password.

Captcha
I hope this link http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,28668.0.html will also let u better understand on another point of view for Captcha that other users view.

cheers  :)

Offline Ostrichsak

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2014, 10:31:12 am »
I recently upgraded my Vera Lite from UI5 (latest version... sorry, forget now) to UI7 (v1.7.439 as I write this).  I had always logged into cp.mios.com before, and at one point was checking if there'd been any firmware updates, and logged in I didn't see anything.  I guess within a version (e.g., v1.5.x) they don't indicate updates to newer versions (e.g., v1.7.x).  Then went to MiCasaVerde site and it indicated there was a UI7, clicked a link thinking it would take me to a page that showed me more on it, when suddenly it was upgrading my unit!

Well, after reboot, I am able to login with my usual credentials for remote access, and I do see the new UI.  (Side note:  once in awhile when I log in, it seems to try and send me to the UI5 interface for some odd reason, which kicks up messages about not connecting.  I simply log out and try again, and usually that's all it takes.)

UI7 looks quite nice, and when logged in, it seems FOR THE MOST PART that it kept my config intact.  I see all my devices listed as well as all my scenes.  However, on the dashboard it indicates a red sad face smiley house icon with a message that "13 devices are no longer connected... They can be disconnected, out of range, or the batteries should be replaced."  Basically NONE of my devices are apparently connected.  But yet when I log in, I'll see status messages above the dashboard about one of my devices having a low battery.  ???

Even worse, though, while logged into UI7, while most menus on the left work, if I try to click on 'Users & Account Info', I am immediately sent back to the login page!  Doesn't matter what I do, that's what happens.  So I have no access that that section at all.

And while I can reach the SSH server on my Vera Lite unit from my home LAN, I can't seem to login. (1)

I'm just wondering what I can do.  I was caught a bit offguard by the upgrade triggering the way it did, and I have a lot of scenes configured I'd rather not have to rebuild.  And even if so, I don't mind that so much even going to factory reset (how do we do that again?) IF I can somehow dump them out so I have them in a list.

Anyway, overall like the look of the UI.  Just hoping to stabilize things.  So if anyone has any tips, hints, or thoughts, I'm all ears and would be very appreciative.

UPDATE:
(1) Had a few minutes to Google, and was able to go to Settings | Backup, [Create backup], download the .tgz file, then decompress it, navigated to /etc/cmh/cmh.conf, and find the root SSH password there.  So I CAN SSH into the unit now.  But all the rest still stands.  So if anyone has instructions that would let me tweak things under the hood, I'm all ears.

P.S.  Just joined this forum, and while I get the screwy Captcha for creating an account to block bots/spammers/etc. (most only ask 1 thing, not 4!), what's the deal with having to do the same once you're logged in?  Seems a bit excessive.

Welcome.

As a relatively new user I can tell you a few things that may help you out.

1) You will get little to no support on UI7 as most here fear change and therefore will NOT upgrade to UI7 and just want to talk about how NOTHING works on UI7 and the devs refuse to update their plugins to work with UI7 (most claim it's no possible when it actually is a relatively simple adjustment they refuse to do) which in turn makes it so fewer people want to update to UI7 which IS a better interface.  It's not w/o it's bugs of course but UI5 isn't the bed of roses some will try to have you believe.

2) The issue you experience is one I also experience with my Foscam cameras as well even though they seem to function 100%.  I attempted to disable the warning messages and was unable to.  Then, without reason or explanation, the red face turned green and it worked fine for about a week.  Since I didn't do anything to fix this there was always a dark cloud over my head because I knew that it could just as easily revert back to being broken.  It did.  I have a help ticket open but it's taking weeks to get responses and I REALLY miss the chat feature that existed when I bought the VeraLite.

3) The captcha BS is way way WAY overkill and is a bandaid fix for old forum software.  After you post 5 (I think it is) times it will go away.  Requiring you to answer like 5 questions every time you post is overkill at best.  The forum software is painfully ancient and devoid of any of the features that have been developed to make user interaction a better experience over the last decade or so.

4) You will get a lot of people that look down on you for not using UI5 and basically offering no support to make you feel like some sort of an outlier.  In fact, it's actually the community that appears to be stalling growth of this product more than the developers themselves.  The days that it works I feel like I'm happy with my purchase.  The days that it has issues I consider if I made the right choice and what else is out there.  I have a Wink Hub showing up today but I'm 99% sure I will hate it based on some of the reviews I've read.  I may give the SmartThings hub a try sooner than later.  I hate the idea of having to change (especially since I paid $179 for this turd when it's going for $99 just a few months later so I won't get as much on resale) but it seems as though the device and support for this product are regressing more than advancing which isn't a good sign since it was far from perfect to begin with.  Trending backwards is something that it can ill afford.

Good luck with whatever you decide but the best advice I can give based on my experience is don't get too attached and keep looking out for what else is out there.  Sounds like Apple and Google are both on the horizon with what will likely be a MUCH more polished offering since the market currently is sparse and unstable at best.