We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: What's the best in-wall light switch for LED lights?  (Read 1144 times)

Offline acurioso

What's the best in-wall light switch for LED lights?
« on: October 12, 2014, 10:29:31 pm »
Hi everyone,

I have a Vera 3 and a bunch of Philips Hue lights. I'd like to be able to control the lights on a switch level (not color, just whether or not they have power).

Also, yes, I know I can turn them on and off through the Hue controller. But I'd like to be able to use the wall switch without pulling out my phone on the occasion I just want light.

All the Z-Wave in-wall switches I've seen seem to have one of two problems:
  • They hum
  • They don't work with LED lights because they require a small current going through the circuit at all times

What would be a good in-wall Z-Wave switch? I also have a fan in the room as well so I'm also looking for a fan controller.

Other notes:
  • I have a newer home so I do have a neutral line.
  • I have to fit four of these next to each other so they need to be thin enough to fit in the same box.

Thank you in advance for any advise you can give.

Offline Katmai

Re: What's the best in-wall light switch for LED lights?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 06:48:11 am »
I don't have Hue bulbs so I can't speak to that. Generally unless someone is already doing what you're doing and can give you direct knowledge of using your bulbs to a particular switch, you'll probably have to experiment to see which switches work best. Some combinations work better than others. There is no single answer on which is best for what.

The 2 wire switches require a current going through them, so generally aren't good with LEDs. The 3 wire ones which require a neutral are the ones you'll have to buy. Unless you have a bank of lights connected to the one switch and can put one regular bulb in there. That will solve that problem. The rest can be LEDs.

I believe the only fan controller is a Leviton one. No one else makes one off the shelf that I know of unless you go with Insteon or make your own through other means.

All of the switches I know of fit in a standard box, but from my experience you really want AT LEAST a standard box. Larger is preferable. The switches fit but they take up most of the space. If you have lots of wires in there as is the case with a multi gang unit, it can get crowded. But they do fit. You just might have to undo everything in a box and repack it neatly to fit everything.