Author Topic: Differentiating "Away" from "Auto Away"  (Read 1740 times)

Offline PreZ

Differentiating "Away" from "Auto Away"
« on: October 17, 2014, 05:16:22 pm »
I wrote a small patch (I didn't want to get too deep in the weeds trying to do it), to differentiate "away" from "auto away" in the Nest Structure object.

Essentially, what you will see are 3 modes:
Home:         OccupancyState = "Occupied", Status = 1
Auto Away:  OccupancyState = "Unoccupied", Status = 1
Away:          OccupancyState = "Unoccupied", Status = 0

There is a big difference between away and auto away.  Away is something I explicitly set - something that the Nest will not change unless I explicitly change it.  However it switches between Home and Auto Away all the time by itself.

I have my Vera setup to automatically change my house mode by various factors.  When my alarm system is not armed, and it's daytime, it switches to "Home", at night time it switches to "Night".  When my alarm system is armed, but my Nest status is 1 (which now means 'home' or 'auto away'), it switches to "Away".  When my alarm system is armed, and my Nest status is 0 (which means explicitly set to 'away'), it switches to "Vacation".

The nice thing about the above, is that if I'm going to be away for a while, all I have to do is set my thermostat to away and arm my alarm, and Vera handles the house mode change itself.  And otherwise, as long as I don't explicitly set my thermostat to away, it switches automatically between Home, Night and Away based on my alarm state and time of day.

I am sure the original creator could probably do this better, making the Structure actually display properly "Home", "Auto Away" and "Away", or something.  But this is a quick and dirty hack that works for me, without needing to learn lua in depth or understand how to write Vera plugins :)

Just apply the diff to your I_Nest1.xml and upload it :)

Offline TimSRQ

• Sr. Newbie
Re: Differentiating "Away" from "Auto Away"
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 11:47:04 am »
WOW!  This is exactly what I am looking for.

I am trying to treat Away (manually set) as a vacation mode while treating Auto-Away as just away for the day.

This is very useful!

thanks

Offline sleepyghost

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 04:34:21 pm »
I have noticed that the VeraConnect WWN plugin has this same issue, with a few added bugs.  I've emailed Vera support, not sure what else I can do :(

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,31828.msg241264.html#msg241264

Offline mpclimber

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 06:30:06 pm »
Do you know if there is a similar patch for the ecobee?  Any interest in writing one?  I would LOVE to have this functionality.