We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: PLUGIN: Ademco Vista Alarm Panel with EVL3  (Read 184821 times)

Offline Dansker

Re: PLUGIN: Ademco Vista Alarm Panel with EVL3
« Reply #450 on: October 01, 2015, 06:13:18 am »
OooooK. Read the 1'st page of this thread, and more.

Downloaded the file and will work on this tomorrow.

Offline James92TSi

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #451 on: October 01, 2015, 09:18:16 am »
Any idea why I'd be seeing "Can't detect device" on my EVL3 Panel device?

This is a known issue with UI7... Sometimes it just doesn't "detect" the device, but the device works properly...

I have not had any prior reports of this happening with the plug, so I have not added the workaround (ie: don't fix what isn't broken)... I will add the workaround to the next version.

A quick fix is...
Find the Device ID of the panel device (displayed at the top of the advanced tab)...
Go go Apps/Develop Apps/Test Luup code (lua), and enter the following:
Code: [Select]
luup.set_failure(false,DEVICE_ID)
return true
(don't forget to replace DEVICE_ID with the Device Id of your panel device)
and click on "Go"

BTW... Only one download of the latest version with User Code Management... Am I wasting my time adding new features???
Thank you for the quick fix; now my Vera indicates happy face (lol).

Re: new versions... I will probably look at updating over the weekend or next week.  For me, the Vera, zwave locks, and this plugin are all part of a system that my family uses every day, so I try to mess with it only when I'll have time to dig in if something doesn't work out right.

I definitely appreciate the continued development!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 10:41:45 am by James92TSi »

Offline Dansker

« Reply #452 on: October 02, 2015, 06:01:44 am »
I uninstalled the version obtained from the app store.

Installed the latest 4.00dev60, configured IP, etc. reload..., nothing configured, want to test Read Panel Config. EVL3 firmware is 01.12.161A  Panel ROM says "WA20P-2.5, Pittway 2003 Rev 2.5"

I now get Connection down with gusto, Reload starts from "Settings:Z-WAve:advanced", but not when hitting "Reload Engine" in app. It never runs more than 1-3 minutes before "connection down" reappears. Have rebooted several times as well, same result. This takes place without attempting to read panel. Any suggestions?

With the released app, I would get "connection down" about once/week (been running for about 1 month). ELV3 and VeraEdge is on same Netgear Prosafe Plus switch.

Separately, the app does not show up under installed app. If I wish to reinstall the released version,  should I just install over the existing manual install, or is restore from backup the best way?

Offline Dansker

« Reply #453 on: October 02, 2015, 03:40:55 pm »
Not sure what is going on: at a separate site, where I had the app store version installed with two partitions configured, the following happened:

In preparation for installing the latest beta version, I deleted the two partitions. After that, I now get communications down on that system as well. It has been running fine (no connection down errors) for about one month. After reloading LuA it comes back online and reports correctly "no zones defined". After a couple of minutes, it reports communications down. Same EVL3 ROM, but brand new panel (do not have ROM version of panel) handy.

Offline BillFulton

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #454 on: October 02, 2015, 10:51:06 pm »
Hi, everything seems to be working fine, i loaded the latest version by simply overwriting the existing installation by uploading all files through the Develop Apps, LUUP files screen and rebooting Vera, but I have two questions.

1. I have a wireless siren (5800WAVE) in my garage and cannot figure out how to add it as a siren, not sure I even need to except to monitor battery level (it's plugged into an outlet)

2. One zone - Bathroom Window shows highlighted in red even though I removed the zone and re-added it using the dictionary words. It appears to not like the word Bathroom.

Thanks for the wonderful work cybrmage.

Offline Dansker

« Reply #455 on: October 03, 2015, 07:39:59 am »
Additional info: as soon as I manually enter just one zone, connection error messages no longer appear.

Offline cybrmage

« Reply #456 on: October 03, 2015, 03:13:42 pm »
1. I have a wireless siren (5800WAVE) in my garage and cannot figure out how to add it as a siren, not sure I even need to except to monitor battery level (it's plugged into an outlet)

The 5800wave does not use the "wireless zone" mechanism for siren operation... it uses the "house Id" mechanism... The wireless sirens are not exposed by the panel.

It does use the "wireless zone" mechanism for tamper/battery troubles, and it should be exposed as a door/window sensor by the plugin, if it has the zone configured in the panel.

