We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Existing honeycomb single cellular shade  (Read 2369 times)

Offline DrD

• Sr. Newbie
Existing honeycomb single cellular shade
« on: January 19, 2015, 02:56:25 am »
Hi! Is there a way to automate existing single cellular shades. My shades have existing cords and work both ways : top down and bottom up .Thanks. Pierre

Offline rlmalisz

Re: Existing honeycomb single cellular shade
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 03:35:12 pm »
I'd be interested in this as well...my SO loves the top-down/bottom-up shades, and would like something that could be motorized and remotely controlled.  I realize it would take two motors (or God forbid, a transmission), but it seems like this product should exist, and doesn't.

--Richard

Hi! Is there a way to automate existing single cellular shades. My shades have existing cords and work both ways : top down and bottom up .Thanks. Pierre

Offline Kishore

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 05:02:49 pm »
I know this an old post, I am in a similar situation where I want to motorize existing honeycomb shades. My living room has top and bottom windows (3 of them each). I have manual continuous cord loop Bali/Graber cellular shades on the bottom window. I have ordered the same brand/color shade but motorized for the top windows and expecting it to be delivered tomorrow. I have also ordered ZURSTI II to interface with VERA.

Now I am trying to automate the bottom windows by DIY. When I talked to blinds.com rep they told that I cannot motorize existing shade because it has to be manufactured in a way to fit the motor on the head rail. But there are many websites selling the motor as well as the necessary head rail adapters. So I got curious and opened one of the existing shades to see if it can modified to fix the motor. It looks like I have to make couple of changes to the rollup mechanism to fit the motor.

1. The motor is about 5 inches long and to replace the cord loop mechanism with the motor, I have reduce the main rotating shaft's length to make space for the motor. This will require dismantling the cord loop mechanism, remove the 4mm square shaft adapter, manually saw the rotating shaft to the desired length and put is back all together.

2. One of the strings that runs vertical through the shade also need to be moved further to accommodate the motor. I need to make new holes on both the top and bottom rails and re-string in that new location.

Meanwhile I was able to procure 2 used somfy RTS CT32 (older model) and battery wand for $40 each in ebay. I have also ordered the necessary programing reset tool, head rail adapter, battery wand wall clips etc. (another $40) from another web retailer. I am pretty handy with stuff and I theoretically know what to do. If I mess it up, the entire shade will go useless. So I am going to try one shade once I get the accessories. I will post the pictures when I am done with one.

Does anyone have any experience with doing this kind of DIY? Any info will be helpful.

Thanks

Offline Wekurtz74

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 09:03:36 am »
I know this an old post, I am in a similar situation where I want to motorize existing honeycomb shades. My living room has top and bottom windows (3 of them each). I have manual continuous cord loop Bali/Graber cellular shades on the bottom window. I have ordered the same brand/color shade but motorized for the top windows and expecting it to be delivered tomorrow. I have also ordered ZURSTI II to interface with VERA.

Now I am trying to automate the bottom windows by DIY. When I talked to blinds.com rep they told that I cannot motorize existing shade because it has to be manufactured in a way to fit the motor on the head rail. But there are many websites selling the motor as well as the necessary head rail adapters. So I got curious and opened one of the existing shades to see if it can modified to fix the motor. It looks like I have to make couple of changes to the rollup mechanism to fit the motor.

1. The motor is about 5 inches long and to replace the cord loop mechanism with the motor, I have reduce the main rotating shaft's length to make space for the motor. This will require dismantling the cord loop mechanism, remove the 4mm square shaft adapter, manually saw the rotating shaft to the desired length and put is back all together.

2. One of the strings that runs vertical through the shade also need to be moved further to accommodate the motor. I need to make new holes on both the top and bottom rails and re-string in that new location.

Meanwhile I was able to procure 2 used somfy RTS CT32 (older model) and battery wand for $40 each in ebay. I have also ordered the necessary programing reset tool, head rail adapter, battery wand wall clips etc. (another $40) from another web retailer. I am pretty handy with stuff and I theoretically know what to do. If I mess it up, the entire shade will go useless. So I am going to try one shade once I get the accessories. I will post the pictures when I am done with one.

Does anyone have any experience with doing this kind of DIY? Any info will be helpful.

Thanks
Any update on your project?  I would like to do something like this.