We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: [RESOLVED] UI7 - "Can't detect device"  (Read 34929 times)

Offline R19Mef

UI7 "Cant detect de
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2014, 07:48:15 pm »
So I just purchased the software and received my vdmx.key but still cant get the sofware to lanch.  My VDMX application still says VDMX Key Request OSX.  Any suggestions as to what Im doing wrong?

Offline BOFH

• Sr. Hero Member
Re: UI7 - "Can't detect device"
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2014, 09:06:43 pm »

UI7 looks quite nice, and when logged in, it seems FOR THE MOST PART that it kept my config intact.  I see all my devices listed as well as all my scenes.  However, on the dashboard it indicates a red sad face smiley house icon with a message that "13 devices are no longer connected... They can be disconnected, out of range, or the batteries should be replaced."  Basically NONE of my devices are apparently connected.  But yet when I log in, I'll see status messages above the dashboard about one of my devices having a low battery.  ???

I just upgraded my backup/QA Vera3 to UI7 and am getting the same stuff for all my camera's that use th BI plugin. All camera's works fine and I cleared the error logs and still get that stupid sad smiley house. Taking up valuable real-estate. I don't have an alarm system so why does that banner waste space with an Alarm system icon. I haven't been able to figure out how to get that menu to disappear.

Even worse, though, while logged into UI7, while most menus on the left work, if I try to click on 'Users & Account Info', I am immediately sent back to the login page!  Doesn't matter what I do, that's what happens.  So I have no access that that section at all.

what's the deal with having to do the same once you're logged in?  Seems a bit excessive.

I noticed the same thing. Does it kick you to the cp.mios.com or the home.getvera.com page? If cp.mios.com, I realized mine had UI5 on it before and I was using the credentials for that. I went to home.getvera.com and created a new account with the same userID and email but a different password as UI7 apparently wants a special character in it. It foudn teh newly upgraded Vera 3 and moved it to my new account. No more login weirdness after that.
Vera3 UI5 UI7 Edge Plus
Trane TZEMT400AB32 | Schlage BE369 FE599 | GE 45601 45602 45603 45604 45606 45609 45631 | Intermatic HA01C HA03C HA05C HA07C CA600 CA3000 | Aeon DSC06106 | Telguard GDC1 | Foscam FI8910W FI8905W FI9821W | D-Link 930L | Wanscam JW0011 | ZModo ZPIBH13W

Offline JoeyD

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2014, 07:22:25 pm »
That's a known issue affecting at least all plugins using the serial port communication, and maybe other plugins. The way to fix that is known but developers have to apply the fix.

Can you tell me what the fix is?  I'm developing my own plug-in for Legrand Lights (using a serial interface device adapter), and I'm now getting the "Can't detect device" message.  Like others, the plugin itself seems to be functioning fine...but the message is obviously an issue.

How do I fix it?

andreimios

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2014, 03:51:45 am »
Hi all,

That's a known issue affecting at least all plugins using the serial port communication, and maybe other plugins. The way to fix that is known but developers have to apply the fix.

Can you tell me what the fix is?  I'm developing my own plug-in for Legrand Lights (using a serial interface device adapter), and I'm now getting the "Can't detect device" message.  Like others, the plugin itself seems to be functioning fine...but the message is obviously an issue.

How do I fix it?

In order to remove this, you need to add in your code "luup.set_failure(0, lul_device)" if your plugin has initialized correctly.

Best Regards,

- Andrei -

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2014, 09:48:40 am »
The problem is that is NOT UI5 compatible.

What works in BOTH (and is in conflict with the advice and documentation) is

Code: [Select]
  luup.set_failure(false)

It seems like in UI7 that MCV decided that most plugins would fail and the few that didn't would add this call.

Offline JoeyD

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2014, 03:05:42 pm »
Thanks to the both of you.  Even though I have not added that statement to my startup, it mysteriously stopped reporting the "can't connect" issue.  Regardless, I will be adding the

Code: [Select]
luup.set_failure(false)
to my startup.

Offline lolodomo

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2014, 03:32:59 pm »
It seems like in UI7 that MCV decided that most plugins would fail and the few that didn't would add this call.