I do not have one of these devices to test against, so if your siren IS configured in your panel for tamper/battery monitoringm please turn on DEBUG MODE in the plugin and post the startup logs.

2. One zone - Bathroom Window shows highlighted in red even though I removed the zone and re-added it using the dictionary words. It appears to not like the word Bathroom.

This is a tricky one... Yes, "bathroom" is a supported word... but on any zone number greater that 9, if it is used as the first word, it causes the first line of the LCD to exceed the display width... The normal wordaround is to use a blank word as the first word...

A quick check revealed that the supported word code revealed that, yes there is a bug in the supported word code (it loses the "blank" word if used as the first word)... I'll investigate further and post a fix (will be a little while...)

Additional info: as soon as I manually enter just one zone, connection error messages no longer appear.

So... You basically mis-configure the plugin on purpose and are surprised when it does not function the way you expect it to?!?!?!

This "issue" is by design... No Zones configured = nothing for the plugin to do... It drops all messages from the EVL3 (because it can't process them, they are invalid). No valid messages = no communication with the panel = CONNECTION DOWN.

Why would you delete the configuration before updating the plugin??? I go to great lengths to ensure that any new features retain backward compatibility.

The "read panel" feature is a convenience function... designed to speed up initial configuration... detecting the configuration with this function does NOT add any functionality over manual configuration...

If you are getting "connection down" messages when the plugin is properly configured, you have an issue with your network, your EVL3 or your panel... something is preventing communications with the panel... Later (and current) panels (Rev 5.0 and up) send keypad update messages send control panel update messages (which are received by the EVL3 and forwarded to the plugin) every 10 to 60 seconds when the panel is idle... Older revision panels may not send the control panel updates with this frequency... you may need to change the "CheckConnectionTimer" variable to a greater value... Your panel/EVL3 may not be configured correctly, causing control panel updates to be missed... Your panel may be old enough that the EVL3 is not fully compatible with it... the possibilities are endless... If you don't provide logs, it is impossible to tell what is going on....

All of this has been discussed previously in the thread.

I uninstalled the version obtained from the app store.
Which deleted the panel/partition/sensor device(s) (but NOT the plugin files)... which holds the configuration.

Reload starts from "Settings:Z-WAve:advanced", but not when hitting "Reload Engine" in app.
Which means you have not uploaded ALL of the files in the v4.0 version to your Vera...

Separately, the app does not show up under installed app.
Because you set it up manually, it was not "Installed" by the Vera installation mechanism... It will not appear in the list of plugings that the Vera installation mechanism has "Installed".

Offline Dansker

« Reply #457 on: October 03, 2015, 04:35:06 pm »
Thank you very much for your explanations.

I attempted to remove/delete the existing install and configuration to check the read panel feature. I have a couple of additional installations to do and wanted to check it out. If the read panel only works when nothing is configured and communications down is reported when nothing is configured, how does one go about using the read panel feature? Chicken vs egg first problem?

Restored from backup (old version back including configuration), uploaded the files from your beta release, all back working fine. Bumped the ConnectionDownTimer to 360 for the (very) old panel. I was pretty surprised it worked in the first place with a now 12 year old panel.

Again, thank you for your help! -and all your work!

Offline cybrmage

« Reply #458 on: October 03, 2015, 04:59:24 pm »
Chicken vs egg first problem?

No... not a Chicken vs Egg problem... A design decision...

Unlike (most) other plugins, the EVL3Vista plugin runs continuously, even if startup exceptions should cause the plugin to exit (this allows configuration and advanced options from the UI without having to manually change plugin variables under the advanced tab).

Even without a valid configuration, the plugin continues to run... If the plugin fails to connect to the EVL3, it will issue the "connection down" error immediately... Otherwise, it will display the configuration error (No IP, No passwod, etc) and then idle (receiving messages from the EVL3 but not processing them).. then, after the Connection Down timer expires, it displays the "connection down" error.

If the plugin is not configured right -- startup -> configuration error -> "connection down" message.
If the plugin has an unexpected bug that causes it to crash - startup -> configuration error -> no "connection down" message.

It's a design decision that allows me to do some debugging of user reported issues even before logs are posted... (and has been discussed several times in the thread)...

how does one go about using the read panel feature?

You click on the "read panel config" button...

If the panel could not connect to the EVL3, it would have displayed a "could not connect" message long before the "connection down" message is displayed.

