Author Topic: Simple and Cheap Pool Control Ideas  (Read 2778 times)

Offline Moshman

• Sr. Newbie
Simple and Cheap Pool Control Ideas
« on: October 22, 2014, 02:40:43 pm »
I recently moved into a house and am trying to automate the existing pool equipment and peripherals (10 years old).

The previous owner had a Blue Haven/Jandy automation power center and control board installed however I discovered that they wired around it when they installed a variable speed pentair pump to replace the original. They also installed a separate standard metal can rotary timer box for the 220v cleaner pump. The heater was direct wired and manual on/off and the pool light did not work. I also have 2 manual water valves for a fountain and water fall.

I installed the LED light in the existing fixture, a direct replacement for the incandescent. It was wired to a standard light switch. Before I started the z-wave projects, I installed the intermatic wireless remote controlled receiver, It was expensive for the receiver and key fob but this allowed us to turn on the new LED light from inside. This wired in as a direct replacement for the light switch.

I recently installed the jasco Lowes Iris zwave switch in parallel with the remote controlled intermatic switch. This way the family can still use the key fob to turn on the light. I was worried about putting the jasco in an all metal box furthest away from the base unit but after a network repair/reconvergence it is working great. The LED light now comes on at dusk and goes off 4 hours later. Both the jasco zwave and the intermatic radio switch will have to be off for the light to be off. They both work fine since they are both on the same AC phase. A zwave remote control is a better sollution but I dont have/need one yet.

Next, the cleaner pump. The old blue haven cabinet had a PCB, transformer, and relays. I removed the PCB permanently but decided to save some money and reuse the tranformer and relays. The relays were plugged into the PCB for activation however they dont care what they are plugged into. The coil is 12VDC. The existing transformer is a 110-240AC to 24VAC converter. It will not activate the relays. They need DC voltage. Radio shack makes a bridge rectifier that will connect to the transformer 24VAC output and convert it to 24VDC. This triggered my relay and turned on the cleaner pump. The plan was to install the remotech fixed contact z-wave switch to the positive relay lead and have Vera trigger the pump. As it turns out the AC to DC conversion with the transformer and the bridge rectifier is not regulated so the DC voltage fluctuates and the voltage is not steady. There is an easy fix, check out web sites for sample circuits for this. A radio shack transformer and a few components soldered together can provide the right solution however it will take some time to put it together and make it safe.

I decided to get on ebay and look for a 24VDC power supply. I used my kids razor scooter battery charger (24V) to test the relays, worked great. I found a Amperor waterproof supply that will provide 3.5 amps at 24VDC to power the relay for the cleaner pump. This power supply is a standard 110 on the input, I am installing the Jasco Lowes Iris on/off switch this afternoon.

I will have the LED light and the cleaner pump on jasco zwave switches.

As for the pool heater, I intend to use the second relay activated by the same power supply that is used for the cleaner pump. I will install the remotech fixed contact zwave switch on the positive 24VDC lead to the relay coil.

I want to install the motorized gate valves for my two water features eventually, same concept - power supply and contact switches

The Pentair variable speed pump has its own menu and scheduling system which is why the previous owner chose to use that versus the original control system. There is another thread in here for this. The problem is that we dont know what the commands are. Nobody has deciphered and made them public yet. Once we get the language/protocol/commands figured out we can use the Vera to overide the onboard scheduling system and manage remotely via rs485 converted to something else.

Offline Moshman

• Sr. Newbie
Re: Simple and Cheap Pool Control Ideas
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 03:22:47 pm »
I picked up a Pentair Intellicom II interface for $100 off ebay. It will run my intelliflo pump at 4 different speeds. It is triggered by simple low voltage relays. I will install a open sprinkler unit in my garage to control the intellicom, spinkler system, garage door opener, and camera on/off.