Very strange choice.

Offline Pestus

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2015, 01:12:58 pm »
I'm seeing this exact thing.

Foscam camera works, but it shows "Can't Connect Device."

Camera shows up in the dashboard, and clicking through, the regular feed also works.

Device Type:  urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:DigitalSecurityCamera:1
Device File:  D_DigitalSecurityCamera1.xml
Device Json:  D_DigitalSecurityCamera1.json

I note that I am supposed to put "luup.set_failure(false)" somewhere.  I've looked at these two files, but they aren't appropriate for lua code.  As such, some clarification on where this snippet goes, would be helpful.  I cant find anywhere in the interface to put Lua script in relation to the plugins.  I've tried putting this line into the startup Lua section, under develop apps, but it did not work. 

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 01:30:43 pm by Pestus »

Offline jprafter

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2015, 06:47:17 pm »
I have the same issue with my Foscam setup in UI7. I looked at the device settings, Advanced Settings and it showed CommFailure of value 1, I set it to 0 and the smiley face is back and no message. I don't think I want to have to do this on a regular basis LOL. I'm not loving UI7 so far :-)

Offline hmspain

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2015, 07:10:39 pm »
I have the same issue with my Foscam setup in UI7. I looked at the device settings, Advanced Settings and it showed CommFailure of value 1, I set it to 0 and the smiley face is back and no message. I don't think I want to have to do this on a regular basis LOL. I'm not loving UI7 so far :-)

We all live with the "quirks".  I don't find myself doing the CommFailure thing often, but it's a nice trick to have in your arsenal.
VeraPlus, Nest Cameras (6), Siren, Hue Bulbs/Strips/Blooms (65), Fan Dimmer (6), Aeon 4-in-1s (10), Water Sensors (3), Z-Wave Switches (20), Nest Smoke/CO Protects (5), Ecobee 3, HEM Gen2s (2)

Offline Pestus

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2015, 03:36:15 pm »
I think I may have found a simpler solution.

I was manually switching the "CommFailure" to 0, and it would work, but then reoccur later.

I noticed the "Timeout" setting default for my device was 5.   I assume this is in seconds.  I switched it to 60, and everything worked fine after that.

Still not knowing where to put that code snippet.  luup.set_failure(false)

Offline Pestus

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2015, 08:41:40 am »
Nope.  Didn't solve it for long.

Sigh.  Can anyone take the time to tell me where to put that "luup.set_failure(false)" snippet?  :(

Offline hmspain

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2015, 08:47:19 am »
Nope.  Didn't solve it for long.

Sigh.  Can anyone take the time to tell me where to put that "luup.set_failure(false)" snippet?  :(

I can only think of two places to put LUUP code; in a scene (replace "No Luup Code defined"), and in the Vera startup (Apps -> Develop apps -> Edit Startup Lua).  It sounds obvious, but may not be.  Have you found both places?

You can also test LUUP code via Apps -> Develop apps -> Test Luup code (Lua)
VeraPlus, Nest Cameras (6), Siren, Hue Bulbs/Strips/Blooms (65), Fan Dimmer (6), Aeon 4-in-1s (10), Water Sensors (3), Z-Wave Switches (20), Nest Smoke/CO Protects (5), Ecobee 3, HEM Gen2s (2)

Offline Pestus

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2015, 08:48:43 am »
Thank you!

Yes I've tried the start up place.  It didn't help I'm afraid.  The language of posts above implied it has to go into the plugin or something.   I don't know.  I can only assume a user to keyboard interface issue in this case ;)

Offline hmspain

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2015, 08:59:11 am »
Thank you!

Yes I've tried the start up place.  It didn't help I'm afraid.  The language of posts above implied it has to go into the plugin or something.   I don't know.  I can only assume a user to keyboard interface issue in this case ;)

LUUP is a bit magical to me as well.  I found out how to put log file entries in using LUUP, and comment the heck out of my LUUP code.  Then you can go into the log file and figure out what is going on and perhaps more important, when.  Also testing your code snips may help; does it do what you expect?