If the plugin gets disconnected from the EVL3, it automatically tri.es to reconnect... If you attempt to read the panel config and the connection has been lost (and has not been re-established), the plugin will display a "not connected" message...

Offline BillFulton

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #459 on: October 03, 2015, 10:52:22 pm »

The 5800wave does not use the "wireless zone" mechanism for siren operation... it uses the "house Id" mechanism... The wireless sirens are not exposed by the panel.

It does use the "wireless zone" mechanism for tamper/battery troubles, and it should be exposed as a door/window sensor by the plugin, if it has the zone configured in the panel.

I do not have one of these devices to test against, so if your siren IS configured in your panel for tamper/battery monitoringm please turn on DEBUG MODE in the plugin and post the startup logs.

This is a tricky one... Yes, "bathroom" is a supported word... but on any zone number greater that 9, if it is used as the first word, it causes the first line of the LCD to exceed the display width... The normal wordaround is to use a blank word as the first word...

A quick check revealed that the supported word code revealed that, yes there is a bug in the supported word code (it loses the "blank" word if used as the first word)... I'll investigate further and post a fix (will be a little while...)

I did neglect to say that the bathroom window is a wired sensor on zone 6.

The wireless siren is currently set up as a wireless door sensor on Vera. It works fine when triggered by an alarm.

I've attached the entire log since I didn't know what to edit out.

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 10:55:50 pm by BillFulton »

Offline Dansker

« Reply #460 on: October 05, 2015, 02:23:46 am »
Thank you again for your explanations.

I did successfully read the panel with the recent ROM version.

Exploring the app and all the new options are very nice.

One issue: on both panels (one new, one 12 years old) the "Codes" option returns "Error executing function showUserCodes(): Invalid character"

Also, What is the "Annunciator Mode"?  -and "Siren Support" shows Disabled, -what is it supposed to do?

All the best.

Offline Buxton

« Reply #461 on: October 09, 2015, 03:39:47 am »
Cybrmage, are you picking up zone labels as text from the Vista keypad LEDs?  Or are you picking up the 3 digit code for the labels.   I'm asking because almost all of my labels are hilit in red in the zone screen.  Per Vista programming, all are legal names.  I would like to keep them as they are sent to me as descriptors for any zone fault.

If you can pick up the 3 digit code, could you do a translation to Vista's label through your software.  That would solve any concatenation issues.

Offline cybrmage

« Reply #462 on: October 11, 2015, 05:28:56 am »
EXPERIMENTAL UPDATE: v4.0dev85
-- added - Live update in User Code Management (synchronize codes to panel)
-- fixed - zone labels marked as invalid under certain conditions
-- changed - tweaked Virtual Keypad display
-- fixed - minor errors in Output device static json file

Updated/Added Files:
---------------------------
J_EVL3VistaKeypad.js
D_EVL3VistaAlarmOutput1.json
S_EVL3VistaAlarmPanel1.xml
I_EVL3VistaAlarmPanel1.xml
J_EVL3VistaUserCodes.js
L_EVL3VistaAlarmPanel1.lua
J_EVL3VistaAlarmPanel1.js
D_EVL3VistaAlarmPanel1.json

[ATTACHMENT SUPERSEDED]
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 03:40:32 am by cybrmage »

Offline cybrmage

« Reply #463 on: October 11, 2015, 05:49:50 am »
Also, What is the "Annunciator Mode"?  -and "Siren Support" shows Disabled, -what is it supposed to do?

Annuciator mode: Uses an "Annunciator" device on the Vera to announce zone and arming events. Supported annunciator devices include Sonos, Squeezebox, Imperihome and DLNA plugins installed on the Vera.

Siren support: Allows direct control of Z-Wave Siren or Siren/Strobe devices by the plugin. Siren devices are activated when the panel goes into alarm. Strobe devices are activated when a trouble condition exists or when an alarm condition exists. Supported Siren devices are any Z-Wave Device that reports as a siren. Supported Siren/Strobe devices are the Fortrezz SSA series of devices.

Offline Dansker

« Reply #464 on: October 12, 2015, 01:37:21 am »
Thanks for the info.

Downloaded dev85, installed fine on two systems. UI for codes is a very nice enhancement, and what a panel, -nicer than mine...

Also, since increasing the "CheckConnectionTimer" on the old panel (doubled default) I have not had any panel disconnects.

Thank you, thank you and thank you, all very nicely done!