We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Support for Mercury 350.115 power plugs  (Read 3116 times)

Offline Andy

• Sr. Newbie
Support for Mercury 350.115 power plugs
« on: October 23, 2014, 12:23:50 pm »
Thanks for this plugin, once I get everything working (just starting) it will be invaluable!

I was hoping to get some existing power plugs working, but it seems the plugin does not support these yet, though the RFXtrx433 does?

I have the a UK version which suggests they are available elsewhere too.

Is there something technically preventing support, or is it something that could be added in the future (if I can help I will)? I would like to buy some more if so - they are reliable and very good value @ ?4 a piece.

I found a post suggesting you could put the plug in learning mode, and send it an Energenie code from Vera, which it would henceforth accept as its new on/off code, however I've tried this without success, and it didn't sound likely anyway... Generic ebay remotes can used to do this though, so maybe it is possible.

Offline lolodomo

• Master Member
Re: Support for Mercury 350.115 power plugs
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 08:09:43 am »
Thanks for this plugin, once I get everything working (just starting) it will be invaluable!

I was hoping to get some existing power plugs working, but it seems the plugin does not support these yet, though the RFXtrx433 does?

I have the a UK version which suggests they are available elsewhere too.

Is there something technically preventing support, or is it something that could be added in the future (if I can help I will)? I would like to buy some more if so - they are reliable and very good value @ ?4 a piece.

I don't find on the RFXCOM web site something mentioning the support of this device.

I found a post suggesting you could put the plug in learning mode, and send it an Energenie code from Vera, which it would henceforth accept as its new on/off code, however I've tried this without success, and it didn't sound likely anyway... Generic ebay remotes can used to do this though, so maybe it is possible.

I am not sure to understand what you are saying.
Are you telling that the mercury device is identical to an Energenie device while the Energenie device is supported by RFXCOM ?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 08:48:39 am by lolodomo »

Offline Andy

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 11:40:18 am »
I don't find on the RFXCOM web site something mentioning the support of this device.

In the RFXtrx manual, there is a section describing Mercury devices and a special process to use them - it was this that I was wondering about the plugin supporting. They are listed as supported devices with a link to a web page which includes the power plug product I have (350.115).

I am not sure to understand what you are saying.
Are you telling that the mercury device is identical to an Energenie device while the Energenie device is supported by RFXCOM ?

Sorry, I wasn't clear... I came across a post (http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=166595) that suggested Energenie commands should work with Mercurys. The post involved Bert, and I contacted RFX directly and he replied saying the same thing - he guessed  that because there is a Mercury 5-gang power strip with the same product code (429.950) as an Energenie, there was a good chance they are the same product. However, I don't know why Bert thinks there is an Energenie with this product code as I have not been able to find that.

Assuming Bert is right with his guess, the Mercury 429.950 has a remote that looks the same as the one that came with my power plugs, but who knows if it really is the same internally.

However, my product is the 350.115 so even if those two Mercury/Energenie) 4 gang products are the same, perhaps the different Mercury products use different protocols.

It is all very confusing and I get the feeling wires have been crossed somewhere... It is strange that Bert is telling me to use Energenie codes, while the manual is proposing a different method entirely, and I need to get back to Bert about that...

Offline Andy

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 11:43:06 am »
Ah just saw Bert's comment in a different post about Lighting 4 and Mercury, and your response saying the plugin won't support Lighting 4. I guess that means this is a dead end, but I am even mopre confused now as I am seeing apparently contradictory information in different places... Ah well.

Offline alanharvey

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 05:53:54 am »
I realise this is an old thread but I hope  this response might help somebody.

I am a complete newbie so please excuse the naivety:-
I got the Mercury devices working using The Energenie 5 gang settings. I dismantled the Mercury remote and discovered from the links and the RFX/trx manual reference for the Energenie units that they were set to house code J. So I set Vera/RFX up to that and bingo! I also had a second set that was also originally on house code J. I followed the Mercury instructions to clear them and disassociate them from the hand controller and then associated them with Vera set to house code K. Now both sets are all switchable individually from within Vera.

I've had these Mercury units a couple of years and found them to be reliable and cheap, so worth the effort to re-use them.

Alan

Offline Chrisfraser05

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 06:58:49 am »
I realise this is an old thread but I hope  this response might help somebody.

I am a complete newbie so please excuse the naivety:-
I got the Mercury devices working using The Energenie 5 gang settings. I dismantled the Mercury remote and discovered from the links and the RFX/trx manual reference for the Energenie units that they were set to house code J. So I set Vera/RFX up to that and bingo! I also had a second set that was also originally on house code J. I followed the Mercury instructions to clear them and disassociate them from the hand controller and then associated them with Vera set to house code K. Now both sets are all switchable individually from within Vera.

I've had these Mercury units a couple of years and found them to be reliable and cheap, so worth the effort to re-use them.

Alan

What unit code were you using Alan?

Is this the Mercury 350?

Offline Chrisfraser05

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 07:00:14 am »
Infact Scrach that.

I've just got mine working, Unit code 1!

Cheers for the help pal, I was trying ARC, Home easy and Bye Bye settings

Offline Chrisfraser05

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 02:52:54 pm »
Update from me.....

Used 1 socket in the porch, and 3 in the kitchen all controlling lights.

Within 12 hours the one in the porch stopped working, within 24hours 1 in the kitchen also gave up.

All are now in the bin.

Back to my Energenie ener002 plugs instead.